1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Macbooks worth it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Mar 12, 2016.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No, they're not worth the price of apple's marketing that you're paying for, but It also depends if you know how to use a computer... or if you have a specific use like some app you prefer to use (video editing etc). Personally since the hardware is all the same now, I'd just go a hackintosh route if I wanted osx, but it sounds like Apple might be easier route if you're getting viruses/slowdown etc. on pc's. Also, it is possible to to get a virus on an Apple, but... you're probably less likely to encounter it.

Don't bother with a hotspot device, just use your phone as one (I mean if you have decent data plan on your iphone etc). And a hotspot is basically a portable wifi router that your computer connects to via wifi, again I'd just use your phone if your data plan supports it. That way you save money and don't have to bother with more devices, unless you're getting a free one/free data device.

On side note, used might be better buy (macbook pro vs non pro) for you if not doing more than basic functions (like others have stated).

PS I still have a 09 macbook pro that works but I also have an 05 Dell... I also had to fix stuff on my apple before the Dell (when they were in use years ago)... but, like I said all the parts are the same, it's not like you're getting a different HDD/memory/cpu etc. I only got the Mac because my wife was using FC Pro at the time for film project and I managed to walk into clearance/store closing sale (I got the Macbook Pro for 50% off new). No way in hell I'd go full price, unless I was using it for making money.

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

My daily computer is an 08 MacBook. I am in the market for a new laptop for use on an upcoming exam...and I will be getting another Mac.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Macs are excellent for taking online exams.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

softest breh. I think every med school & probably other professional school uses them too.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I got a 250 NBME, but a 240 on the actual exam. I realized the grade disparity due to not using my Macbook.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You're missing out. I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro 15". 16gb memory standard using a Thunderbolt Apollo Twin w/ 6.3 ms round trip at 128 samples using Logic Pro X. Mac's ecosystem is optimized for this stuff.

Take the plunge. You won't regret it. And if you insist on staying with Windows, UAD just dropped the Apollo Twin USB. You can't go wrong with that either.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's worth it if you plan on using it in public, so you can show it off

8. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

Long-time Macbook user here. I'd absolutely recommend a Macbook.

I've had a Macbook Pro 15", Macbook Air 11" and 13" over the past 5 years and they've all served me really well. Battery life and performance is great, and the annual free OS upgrades are awesome.

I'm a programmer and being able to run the unix command line on the go is awesome. At home, I have a Windows 10 / Ubuntu Linux dual-boot setup, so I'm pretty operating system agnostic. I don't think I'd ever purchase a non-Mac laptop though. They're just that good.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Thats a pretty good NBME score breh you shoulda hauled that decal covered macbook into prometric by any means necessary.

Also, sarcasm aside it does make a difference when you goto the prometric testing centers and use a desktop. Gotta hookup that monitor to simulate real conditions ;)

Random question, but what did you end up going into?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I use a computer for browsing, and microsoft softwares. Used a macbook pro once for work and it worked great.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ahhh still torn on which to get...

12. Saado

Saado Member

Macbooks are amazing laptops. Have a hard time finding anything else that matches the overall design and build quality, even though I prefer Windows on the desktop.

I've only bought my apple laptops used (eBay or craigslist). You are definitely paying a premium, so buying used has always been my shortcut and has served me well. Can get some great deals and sometimes still in warranty (my current one the person had purchased applecare).

I'd take a look for used ones, just would advise to look for all materials that ensure it is not a stolen machine.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dang, i wish i could find a 50% discount on a new macbook.

Im considering used now. Where do you guys shop for used?

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I still use my '09 Pro as a daily

15. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

so I have a mid 09, 13" MBP and for some reason never thought to upgrade RAM or to an SSD

I just bought 8 GB of RAM on Amazon after reading this thread

but can one of you school me on SSD upgrade? my MBP is dual partition to Windows and the latest Mac OS. by cloning my current HD, will the SSD have the dual partition automatically? or do I need to do something more?

also what SSD would you suggest? specific brand or model? I've never done an SSD upgrade before

thanks

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I have the Samsung 840 Evo and it works great. I prefer Samsung's SSDs due to benchmark tests. I now have 3 of them, 2 Evo's and 1 Pro. I have the Pro in my Mac Mini which runs blazing fast.

I would highly recommend the Evo based on my experience of it and the cost of them. I personally didn't need anything more than a 240gb, but I'd check slickdeals as there deals on there sometimes for Samsung SSDs. Also comes with a 5 year warranty.

They do have the 850 series now too which probably a bit more expensive, but IMO if you can find the 840 evo for a great price, go with that because real world difference between the two won't be recognizable unless you're someone that transfers a lot of data.

Another brand that I like is Sandisk. The Sandisk Extreme Pro series is pretty good performance-wise. I haven't test it out myself, but I'll probably get one sooner or later just to try it out.

As far as cloning goes, you should be fine. For dual boot use Clonezilla live. It should let you move both partitions to your new drive. I think it also makes it easier to do it on there if you are moving from a bigger HDD to a smaller SSD.

Carbon Copy Cloner works but if you're trying to clone a Windows bootcamp partition, then you'll need to use Winclone to move over the bootcamp partition. Carbon Copy Cloner is something you can do without having to boot into it unlike Clonezilla live. So if you prefer to clone while having OSX running, that's the better option. Winclone, I personally haven't used but I've heard good things about it.

#36 ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. YourSecretLover

Had my Macbook(2008) for 8 years now and still going strong. Plan to have it another 3-4 years.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've had macbooks for the last 4 years. The hardware quality is very good but Mac OS X is way overrated. I have to reboot mine more often than my windows boxes. The only thing I like about OS X is the built unix style terminal.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How are the chargers cheap?

20. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It was great while it lasted, until the logic board failed 4 years later. Would have cost way too much to repair so now it's a paperweight. Went back to PC.