1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation Vue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lurch, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why in the hell is Playstation Vue still not a channel on Roku???

They must have signed some sort of exclusivity deal with Amazon.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think you may be right. The lack of a tvOS app for Apple TV is one of the main reasons that I cancelled after the trial.

I saw a thread on Reddit where some guy mentioned that he found landing pages on the PS Vue website for Roku and Apple TV and suggested that it may be coming soon. So there's that.

3. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

So is the Fire TV Box the way to go? And are we talking the modded joints? I have a friend who had an android device with software loaded onto it that enabled him to watch live TV and had tons of access to movies. I am trying to find one that best fits my needs. I would like to be able to watch live TV ...especially sports. Any suggestions?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Roku would welcome them with open arms, especially they don't write or maintain their channels and they tend to allow most anything. It's all on Vue for not making a Roku channel yet.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Will I be able to choose which local network I get on Vue? Or will I be able to manipulate my IP to show in Houston? I'd hate to get FSN Dallas or whatever.

6. HR Dept

I wouldn't mess around with your IP if you're going to be using PlayStation Vue. They use some type of inaccurate geolocation to verify that the service is being accessed from the same location each time. If it changes multiple times then they will lock the account.

There were reports of people having problems and getting their accounts locked simply due to the dynamic IP from their service provider. Wasn't an issue for me when I trialed, even though it said that my location was in Humble... Which it's not.

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

No, you can't do it. They're strict on the IP geo-location.

Go here http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Does it say Dallas under location? If so, you're getting Dallas local channels.

8. Scionxa

They're on Chromecast too.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My address will most definitely say Dallas, which is the problem and reason I asked. But oh well.

10. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Vue is great since it has free DVR built right in. I use it on a PS4 in one room and a chromecast in another. Works great and it is super fast compared to SlingTV.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well that's something. I have a Chromecast. Bought it as soon as it came out. Used it for a half hour or so then never again.

Assuming I can find it, I suppose that would be sufficient.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im waiting for Vue to come out on Roku also. I prefer not to touch the Amazon Fire. I have no use for it.

Vue is very particular on the IP issue. Sony is well known for not being a fan of piracy or theft of service. I think this is one of the issues that prevent Vue from coming out on Roku.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Never even heard of of Playstation Vue before. Is it just another streaming service?

14. HR Dept

But there is no PlayStation Vue Android app from what I understand. So Chromecast can only be used when casting from an iOS device(iPhone/iPad).

15. Scionxa

I have a Roku 3 and Roku stick and I felt the same way but eventually I just caved for a $30 fire stick just for Vue in the bedroom.

When it comes on Roku I'll switch to that primarily (after my PS4) and give my Fire Tv away. I hate it. I literally only use it for Vue

#55 Scionxa, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  16. Scionxa

Didn't know that. I'm not an Android user

That sucks.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely understand. I heard the Firestick sucks all around. I run 100% of my viewing through Plex, whether its my personal or other servers. I have a work buddy who offered me to use his Vue account, but I can't even justify the $30.00 purchase with what little live TV I watch. VLAN's back to the office's static IP is very nice :)

18. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

I'm so close to getting vue but I couldn't watch rockets games. Is there anyone who is exclusively streaming tv and found an answer to watching local sports?

19. HR Dept

It really sucks that the streaming world is so fragmented. From devices on down to services.

When it comes to devices, am I wrong in assuming that it's the ecosystem that directs most people to make a decision and not exclusive apps? I use Apple TV because every device in my house is made by Apple. Cutting the cord can be a tough decision, but it seems like the companies offering live streaming just don't want to make it an easier one. Not for me at least.

Wake up Sony. Your streaming service is available exclusively on the least popular of all major streaming devices (Amazon Fire TV/Stick), not including PS consoles. There is Chromecast support, but only for Apple users, so that means that they're alienating at least half of all Chromecast users who have Android devices. As well as all Apple TV and Roku users which accounts for 57 million users alone.

Maybe they feel that the service isn't ready to scale, but all they're doing is allowing someone else the opportunity to sweep in and make themselves available to all.

#59 HR Dept, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Maybe it's a matter of building capital and driving sales up on their consoles or licencing with Amazon. It might be for the initial time being but in order for it to eventually succeed they'll push it to the other formats (Android / Apple / etc).

Kinda like when the iPhone was strictly sold through AT&T. Its all a licencing /partnership through the initial stage to weather the storm per se