1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Baby Formula

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd go for organic baby formula's.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Made from 100% grass-fed organic babies.

[​IMG]

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol definitely. Grain fed baby formula's suck. I also recommend free range baby formula's.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The Similac in the orange can is what we used. Everything else would upset her stomach and leave her squirming and uncomfortable for hours.

Look forward to the day that you can just stock up on regular milk instead of formula. Dread the day that you have to start paying for daycare.

5. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

You cannot really go wrong with Similac or Enfamil. Those are the top 2 brands. I would stay away from Walmart, Target, or private label brands.

6. dragician

dragician Member

we used similac.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So to provide more context...

The baby feeds ALL THE TIME. All. The. Time. So my wife doesn't have any time to pump. Well, she's going back to work soon, so I will need to have some formula on hand for the baby for that first week or so while she's at work and I'll be at home.

We have been giving the baby Enfamil once every couple days or so when my wife wants a break for a few hours, and there haven't been any issues. No constipation or anything.

But there are two issues:

1) We've been using Enfamil for newborns, when I think we should have been using Enfamil for supplementing. I honestly didn't know there was such a thing until recently.

2) As stated before there have been zero problems, BUT that could just be because we only used it on rare occasions. What if going to primarily formula for a while will bring to the surface some issues (I'm mainly concerned about constipation because that seems to be an issue with formula)? Which is why I wanted to know what other people use (and what they think is the best).

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can't believe Carl beat me to a mathematical formula joke. Damn.

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Ours had some reflux issues at first when he went almost primarily to formula. The doctor told us to continue doing what we were doing, but mix in some A.R. formula. So we did half A.R. and half Infant. That cleared things up for him, and he was back on strictly Infant after that. Now he's taking the Toddler Transitions.

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

we started w/ Similac and baby experienced constipation. Switched to Enfamil and it worked well. Then my wife did some research and purchased some fancy organic expense as hell formula and back to constipation. We ended up using Enfamil and Similac interchangeably over time - whichever was available at the grocery store. Early experience w/ Similac ended up being an outlier.

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

1) really shouldn't be a big deal. We looked at both and our doctor said there was materially very little difference. If you're BFing - you can really use either.

2) see my above post. but every baby is different, so YMMV

12. icrnk

icrnk Member

http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-to-find-the-safest-organic-infant-formula/

"Nature’s One markets Baby’s Only Organic formula as a “toddler formula” rather than an infant formula (according to the company, this is done to encourage breastfeeding until age 1). Its products meet the same nutritional standards that the FDA sets forth for infant formula."​

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good find! Is there somewhere official where I could see the company making the bolded statement? That article was informative but it is more food blog than medical journal.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

We had to use Nutramigen on our second child cause of reflux issues. But for our first we used a generic brand and it worked fine. Every baby is really gonna be different, so go with what works best.

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

We used Earth's best (can't get it every where) and then if not that, we used a similac (I think low lactose or lactose free).

Good luck. May take a bit to find one.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watching this thread with interest. My wife is slowly transitioning back to work; one day a week right now. Our 8-month-old HATES formula. This is pretty much his reaction when we try to give him formula:

[​IMG]

However, he's been on baby food for a couple of months and we just mix in a scoop of formula and he's none the wiser. He also loves water, so he's getting enough protein during the day. My wife has torpedo boobs when she gets home but he's still happy.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pampers were our choice for for name brand diapers. Target's Up&Up were our generic choice.

The private labels have the same ingredients & being a top 2 brands usually is a result of marketing more than anything.

18. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Is it gluten free?

1 person likes this.
  19. icrnk

icrnk Member

I would say to print out the ingredients label and ask your pediatrician. Also, email the company. Also, looks like they've expanded their line: http://www.naturesone.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dha

The original formula didn't have DHA which was fine as it gave you the option to add your own fish oil or other source of DHA which may be better than what the non-organic or cheaper brands use.

Also, may consider adding a probiotic to help with gas if that's an issue. Don't know what's a good brand so just showing this as an example: http://www.amazon.com/Choice-Infants-Blend-Probiotic-2-64-Ounces/dp/B0010EG6QC