1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant to Warriors (Two years, $54.3M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Jul 4, 2016.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the comparison to LeBron joining the Heat comes from the general reaction to LeBron's decision to leave his home, the fact that Wade had already won a championship, and that he was going there to form a Big Three along with Bosh. Durant isn't leaving his home, but he did grew up as a player in OKC, the Warriors already won a championship, and he's forming a Big Four. LeBron probably needed to play with a champion to become one himself, and Durant seemingly needs one as well.

Remember that right after he made his decision people were criticizing LeBron for joining Wade's Heat even though LeBron was league MVP. Later, some of the more stubborn fans still gave Wade most of the credit when the Heat began to win championships. Nobody remembers none of that anymore because, in retrospect, LeBron was clearly the best player. I think the same will happen with the Warriors and Durant. Durant will take a lot of criticism until the Warriors start winning titles and Durant proves himself to be the best player on a championship winning team. Then, people will forgive and forget and love him like the historically great player he is.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I remember when so many propped up KD as the golden boy here to LeBron's 'villainous' move to Miami. I said give it time because players are human and people will find a reason to turn on any and every player.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Durant's tweet from 2010 criticizing Lebron for going to Miami and Dwight for forcing the trade to the Lakers is popping up a lot today.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

lol this is just like reading the lebron/wade/bosh joins heat thread in 2010.

Same arguments, same name callings, same defense and same saltiness.

Only difference is the 2010 thread was IMO even more bitter and salty.

5. TheresTheDagger

Or....maybe he's just a hypocrite.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ug, so weak.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Or maybe he is older and wants a ring and realizes how hard it is to get one.

8. MD_in_Training

Lol, true. Kd may one day redeem himself like Lebron did, but he better be ready to shoulder all the hate for the next several years.

9. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Smart move. Durant has the cash now he wants a ring. I don't blame him for joining the Warriors.

10. MD_in_Training

How hard it is to get a ring is exactly why it's so coveted. If they handed out rings to every guy who makes the All Star team, then it would be worth next to nothing. Unfortunately for KD (and Lebron in MIA), going the easy route is exactly why those rings will not be regarded in the same light.

11. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

What if this is some kind of master plan by KD, Westbrook and Thunder to break up the Warriors (Bogut trade, letting Barnes go) so OKC will have a better chance to advance? I hope he pulls a Deandre like people have mentioned in this thread. Would be hilarious.

12. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Whoever posted about the kids is right, I would have loved seeing Jordan and Hakeem on the same team. I got to see Kobe and the Shaq. This doesn't feel like Jordan and Hakeem though.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Psh. I had a theater class with him in college. Now, I'd just as soon forget that he was a Longhorn.

14. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Ah I see. You don't grow in height looking at someone else.

15. MD_in_Training

You rather see Jordan on the same team as Hakeem rather than Jordan VS Hakeem? Really? I guess fierce competition isn't the reason everyone watches sports...

16. omar23

omar23 Member

Lost all respect for Durant. Weak

17. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Warriors could only decline from that season and did in the playoffs. Next season will be interesting.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

They weren't relevant though, would be like if KD went to indiana or something. Just a random mediocre east team

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

BTW, early prediction hot take. Warriors will deal with an injury setback or chemistry issues. Cavs in 6. Seems like expecting the unexpected is par for the course all around the world right now.

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hehe. Of course you don't have any bias in the Cavs prediction, do you? ;)

But I agree that their season may not be as smooth as predicted. Either Curry/Thompson have to become Durant's spot up shooters, or vice versa. Somebody who is used to being a star will have to take a back seat and not get the numbers or touches they are accustomed to getting. That may cause some issues. Not everyone is as willing to defer as David Robinson was with Tim Duncan.

I also think the Curry and Durant could have injury flare-ups. It takes incredible luck as well as talent to have a season like the Warriors just did. I would be very surprised if they can repeat it.