1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Westbrook closing in on 3 year extension to remain with Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

hahaha @ Lakers

2. BackdoorHarden

This is just a one year extension, so not sure what the big deal is.

He'll be gone next season when he opts out and go to the Lakers

3. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

Harden, Curry, and Westbrook are p4p the most valuable players in the NBA due to age and performance.

anyone know why Curry didnt agree to a deal like this

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Because Harden and Westbrook are in danger of bolting their teams in free agency and Curry isn't.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Wasn't eligible

Don't worry, he'll get his payday

1 person likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Curry couldn't renegotiate a deal like this because it would mean no Durant. OKC can do it because they now have money/cap (similar to Harden restructure both teams had cap space). If Durant didn't join, I'm sure Curry would have been in line for a restructure too (he's way under paid).

Obviously like the Harden deal this only means an extra year or 2 on top of remaining 1, but... It is an interesting move, I don't think Lakers are quite the destination the media keeps shoving down our throats (team owner/management sucks and locker room is a mess). I don't see it getting better soon either (top stars have passed, much like the Knicks attempts). Obviously Knicks are looking better than Lakers, but that's not saying much, haha. Rose thinking they're a super team on GSWs level is laughable.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well.. I screwed up hitting submit late (stepped away), but your answer is a lot easier to follow :)

Hopefully the Green drama and Curry pay will make the semi dream team rupture and it'll all fall apart..

1 person likes this.
  8. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

This deal is as much if not more of a win for Westbrook than the Thunders. Not only is Westbrook getting a bump is salary now from the renegotiation(3rd highest annual salary), the extra year basically allows him to sign a super max with 10 years of service.

Has little to do with Durant.

9. ArtesticNature5

Good for Russ. He gets to be be the man now and in a few years when the lakers are more developed he can bolt.

10. ArtesticNature5

Dang:(:( Rockets could have used him. Gotta wait 2 more years now lolol;)

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

You're just contradicting yourself. WB would actually get MORE money if he didn't sign the extension, because his contract expires when the cap rises again and he can get wined and dined by all the teams with capspace to burn like LA Signing the 3 year deal causes him to miss out on the FA bonanza and IMHO would show a clear signal of his commitment to OKC, just like Harden did with the Rox.

If he does sign it I would applaud him for that, even if I don't like his game and I expect him to get exposed this season.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

It would also lock him in with OKC. For a lot of stars the money they make in salaries is negligible compared to their endorsement deals for example LBJ took a 3M discount to sign with the Heat and he still ended up breaking the bank.

If money was all that mattered to WB then he'd be better off taking his talents to LA, lots of endorsement opportunities there and he'd get instant $$$ from the LA fanboys who would buy his shoes just like what happened with KD. I'm pretty sure the good will and $$$ he'd generate from Under Armour or whoever his shoe sponsor is would totally eclipse whatever money he'd make by signing that super max.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

So at least 2 more years of Westbrook in OKC, cool..

14. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

That is also true. But there's always risks involved in any move. He could be injured before he can sign with the Lakers for example. So an athlete balances everything like a business.

Personally I think he made a great decision. He's only locked up for an extra year, and he's young enough to be a ring chaser in two seasons time. And he's gling to be a hero to all OKC fans and Durant/Curry/GSW haters. He will put up 30/8/8 in a season and probably win the MVP if OKC can win 48-50 games.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

See, I told you Durant's a b!tch.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Mad respect for Westbrook. He could EASILY have forced his way to the Lakers, playing in his hometown with a bunch of budding young stars with cap flexibility and draft picks intact.

17. conquistador#11

respect! true old school player.

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Interesting renegotiation. Increasing in pay this year. Max next year but the salary is not guaranteed! And a player option year 3? I didn't even know it was possible to structure a contract that way.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he stays healthy -- he's going to put up some absurd stats over the next couple of years.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yea some really small percentages too lol