1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Wells = zero class.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LonghornFan, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

longhorn... it seems like I'm defending him but to be honest I've been quite upset over players attitudes myself.. I will say the texans at least at practices didn't seem near as friendly about signing etc as last year.. and I dont recall wells stopping this year at all so maybe his attitude has gotten bad...

there is no excuse at all for him acting not interested though.. it seems like the lesser players and rookies always get "stuck" doing it because the big names won't go... I give him some credit for going to the thing but it seems like players forget what it was like to be a kid wanting a signature

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Let them know, it will expedite his ass getting kicked off the team.

3. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Higher on your depth chart than on mine. Davis is back and I will not insult an injured rookie and say that piece of crap is better than him.

Make it 4th in my book.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If Jonathan Wells has no class, then where does that leave my friend James Allen?

5. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Thats funny.......I took a couple of kids from the MDA Camp I am involved with out to dinner and Jonathan Wells was there and he took the time to say hello and take pictures with the guys. I thought he was alright for doing that.

6. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Email me and I'll give you the direct line of the person with the texans that should be informed. Give that to your buddy. let him give the texans one opportunity to correct the situation and if they blow him off then take it to the public

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That a-hole...My daughter goes to Fairmont Elementary too...

I had her bring a football that other Texans had signed, as this is what the announcement said, he would sign anything...I even bought her a Texans T-Shirt for the damn thing...

What a jerk...I can't imagine this guy being such a-hole...:mad:

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

professional sports players are NOT role models.

who is responsible for teaching children that to get another humans signature, means something?

screw Wells, screw his signature, and shame on you parents and school faculty for teaching your kids that it means something.

9. Chance

No screw you jackass. Just because it means nothing to you does not mean it shouldn't mean something to someone else. Kids like autographs. ****, some parents like them. Grandparents, too. Think before you lash out. I just did.

Oh, BTW - I don't get autographs from athletes or celebs personally.

10. Texas Stoke

calling me a jackass.. should i call 610 and put out the word to not buy any of your cd's because Chance=zero class for calling me a jackass?

no i would never do such a petty thing. neither should you. whats the purpose, to get the guy cut, to makes his security with team less secure. we're talking about a guy who was on the bubble and who had to sweat out the last cuts, and you want to try to destabalize his livelihood over some bitter teacher and kids who didn't get autographs...thats weak man.

Chance, you could probably stick around signing 500 Yao Ming cd's but Wells is a pro football player who practices his arse off in 100 degree heat and probably has very little time for himself.

think about it again mr. perfect selfless human being.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THEY ARE ROLE MODELS
    I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP USING THIS RIDICULOUS CHUCK BARKLEY QUOTE

Just because YOU don't WANT Them to be
    Just because THEY don't want to be

Being a ROLE MODEL is not a decision one Makes
    It is something that is THRUST upon you
    you CANNOT pass on it . . ..

You can either be a GOOD ROLE MODEL or a BAD ROLE MODEL

YOU CAN SAY
    ATHLETES *SHOULD NOT* BE ROLE MODELS
    but
    saying they ain't is just *ss Stupid

Superman is a Role model
    The Postman .. the Police Man .. . . The Lady across the street
    whether they KNOW IT OR NOT
    some child looks up to them . . .

YOU nor I can CHOSE who our child looks up too
    we can TRY to mold it and scuplt it and conjole it in certain directions
    but ULTIMATELY it is the CHILD's Decision
    and their isn't any think YOU or the WOULD BE ROLE MODEL
    can do about it

Rocket River

:mad: :mad: :mad:

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The he probably shouldn't agree to make these appearances if it's such a burden on him.

The reason the Texans encourage these appearances is to build good-will among the public and show a good public image of their team and their players. If it's just too much for Wells, he has the ability to say no.

But I would almost be willing to guarantee you the PR guy told Wells what would be expected of him should he make the appearance. Now whether signing autographs for everyone was something the Texans said would be provided or something the school merely assumed would be provided without ever getting any sort of confirmation from the Texans is the question.

Of course, the classy thing would've been to sign the stuff once you found out the kids were expecting it even if that was not part of the deal to your understanding. Had he done that, he'd be a damn hero.

To me, it's a customer service thing, rather than a role model thing.

13. Texas Stoke

Rocket River, Sports Players are NOT role Models. If they are to our children, then we've done a bad job of parenting as far as creating the right enviroment for the child to grow up in. and don't give me that stuff about its not our choice, cause it is. the enviroment is created by us and our actions and our enviroment creates our children and their minds. if the world is too tough a place, if the machine is cranking too strong to keep the children from getting sucked in, then out of love for them, lets not have anymore children, cause its not fair to them, to bring them in a life so deplorable to where kids feel saddend and shortchanged in life because a man who carrys a football did not give them an autograph. its our utlimate responsibility to create a healthy loving enviroment for the child so as to make sport players NOT role models.

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Don't know about the NFL but I know in the NHL it is standard policy that each player has to do 3-4 appearances/year per the contract.

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Pretty sure the standard NFL contract has no such stipulation.

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I would be willing to bet Texas Stroke's life on it. :)

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You've got mail.

17. Chance

I found it presumptious for you to "shame" on parents for letting them be fans...and kids. so I thought I'd lob a jackass your way. I remember getting Jose Cruz' autograph when I was a little squirt. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. I met Jose Cruz! I remember telling my buddies and being proud. It's not about role models or anything it is about a cool experience to be near an nfl'er or an nba'er or an mlb'er and having proof. So shame on my mother? I don't think so. Also, I was very specific about LonghornFans buddy not handling this publicly. I gave him the name and direct line of the guy at the texans to call if he really has a problem with a Texan doing a public PR appearance.

As far as you calling John and LZ and telling them I called you a jackass I could squarely give two sh!ts. They'd probably agree with you. And they'd call when they want a song or when they want to grab a beer.

BTW - I am not selfless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.