1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Miami Coach Philosophical About Loss (he,he)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IROC it, Sep 8, 2003.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Miami Coach Philosophical About Loss

"Give Dave Wannstedt credit for resiliency. He managed a smile Monday, less than 24 hours after the Miami Dolphins' season-opening comedy of errors.

Touted as perhaps the best team in the AFC, the heavily favored Dolphins instead lost 21-20 at home Sunday to the Houston Texans. They're 0-1 for the first time since 1991 and below .500 for the first time since 1996, and they must try to rebound on the road Sunday against their biggest nemesis, the New York Jets.

It's not the way Wannstedt wanted to start the season, especially given his tenuous job security. But when asked about being on the hot seat, Miami's fourth-year coach chuckled.

"I don't know what that means and really can't be concerned about it," Wannstedt said. "I'm excited about this season. I believe in these guys and what we're doing."

That apparently leaves him in the minority, considering the numerous frenetic fans who angrily vented Monday in phone calls and e-mails to local media. Targets of their ire ranged from Wannstedt to quarterback Jay Fiedler to punter Mark Royals."

More at the link.

I love this game! Being the underdog and winning creates such a stir.

;)

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, Wannstedt was saying the same things before he got fired at Chicago.

It's good to be a Texans fan:D

3. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Did I miss all of the preseason hype surrounding the Dolphins? Which experts picked Miami to get out of the AFC? Come on, they have a really good D and a great runningback, yet their WRs are young and inexperienced with a QB that will be in a controversy as soon as Griese gets back.

They did almost make the playoffs last year, but how does that move them over the likes of the Raiders, Titans, Broncos, Jets, Pats, or even the Chiefs and Bills.

All that being said, congrats to the Texans for beating such a great team.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Yao Wink, I kinda wonder the same.. but you know, the writer probably just had a Houstonian slant or wanted to rub it in even more on the Doll-Fins. Maybe they meant since Seau and Williams were ready to go, they'd be more of a threat to the AFC than they showed yesterday. Not sure who authored that piece, only the photo has credits...

I'll have to admit, I even expected more from the Fins than that.;)

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Who touted them as the best team in the AFC? That honor belongs to KC, the 2003-2004 superbowl champs. Why would anyone think otherwise?

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Dave Wannstedt is a spineless twit.

Our boys opened a can of whoop a** on them, and he just won't come clean.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i didn't read a ton of preseason publications...but i do remember reading picks here and there and miami was overwhelmingly the call for division champion...which means they'd likely have among the top 3 records in the AFC...which means they'd have as good a shot as anybody to come out of the AFC.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Heh... Wannstedt sure sounds like a whiny b**** doesn't he.