1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[???] NFL to use city buildings/service for FREE!?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockHEAD, Oct 20, 2003.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

---

click for complete article - article above has been edited.

2. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Boooooo...we got stiffed.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

And, on top of this, they are asking Houstonians to volunteer for Super Bowl Week.

Anyone who volunteers is a stooge, IMHO.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought we were supposed to make money on this deal!

I love how Houston wants to "clean up" the city for the Superbowl. Um...what about "cleaning up" for those of us that acutally live here and pay taxes? I guess we're not worth it...

Ironically, the corporate slobs that we're cleaning up for are just going to trash it while they're here and then trash it in the media after they leave. It's kind of like cleaning your house for a frat party.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, the good news is that all the hotel and rental car tax revenue created during the Superbowl just might pay for the new arena all at once. :D

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Cities make a lot of money by hosting big events like Super Bowls and the olympics, that is why there is so much competition for them. Don't worry about the fees that they are getting comped on, it's really no big deal.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The city will get lots of money from the Super Bowl. The rent car and hotel taxes alone will be a ton, but just the sheer amount of money that all those people pump into the local economy would be worth it.

Think about cutting the rent from the stadium to Gilette mailing you a free Mach 3 Turbo...they make all the money on the secondary purchases.

8. Summer Song Giver

Tell me we are gonna atleast break even on the deal.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Kinda like people getting comped in Vegas. They not gonna be hurting on the deal...