1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is clint capelas ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSquirm, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Lightsnowaction

Ceiling is Deandre Jordan or mini Serge Ibaka (without jumpshot). Really needs to gain lower body strength and upper body to control the paint and rebounds.

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

[​IMG]

Kevin Willis ,a bit shorter but with longer arm

3. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

CHUCK THE CHUCKWAGON HAYESSSSSSSSSSSSS

4. Nas

Nas Member

I think prime Tyson chandler is the ceiling. Best case scenario he'd even have a reliable hook and counter move.

And that would be such a great thing to have on our team. A really fun game would be trying to predict what kind of contract Clint gets after next year.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Clint's ceiling will be determined by how much additional weight effects his athleticism and explosiveness . Also if his groin injuries from a few years ago are chronic are not .

Rookie Capela was exceptionally quick . I don't think he can maintain that leve of speed . He was keeping up with klay and curry and really moving his feet well during the playoffs in 15 .

He's had to get stronger to play more minutes at center .

If he develops his skills a bit more and becomes more adept at using his quickness I can see an upside of a top 10 center

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nope. KW could shoot a freakin' free throw. 71% for his career. Right now, Clint's at 36% from the charity stripe. That simply isn't good enough, putting aside Willis or any other comparison. Capela is our starting center. He needs to improve that aspect of his game, like yesterday. It's ridiculous.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Hard to say until he fills out, as he seems to be a lot thinner than the traditional defense and rebounding bigs. He moves well though, has looked pretty good in transition for a big man and I think he's all ready a really good pick-man. His scoring outside of that doesn't really matter to me, as he would never be a big post-scoring option anyway in a Harden-D'Antoni offense, though I would like to see him improve his free throw shooting.

To answer the question, I can't really give you a comp because I see him as a different type of center, a more new-era center. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star, but I already consider him a quality starting center so hopefully he only goes up from here. We'll see.

8. fattz

fattz Member

I think this is it... Trade him now. IMO he needs to play more minutes "to take the next step" He can't or he would log the time already. Nice person but he is who he is.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think if he could learn to shoot ft's he could be a chinanu onuaku level player

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Before talking about guys like Willis and Camby whose career average might be Capela's ceiling ... (Willis's ceiling was 19ppg / 15 rpb for godsakes, and Camby averaged nearly 10 rpg for his career and led the league in blocks 4 years) maybe we should all focus first on what Clint's ceiling in minutes per game is. Hell, we don't even know that, yet.

Right now he is:
    23.3 mpg

We can't even call him a starter, until he's worthy of more than 50% of the minutes. He might never reach 30 mpg, not because of stamina or anything like that, but because he'll never beat out the competition enough to warrant being anything more than a platoon player at center, while also losing out to stretches of small-ball lineups all his life due to lack of FT shooting.

malakas likes this.
  11. Socrates

Socrates Member

Heard a mention of this injury a couple of years ago while he was playing in d-league. I remember someone saying that the injury affected his conditioning.

If he hasn't recovered from it in two years, then it's most likely chronic.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If he could miraculously develop a shot it but then the Rockets could not afford him anymore.

13. CertifiedTroll

a lesser Terrence Jones

14. malakas

malakas Member

10 per? Maybe less.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

D'Antoni on Capela's minutes and "best game overall."

Rockets think Clint Capela can do even more
    By Jonathan Feigen Published 2:04 pm, Tuesday, November 15, 2016​

--------------------------------------------
    "Last night might have been his best game overall," D'Antoni said. "The biggest thing is his energy level seemed to where he can now sustain 25 minutes – we'd like to get 30 minutes – of rebounding, blocking shots, running the floor. He's progressing real nice."

Capela had a season-high 13 rebounds and a career-high five blocked shots. Hakeem Olajuwon was the last Rockets player to post those number in 26 or fewer minutes, in Detroit in the 1987-88 season. Capela's 60 percent shooting this season is second in the NBA.

"He wants to get better," Rockets guard James Harden said. "On the court and in the weight room, he just wants to get better. A young guy like that, continues to work and wants to get better, great things will happen for him. We're all seeing it. I stay on him every single day about never letting up, continue to work hard, be the best you can be and he's doing that.
    --------------------------------------------​

Williamson likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's what I love to hear! 1. It's wonderful to hear from his team mates that Capela is dedicated to being the best he can be. 2. It's great to hear that Harden is taking on that leadership role and pushing/encouraging our young guys.

heypartner likes this.
  17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would have said Marcus Camby or Tyson Chandler but both those guys could actually shoot a free throw pretty respectably. Dalembert also shot atleast 60%.

Defensively, a mix between those three is around what I think Capela can be. He needs to become a much better rebounder though.

He is just too raw on offense to really predict where he will be.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If he can bring the juice he brought against philly against elite centers he can become a top 10 center . It's tough to find a player comp to him . He's not 7ft tall , though he does have an impressive wingspan . He's also not an athletic freak like griffin , nor is he as skilled as most PF's . He's definitely a center skill wise .

He reminds me of a young Amir Johnson , but playing next to harden .

If he can improve his strength while not losing or hopefully gaining some explosion then we are talking about a real player because he gets it defensively . His positioning and effort can and have been excellent . And he gets up quickly for lobs . If he can develop a 15 footer / become better foul shooter then he can be solid in his own right .

But playing with harden is making him look much better offensively than he is . The defense is legit

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

22 minutes
    7-9 shooting
    2-2 free throws - REMEMBER WHEN THIS WAS CRINGEWORTHY TO WATCH?
    16 Points
    9 Rebounds
    2 Asst
    1 steal
    1 block

THIS SEASON
    23 minutes
    .651 shooting
    12 ppg
    7.5 Rebs

What do we want from the position?

Rocket River