1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most overrated NFL stat?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by giddyup, Oct 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Major

Major Member

I guess I shouldn't say "worse QB" but it was a worse perfomance than the other QB's. It may be the system, it may be that the QB sucks, or it may be that the receivers suck. Whatever it was though, the QB w/ a low YPA had a "worse game", in my opinion, than the others in the scenarios above.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Damn Major, we just can't seem to agree on anything today. :D

I like the bench points stat. Let's say that team A's second unit makes a big run on team B's second unit. That forces team B's starters back on the court sooner than expected, meaning they'll be more tired at the end of the game and not as effective

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I can't believe that no one has mentioned "Time of Possession".

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You think that's an overrated stat?

5. Manny Ramirez

Sure, because turnovers play a big part as does special teams plays. It is probably worse in college football than the NFL, but how many times have you seen a team go on a monster drive of like 16 plays or more and eat up 10 minutes and miss a field goal?

6. Major

Major Member

I can't believe that no one has mentioned "Time of Possession".

Totally agree - that's a terrible stat!!

A team that runs a bunch of running plays is going to have a higher time of possession just because of how the clock works. Its even worse in college with the clock stopping on 1st downs (meaning pass plays eat even less time). Or a team with a no-huddle offense eats less time but probably tires out an opponent more.

I've never understood why they don't just use offensive plays, since that's more representative of how long a team really is out there doing something.

7. Major

Major Member

Damn Major, we just can't seem to agree on anything today.

Can we both agree "points scored" is a good stat? :D

I like the bench points stat. Let's say that team A's second unit makes a big run on team B's second unit. That forces team B's starters back on the court sooner than expected, meaning they'll be more tired at the end of the game and not as effective

But if my starters are presumably better than my bench, do I really want my bench doing any scoring? For example, if I'm the Lakers this year, I want Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton running the offense. I don't really care if my bench isn't scoring, because that probably means the other 4 are scoring more. I just think its really subjective - a high scoring bench could mean your starters just plain suck. :)

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand, I was going to say its probably less important in College, where teams are more likely to get blown out by big plays,

but it has a purpose, just ask Tampa Bay's defense about blowing that lead against Indy if they wish their offense would have stayed on the field more.

Playing defense can be very tiresome in every sport, because you have to react.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He's a Broncos fan. The only thing that's underrated are illegal blocks. ;)

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I think it can be a useful stat late in the game. It can be an indication of how tired a defense is. The longer on offense has the ball the longer a defense is on the field. However once the game is over it is complely useless. I also hate when tv analyst try to use time of possession as some kind of indication of offensive domince.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Major, a high scoring bench doesn't mean your starters suck, it just means that your reserves are good enough to rest your starters more minutes. Your starters aren't going to play every minute, so you want the most out of your bench as possible. Over the course of a season, you don't want your bench scoring most of the points, but on a game by game basis, it's good to know that your bench is capaple of coming in and scoring.

About time of possession, that's a stat that means either everything, or nothing. If you score TDs, time of possession means everything. If you don't score TDs, it means nothing.

Also, for some reason, defenses seem to get tired more easily than offenses. If you keep the ball for seven minutes but only get a field goal, not only did you keep the opposing offense off the field, but you tired down the opposing defense

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I had not even noticed... 4000! Is that a back-handed "Congratulations?"

13. Major

Major Member

Major, a high scoring bench doesn't mean your starters suck, it just means that your reserves are good enough to rest your starters more minutes. Your starters aren't going to play every minute, so you want the most out of your bench as possible. Over the course of a season, you don't want your bench scoring most of the points, but on a game by game basis, it's good to know that your bench is capaple of coming in and scoring.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the starters suck, but it <I>could</I> do so. If your starters do suck, your team is likely to have a relatively high scoring bench just because they'll have more opportunities. That's why I think it's a silly stat. Looking at bench scoring between teams, to me, doesn't really tell me too much about the teams.

14. Manny Ramirez

Just think giddy if you had your posts from the "RichRocket" account added on to yours now! You would have as many posts as me! Mwhahahahahahahaha;)

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I disagree with those saying Time of Possesion is an over-rated stat.

It shows ball control and how long you kept the opposing team's defense out on the field.

In MOST cases, I think you'll see that teams with higher TOP tend to be more successful...wearing out an opposing team's defense creates big plays for your team.

Also...I don't think 1000 yards rushing is all that over rated either.

USUALLY, only good backs tend to get 1000 yards...and one thing it really tends to show is how healthy your back can stay.

16. Major

Major Member

I disagree with those saying Time of Possesion is an over-rated stat.

It shows ball control and how long you kept the opposing team's defense out on the field.

But TOP shows a team that passes the ball 25 times to be different than a team that runs the ball 25 times - that seems incorrect. Both instances had the defense on the field for 25 plays. Why not just use "offensive plays"?

USUALLY, only good backs tend to get 1000 yards...and one thing it really tends to show is how healthy your back can stay.

I dunno... 17 running backs got 1000 yards last year. And another 7 had at least 900 yards. That's 24 out of 32 teams.