1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So you're saying he's more versatile than Kevin Durant.

Off the chains if you really think so. hahahaha

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Because Houston can then run the pick and pop with success

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a lower points per possession play than either a post up with DMo or a 3 pointer with DMo so it seems odd that one would want that.

I think the idea of midrange shots are sort of like a "forbidden fruit" for Rockets fans, they only want to see it because it's frowned upon. It's like how some people thought that Coors was awesome beer simply because they couldn't get it East of Texas for so long.

Now Coors wasn't ever a good beer, people just thought that it had to be since they weren't allowed to have it.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

All american beer tastes like piss tbh.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

pick and pop doesn't need to end in a mid range shot, there's no rule that says the player making the pick can't take a step or two back after the pick before the catch.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's the only thing he doesn't do well on offense as a big man. A mid range shot will make the defender on his heels. That's how Scola was effective. You have a mid range shot and a low post game. It's really hard to stop. If DMo can do that, he will be a 7-foot version of Scola with 3pt range and a nice passing game.

I used to think he needed a fadeaway turnaround jumper like Hakeem (and Yao to a lesser degree) had. But then I realized that DMo could hook with either hand accurately, which is very rare. If you can get off a hook shot on either side, you don't really need a turnaround jump shot which is the counter move of the jump hook. For DMo, the counter move is the hook with the other hand. But a spot up mid range would be a great additional weapon.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Off-topic

but American beer is the best in the world, you are horribly misinformed

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Th midrange can set up the drive though. DMo has decent handle for a big. He can pump fake and drive. If he can hit the midrange consistently, the defender can't sag off.

9. OpenLayup-Why3?

IS there enough data to prove that DMo doesn't have a mid range shot? He rarely takes it, like twice a season.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's the data to prove it right there.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Like I said, the midrange could be another way DMo could score, but it doesn't make his post ups more dangerous. It's not like a guard who can drive but can't shoot. Their inability to make shots will hurt their ability to drive. But nothing about a midrange shot will help make his post ups more potent as far as I can tell.

12. basketballholic

I want so badly to see pick-and-pop with DMo at the 3-point line. I think that play would be crazy good for us.

13. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

lol.

Fosters is not representative of Australian beer. Therefore Ausbeer wins.
    [ok, Australian beer isn't all that, but the best beers do tend to be European - this is gonna go D&D once SamFisher weighs in]

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

There really is no point to drinking beer when you can just shove ever clear up your ass with any household enema

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

No, that doesn't mean he's not a good mid range shooter. He spent his entire NBA career on a team where mid range shot is forbidden unless you're Harden or other guards to lesser extent. NBA mid range shot is similar to FIBA's 3 pointer, which DMo grew up shooting. I'm pretty sure he could have a legit mid range if he wasn't playing for Rockets.

17. Normalus

Normalus Member

This! Just look at Pau, Marc, Dirk, Serge and other European bigs. All of them has that mid-range shot.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

TBH until he can make 40% of at least 3 three point attempts, it's not worth working on a midrange game. I can see that there are still huge benefits to get from his 3pt range which are more valuable to us and him than a mid range game.

When you can murder people in the post, the mid range is so inefficient in comparison and will never net a double team. If you're open, then get open at the 3pt line and create space for Harden/Howard.

I've no doubt he is a decent mid range shooter and can make it a part of his game, but I really think it should be lower on the priority list.

19. elainas

elainas Member

This!

p.s Few years ago we all if we merge DMo Offence with Asic Deffence we will get super bigmen. That time tun quickly, but now DMo look really bigger and stronger with good possession defense(He cant rebound thou, but we have lot of bigmens near). Good D is most important. DMo can't stay on the floor because of fouls trouble, but that isn't the problem:
    1) We have another 3 bigmens who wants playing time, so DMo can play super aggressive
    2) DMo's havent played 8 month and before have only one season, he's like a rookie and referees don't respect him
    3) Doubt that he's in best shape yet

p.p.s Guess who set screen for JH at least one time per attack? And last few games, we saw more efficient JH drives to the basket after DMo screen and then O just flow like last season!

20. One Mic

One Mic Member

I'm guessing english isn't your first language.