1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anyone considering the Galaxy Note 7 about to be released? I'm considering it but the expected pricetag is north of $900 ... :eek:

2. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

You're right the 6p is a bit smaller than the 6 but by not much. budget about $550 but will go higher for something i really like. Would get the 5x but feel like it would be a bit outdated. No complains with Nexus but would look at other options.
    How's this Axon 7 people are talking about in this thread?

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Allo is near.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'd suggest the 5X also, you can get a 32GB variant of it on eBay for $240 unlocked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Google-Nexus-5X-32GB-12-3-MP-Camera-Unlocked-GSM-CDMA-LTE-Hexa-Core-Phone/191922599546?hash=item2caf7a767a

looking forward to it but damn there is so many messaging apps out there with Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, FB Messenger. It's basically the "flavor of the month" app

#184 Dave2000, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Question... I am on Sprint. I work in the Champions area on FM 1960. My data service turns to GARBAGE at 2:30 every day... almost to the minute. Turning on and off my mobile network will usually improve it, but not always. It's gotten to the point where I am strongly considering switching to Google Fi when my contract is up.

Is this common? A Sprint thing? A tower issue? Does anyone know?

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Probably a tower thing. Do you know what band of LTE you are normally connected to? Also, when you say garbage are you referring to data only or voice and data.

1 person likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Google Fi is a reseller of Sprint. Tmobile was recently added. But good luck with that.

1 person likes this.
  8. eric.81

I'm not sure what band of LTE I'm using to be honest... to call me a dummy would be pretty accurate. My knowledge of smart phones extends to how to use one.

And it's only data... on my "preferred network mode" I chose Automatic over CDMA ONLY, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS ONLY.

As for Google Fi, isn't it using more than just one company's towers? Their coverage map looks "stronger" around my work and home than Sprint's.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Google Fi utilizes TMobile, Sprint and US Cellular's towers (in addition to leveraging Sprint's roaming agreements with Verizon). So yes, you'll get more options. I think by default, Fi connects to TMobile over Sprint.

But basically, if you're having a bad experience, find another carrier to go to. Google Fi is a good option if you are using a single line and you don't use a ton of data. Otherwise, think about other carriers. Tmobile is certainly an option (or MetroPCS if you want even cheaper TMobile plans). You can get on AT&T for cheap using Cricket. Even Verizon Prepaid can be affordable nowadays. You can also get on Verizon via Straight Talk as well.

However, if you're looking for family plans, then the math changes but I'm assuming you're only looking at a single line.

10. eric.81

Two lines... just my wife and me. And I use between 3.5 and 6 GB of data per month.

I really appreciate the information... seriously. Our contract is up at the end of August and I'd like to reevaluate what we're paying vs. what we're getting. I've enjoyed being a Sprint customer mostly because I have NEVER, EVER had to worry about data (prices or throttling) because of their plan. I appreciate that Google Fi is on a "pay for what you use" plan and there are no contracts.

By the way... I feel like such a moron but... it's pronounced Fye (like wiFI) right?

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

you are correct :)

I'd look into getting Metro PCS, I joined beginning of May when they had a $30/line with 6GB each, I got 3 lines with my parents, $90 total, 6GB each, unlimited music streaming (well supported apps) included. That promotion ended but they have a promo where the 2nd line you add will be just $25 with 5GB. So you can get 2 lines for $75 total.

Coverage has been great for me, but my true test is in Toyota Center. Cricket was great but had TERRIBLE data service when I went to games. MetroPCS has great data connections in Downtown, had great speeds at the few Astros games I've been to past 3 months.

1 person likes this.
  12. eric.81

Thanks to all that responded to my questions. Clutchfans is so dope. What other "basketball fan site" (HA! Like that's all it is!) can provide amazing, trustworthy advice that is practical in REAL LIFE?

Amazing... thanks (again) CF Community.

13. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Ughhh I really don't want to buy the NEXUS 5X... seems old.
    Maybe I'll just but the 6P

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

all-around solid phone. only complaint is that with monthly security updates, sometimes new bugs are introduced varying from minor (recent menu showing empty at times) to major (borked lte that wasn't resolved for several months).

15. opticon

opticon Member

I want it. I have the note 3 after 3 years of use I am ready for a new phone.

$900+ is going to be a tough sale to my boss.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Think I heard somewhere that the next Goodie Nexus phone is coming out in August. Both models (larger and smaller screens) supposed to be made by HTC

17. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Got my ZTE Axon 7 yesterday. Love everything so far, including the fact that they include a clear phone case, as well as two screen protectors (one is already affixed). Also, Dolby ATMOS sounds great!

I hope they can add T-Mobile Wifi calling soon.

#197 Eric Riley, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Anyone else on the Galaxy Note 4?

This might be the first phone that lasts more than two years for me. Heck, I could even see myself lasting 4 years.

19. hlcc

hlcc Member

I'm liking my Axon 7 as my backup phone as well. The dual-sim slot is a nice touch. Even though I never use screen protector or cases for my phones, it's pretty nice move to include them. No complaints regarding the free Monster Npulse that came with my Newegg preorder either.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Note 7 looks kind of lackluster, it's like the same phone as the S7 but with a stylus.