1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Westbrook set the NBA Usage record?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Oct 31, 2016.

?

Is he setting record?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Currently the record is held by kobe at about 38%. Westbrook is at 40%. He does more than kobe in terms of assists and rebounds, and he isn't afraid to jack up 40 shots. I think he is getting that record this year.

2. hvic

hvic Member

I am pretty sure he can

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Wouldn't surprise me.

4. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Once a brick always will be a Westbrick, but i think he looks ok .. :rolleyes:

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Rebounds and assists aren't actually part of the usage rate calculation (FGAs, FTAs, TOVs). That said, I expect he will. It'll be interesting to see how many minutes Donovan will allow him to play. Could bring down his counting stats somewhat.

Yung-T and heypartner like this.
  6. 2small2ball

2small2ball Member

Hope this dude averages a triple-double for the season. It would be awesome to witness.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not only that. Quite a few other records can be broken by GOATbrook this season.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Davis is at 38% right now.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wow. I was surprised Assists wasn't in calculation. Guess it makes sense when defined as "Percentage of Plays Used". Shooting or TOs means using up a possesstion, I suppose.

But I thought it was more about some type of measure of how dependent the plays were on using the player, thus Assists would add to that measure of how play/possession is going through the player.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Westbrook is abetter player than Durcant

11. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

it depends on where you're looking...

Hollinger USG: Usage Rate - the number of possessions a player uses per 40 minutes. Usage Rate = {[FGA + (FT Att. x 0.44) + (Ast x 0.33) + TO] x 40 x League Pace} divided by (Minutes x Team Pace)

Basketball Reference Usg%: Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

heypartner likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL. Westbrick's play this season reminds me of the time Iverson had with Philly when he played with Mutombo and reached the NBA finals, he's basically playing in the only system that can support him and his jacking it up tendencies. 44 attempts that night against PHX lol, that's gotta be a record or something.

But I gotta hand it to WB he's taken over the leadership role in OKC and it's clearly been inspiring the rest of his teammates. With Oladipo and esp. Steven Adams starting to beast it up they might not end up missing KD as much as I thought they would.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Hopefully he stays healthy. I hold my breathe when I see him crashing through the lane

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ebmiid is currently at 45.5 right now though he's on limited minutes.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Here's to Westbrook breaking Harden's TO record!

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought they were a better team than gsw last year, Durant choked imo, they should've been in the finals