1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Defense of More Howard Post Touches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eqsharp, May 23, 2016.

1. Harden's beard

Jeremy Lin numbers dropped in LAL than when he was in Houston.

Chandler Parsons numbers dropped in DAL than when he was in Houston.

Omer Asik numbers droppes in NOP than when he was in Houston.

Patrick Patterson numbers droppes in TOR than when he was in Houston.

Marcus Thorton numbers dropped in DET than when he was in Houston.

Kostas Papanikolaou numbers dropped in DEN than when he was in Houston.

Ty Lawson numbers dropped in IND than when he was in Houston.

Josh Smith numbers dropped in LAC than when he was in Houston.

Yes, he has a growing list of making everyone else better.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So by giving Dwight inefficient shots we automatically replace the inefficient shots other players are taking? Keep in mind Dwight wants the offense to go through him. Most of the posts in defense of Howard read like anti Harden threads. Basically you want us to give into Dwight s childish demands because you hate harden, lol. Makes sense.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Dwight's postups are rarely late in the shot clock so that isn't true. Dwight isn't having to force up many postup shots due to the clock whereas most of those midrange shots you cited are being forced due to the shot clock. Huge difference.

For the entire season Dwight took a total of 34 shots with the shotclock at 4 seconds or less which is pretty infrequent. Now reduce that to the number that he shot with the clock close to zero and it's a really small percentage. Also, he shot 50% on those attempts between 0-4 seconds so you can't really attribute his poor ppp on postups to having to shoot due to the clock.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This group of posters can't handle the truth and are more delusional than any posters I've seen on any forum. Give them facts and they'll deny and throw temper tantrums until you stop disagreeing with them. As if it changes anything in reality. They support Dwight because they are just as childish as he is.

5. Dream McLandry

I don't have stats to support this, but from what I recall reading, Dwight is most efficient as a finisher on the pick and roll and in put backs off of offensive rebounds. Rather than "throw him a bone" and give him post touches (which he's horribly inefficient at), it seems like he needs to play to his strengths and accept that the pick and roll is where it's at but it seems like he is unwilling or at least doesn't want to play in the pick and roll. To me, the issue is with Dwight's perception of himself as a player and I don't blame the coaching staff/Morey for trying to change that perception so that it more closely resembles reality.

6. eqsharp

eqsharp Member

Shots that result in fouls and free throws aren't counted in a player's field goal percentage. And I'm only looking at efficient vs inefficient field goal attempts.

No disrespect, but I answered your last question in the post. My argument is to replace an inefficient shot with a MORE efficient. They didn't have to give him 10 more per game. I said he has a legitimate case to ask for anywhere between 1 and 11 based on the numbers.

Now whether that shot is the MOST efficient shot is not my argument. But there's no denying that the Rockets took many shots that are more inefficient than a Howard post up no matter how you want to explain it away.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

when I read the title of the thread I was expecting an empty thread

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dwight doesn't even know how to seal his man properly. His best "post ups" are when he runs down the middle of the court and is literally under the basket. Other than that he should pnr and be happy

9. eqsharp

eqsharp Member

Actually, I said nothing about taking shots from Harden. Even though he's a poor leader and defender there aren't many holes in his offensive game. Nice way to twist my words. I spoke of taking more efficient shots that benefit Howard and the team. Only a Howard hater would argue against that.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I definitely don't like Howard anymore. My question is why don't you? The guy is soft, lied about what the GM said. Admitted to quitting on the team because he didn't his way and yet you are making threads 'In defense" of him. What exactly does that say about you?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait. Aren't they coddling Harden?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Oh, great post OP. Goes to show, even the so called experts tend to leave a few things out.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes but Harden is an overall better player than Dwight. Dwight just isn't that good. I hate how they handed Harden the keys though.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This is the only reply needed. Pretty much tears apart OP's premise, which others have already pointed out as being flawed.

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The problem is that you can't replace those shots because you aren't planning to take them in the first place. If Brewer has the ball with the shot clock running down he has to take that shot, posting up Dwight isn't an option in these cases.

Since you can't replace those inefficient unplanned shots, that means that if Howard gets more postups then it comes as a replacement for more efficient shots.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Also, take away the lobs in favor of post ups like he wants and be ready to see his % drop -> a lot (especially against good interior defense).

That's why i cannot understand him in the first place...you have the chance to be better for yourself, for your team and for the freaking media also...why you want to throw all this in the **** cause you want to play in a way you're just not able to?

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

When did Harden demand to play a certain way or quit? The or quit part is very important here.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, and i think it should also be noted that a bad shot taken by Dwight means basically no chance of a second chance opportunity, but if someone else takes the shot, having Dwight in place for an offensive rebound should be a good on paper.

19. eqsharp

eqsharp Member

I'm not going to cry a tear if Howard isn't on the team any longer. I'm not in love with the guy. I also won't cry a tear if Harden is shipped off in the future either. Isn't refusing to play defense equivalent to quitting? In my book it is, but maybe that's just me. I'm mainly concerned with the team as a whole and who can get us to a championship.

And the closest thing the Rockets have to getting there right now is an engaged Howard and Harden. Honestly, I agree Howard is soft, but Harden has major flaws too. So let's be real. But they're the best that we have.

The Rockets have pretty much pushed Howard away with an over reliance on numbers and I don't see them signing a big name free agent to take his place. Durant, Horford, and Conley are all dreams that most likely won't be coming true. So next season the Rockets will probably be worse than this season.

This 'In Defense of..." post, in the big picture, is a post in defense of me not wanting the Rockets to become a lottery team soon. So it says that I'm a guy that doesn't want to see his team in the dungeon of the league. I'm not ashamed of that.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

In defense of NO more Howard post touches..... is that no one on this ****ing team can throw a simple post entry pass with any sort of accuracy even when he has his man sealed down low.