1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I live in an area where I can't stream ESPN3, but I have Direct. A friend says that Direct has picked up games on ESPN3 in the past. Anyone know if this is true and, if so, what channel it is? Thanks in advance for any info.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kats win! Kats win! Kats win!

[​IMG] next week.

3. RocketFuel

RocketFuel Member

Great game! EAT'EM UP KATS!

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Didn't get to see any of the game, but was thrilled to see the score afterward, obviously.

I saw in the game write-up on GoBearkats that Briscoe came in for Johnson and led the comeback. As much as I want Johnson to take hold of the starting spot, and perhaps more broadly, I want someone to stand out as the unchallenged starter at the position, I guess I can't complain about the results to this point.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Also didn't get to see the game as I was camping and WatchESPN wasn't working too well out in Ledbetter...but was ecstatic to see the final and to see that we get another home game for the quarterfinals.

I'm going to start working on the wife now to make the short trip up on Saturday night. Hopefully the weather will be good and there will be a bigger crowd presence than the first round game (s***ty weather and thanksgiving weekend).

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Watched the game on my iPad (that's the FCS fans's life...) and it was epic.

JJ started and looked awful YET AGAIN. 2/6 with a brutal INT. And there was another INT dropped that would've surely been a pick-6. KCK benched him, Brisco came in and immediately threw a 54 yd bomb to Brown for a TD that really rallied the team around him.

It looked like McNeese was geared up to stop the run and didn't expect Brisco to come in and start flinging it around the yard. Totally caught them off guard.

The game clinching play was a 3rd down conversion that was a perfect play call by the much-maligned OC. McNeese blitzed and Brisco dropped a perfectly executed bubble screen to Avery who ran for an easy first down. Game over, victory formation.

Don't know anything about Colgate. Aint that one of them smart schools or somethin'?

7. leroy

It's not a dental hygienist training academy?

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Was a great game. McNeese got a lot of luck (specifically where they gave the ball to McNeese after a punt when they thought it touched a SHSU player. It was called that way on the field, and on the replay you couldn't see that it didn't touch the SHSU player, so they kept it with McNeese recovering).

1st and goal from the 1 and they ended up punting because of penalties and sacks was a great defensive stand. Even though they had an Int taken away because the QBs knee was down. Kats had a lot of stuff not go their way, but kept with it.

And how about PJ Hall blocking PAT's like its normal?

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The only thing that really comes to mind when I think of Colgate is that it's where Adonal Foyle, the former NBA lottery pick (who actually had a longer, more successful career than I thought now that I look at his Wikipedia page), went to college.

They're coming off of a big upset win over James Madison last week 44-38.

They are going to run the ball, run it again, and then run it some more. Last week against JMU, their quarterback, Jake Melville, went 8-for-23 for 120 yards through the air, but on the ground, he ran for 163 yards on 14 carries. Running back James Holland also ran for 165 on 27 carries.

10. ima_drummer2k

I don't know if I've ever seen anything like that before. 1st and goal on the 1....a few plays later and they're punting from mid-field. That was the game right there.

I re-watched parts of the game last night and Brisco really made some great throws. 2 of his TD's were bombs that JJ could have NEVER made. I don't usually like a 2-QB offense, but Keeler seems to be using it to perfection.

Colgate plays keep-away and tries to keep the other teams offense off the field by running the ball and winning the TOP battle. If we can get an early lead, we should win easily as their offense isn't built to come back.

11. leroy

That being the case, I have a feeling that PJ Hall will become as much of a household name as possible for a FCS player. I think he'll have a huge game. I'm still concerned about giving up the big play too often. Seems like if it's not Hall in the backfield, it has the potential to become a 30 yd...or more...run.

12. ima_drummer2k

Kickoff has been moved to 11am because of weather concerns.

Attendence should be interesting because graduation will be happening at the same time as the game...

13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Attendance may be worse, but this at least allows me a better opportunity to watch the game. In the evening, my wife has her company christmas party.

14. leroy

Not to mention parking.

ALSO...if anyone is driving up from Houston, I-45 will be shut down in Spring AND the Hardy will be closed, too. Not leaving The Woodlands this weekend...

#554 leroy, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  15. RocketFuel

RocketFuel Member

Up 41-14 in the 3rd. SHSU offense is to much for Colgate thus far, defense looking good. Totally different looking team from when I was up there for the Lamar loss early in the season.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Dominating performance from start to finish. On to Jax State next week.

Safe to say that Briscoe should retain the starting job for the rest of the postseason.

17. leroy

Great win. Kind of thought the halfback pass for a td in the 4th was a bit mean. In any case, with Briscio we appear to be much more balanced. They can't just put 8 in the box and stop the run.

Should be a great game at Jacksonville St.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Great defensive effort by the Bearkats to limit the Colgate rushing attack, particularly in limiting James Holland to just 36 yards after he ran for 165 a week ago.

19. ima_drummer2k

4th semifinal appearance in 5 years. With 2 different coaches. Just an unbelievable run. We really are one of the best FCS programs in the country. The only thing missing is.................

J-State is much improved from last year when they overlooked us and we beat them. And you know they're looking for revenge. Should be a hell of a game on Saturday. And FINALLY on regular ESPN! No more streaming games on my iPad!

20. leroy

Well, it's closer to The Ocho than real ESPN...but certainly actually on tv.