1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Prague - Vienna - Budapest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Thinking of doing this trip next month.

Question: I am flying turkish airlines (i know) since it's only 670$.
    Is it worth it to stop for a few days in Istanbul given the current political climate?

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The safety of you and your family should trump any discounts you may get from an airline. Keep looking around for deals on flights...best of luck at these places. Prague is awesome...

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

odds are you'll be fine in istanbul, and you can even avoid the heavily touristed areas (taskim square and sultanahmet) and still enjoy a lot there. bosphorus cruise, hamam turkish bath, visit the anatolian side, visit the palaces, restaurants, etc.

the castle at prague is very nice, but the city itself is ridiculously overpopulated with tourists, especially at the time you're going. people in prague are very friendly. i'm not a fan of their food (too much greasy bacon in everything) but the beer there is tops.

in vienna, schonbrunn palace is a must, and visit some of the cafes

budapest is actually 2 cities.....the pest side is more crowded and city like (reminds me of buenos aires) and the buda side is hilly and green with all the main tourist sights (actually reminds me of istanbul).

4. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Vienna is absolutely gorgeous. In addition to Schonbrunn Palace, I would also recommend seeing the opera house (they have tours as well as standing room tickets to shows) and the music hall (Musikverein). It's nearly impossible to see a show by the actual Vienna Philharmonic, but it's possible to get standing room tickets to other shows (you go to the box office the day before the show).

I also enjoyed the Mozart House museum, but it can get boring if you're not very interested in history or classical music. It's a very linear and flat exhibit. House of Music was very interactive and fun. If you have little ones, I would definitely do that.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am only doing Prague because people keep saying it's a must go city but my readings tell me how touristy it is!

Sat - fly in
    Sun/Mon/Tues - Prague
    Wed/Thu - Vienna
    Fri/Sat/Sun - Budapest
    Monday - flyout

I want to either add istanbul or swap prague with it. I feel like i am not going to enjoy prague. I hate being a "tourist".

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

If you can't enjoy Prague, there's no hope for you.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Prague is beautiful, but filled with more tourists than anywhere else I've ever been in Europe

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm doing Prague-Vienna next month too

Also doing day trips to Cesky Krumlov and Salzburg.

Going to a concert at the Musikverein.

Any tips on getting some good beer?

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Would you suggest going to these places (not Budapest, I have been there... instead Berlin) in January? Or is it really cold and not much going on then?

I'm also thinking of this almost exact itinerary.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

january will be ice cold in prague/berlin/vienna.....and istanbul will be raining.....i wouldn't recommend at all since all of these are walking cities

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I recently returned from a trip to Europe that included a few days in Budapest. If you get a chance, go to Parliament Square. The enormous Parliament building is worth a visit, but what I really suggest seeing there is the Memorial to the 1956 Hungarian Revolution and War of Independence. It is an underground museum with a very moving history of the 1956 Uprising by Hungarians against the communist regime and the occupying Soviet Army. The uprising was brutally suppressed, with the first beginnings of the revolt happening right there in the square where the museum is. There is a wealth of other things to see in the city, with evidence of the days under the Iron Curtain, as well as the ancient history of the Magyars who settled Hungary, and the days of the Hapsburg Empire. Good food, reasonable prices, incredible spas with natural thermal waters (check out the Gellért Baths - stunning architecture- spend some time enjoying the spa if you can!). We really liked the city and felt very safe there, something to consider these days, unfortunately. I hope to return sometime for a longer visit.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I did Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Dubrovnik last year.

I'd say Prague was my least favorite of the 4. Still a cool place, but really have zero interest in ever going back. Too many tourists...kind of kills the vibe. And the food was not good, worst of all the cities I visited.

13. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Prague- Check out U Medvidku for beers. Try the X33. One of the strongest beers in the world and tasty. If you want a beer break, Hemingway Bar is a great cocktail spot. They're popular so make a reservation if you go.

Salzburg- Augustinerbräu is a must. It's a beer hall in a big basement with lots of local regulars. You grab a mug off the shelf, pay a guy, then take your token/receipt to be filled straight from the wooden barrels of beer they brew. They have multiple food counters ringing the bar to grab dinner/snacks as well. One of the coolest bars in Europe IMO.

Vienna- Nothing I did stood out beer wise. If you're into wine at all, Weinfach Vinothek & Bar is great. The owner is super nice and loves teaching about and pouring Austrian wines. Also, check out a Heuriger. Outdoor wine gardens with cheap eats and often music. Similar to a biergarten feel, but for wine.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Awesome, thanks. The pictures for Augustinerbräu look great

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Vienna is beautiful, great city.

I was disappointed in Prauge, however I did have the flu while there.

I'd still stay in Instanbul if I had the opportunity, unless you have this chance often. While living in the UK, I didn't have the chance to go and it's one of my bigger travel regrets.

16. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Of course. It is a great place. Enjoy!

17. SpGish20

SpGish20 Member

Agree. I was not impressed with Prague. Beautiful city, but after a day there it was kinda boring. But I'm not into all the club party scene though.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Should I skip prague?

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no, just don't go for 3 nites