1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Press Summer Festival 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Victorious, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SleepyRodriguez

Then why are you here? Spoiled ass mf-er....

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

for the 2nd straight year the event is moved to NRG.

Wow that sucks!

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I have 2 tickets for sale.

#43 Butterfingers, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I think it's time to admit that FPSF has officially jumped the shark.... They've obviously maxed out on the the level of headliner they can realistically obtain, they charge an amount comparable to bigger 3-day festivals and they throw it at a time in a city where the weather can literally wreak havoc.

I applaud their effort but let's call a spade a spade.

5. body slam

body slam Member

So is anyone else going to Jimmy Buffett?

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Allen Stone should be a great show. He can really sing. One of those artists that sounds better live than recorded. He's got an old school r&b element in his voice, but you can hear a variety of musical influences in his songs. He's sort of like Bruno Mars.

Leon Bridges is straight up old school sound. He is great. Motown sound. Think Mayer Hawthorne. I haven't heard him live. I've seen a YouTube video of him covering a Sam Cooke song, and it wasn't strong IMO. Of course, it's Sam Cooke, so it's hard to make it your own and impress. If you're into that Motown sound, listen to Leon Bridges. I think he has some roots here in Houston, too.

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

no way. attendance has gone up every year. its doing well enough that the same people did an experiment arts and music festival in the December. and even if it doesn't have huge name headliners, there are still great music acts. the weather has made it relocate the past couple years but hey, thats Houston for you.

I went last year when it moved to NRG park and still had a great time. Everything is much more compact so it does not take long walks to move from stage to stage like at Tinsley. Yes, Tinsley park is better but it does not ruin the experience for me.

8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Looking at the weather forecast for this weekend and it does not look promising at all. Will they cancel the festival it is storming all weekend?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's a rain or shine event. Last time they have lightning they just evacuated and restarted after two hours.

Btw the December day for night fest is not run by Omar like FPSF. It's run by a completely different group.

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Yeah I was there but you really don't have the same options for people to go to by NRG, Where are they wanting people to evacuate too or do they not care?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

There was no place for people to evacuate too at Buffalo Bayou either. People just called Uber and went to midtown.

12. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Selling one ticket for $100.

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I have 2 tickets for sale if anyone is interested also

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

15. Pete the Cheat

what a bummer...I was really looking forward to this. hopefully most of Sunday can be salvaged

16. REEKO_HTOWN

17. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I sold my tickets this year. Luckily I sold before they moved the venue so I made a little money.

For all those who went, how was it? Worth it?

18. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

It was great. Rained a little bit the first day but shows were great. Second day was ok until right before Big Grams set that they sent out the evacuation sign that closed the show for about an hour. I just stayed in the lot though and when they set everything back up Big Grams and Deadmau5 had great sets. It was muddy as hell on the Mars stage but everything was super chill. The rain kept some people at home so it was not so super crowded so the beer and bathroom lines were short. I didn't miss anything. And with everything closer together you didn't have to rush to stages. It didn't even affect the sounds either which I was surprised.

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

It was a good trade off. The rain actually made it fun and not as hot. Straight heat and sun and all that walking at Tinsley Park would have been brutal. As long as you wore the right clothing/footwear, the weather was fine.

20. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Hipsters.....