1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zion Pledges to Cover Pels' Arena Workers' Salaries Amid Coronavirus

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Mar 13, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Williamson announced on Instagram he will cover the salaries of Smoothie King Center workers for 30 days:

"The people of New Orleans have been incredibly welcoming and supportive since I was Drafted by the Pels last June, and some of the most special people I have met are those who work at smoothie King Center. These are the folks who make our games possible, creating the perfect environment for our fans and everyone involved in the organization. Unfortunately, many of them are still recovering from long term challenges created by Katrina, and now face the economic impact of the postponement of games because of the virus. My mother has always set an example for me about being respectful for others and being grateful for what we have, and so today I am pledging to cover the salaries for all of those Smoothie King Center workers for the next 30 days. This is a small way for me to express my support and appreciation for these wonderful people who have been so great to me and my teammates and hopefully we can all join together to relieve some of the stress and hardship caused by this national health crisis. This is an incredibly resilient city full of some of the most resilient people, but sometimes providing a little extra assistance can make things a little easier for the community."

daywalker02, nemac, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Awesome that he is doing this for his city, but it's also completely ridiculous that he has to step in for the US government.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

the organization isn't stepping up? with no end in sight for the next 6 month at the least, there has to be a more long term solution. plus that doctor from joe rogan said, this work from home is unsustainable and people will eventually have to go out and do normal activities again. that's a scary thought

ak99999 likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very, very cool, and incredibly generous.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Very generous of Zion. What a magnanimous young man and while he’s making a nice buck it’s still a rookie contract.

For some reason, his generosity brought to mind a story that I think got floated around here about Rashard Lewis and how cheap he was. I think it was a pizza delivery guy that posted here that he delivered a pizza to Rashard who lived in Houston and still might in retirement. Anyway the pizza guy was pissed that Lewis tipped him a dollar after signing one of the first 100M deals in the league.

Any posters remember that and if I recollect this correctly.

Jontro likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he's a good kid, hope he goes far! God bless

Jontro likes this.
  7. Fefo

Fefo Member

Great kid.
    I found it somehow wrong that the players, that have a lot less money than the owners are chipping in, instead of being the owners the one s that do it.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

pels should sell the team to zion

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Seriously, saw a statement from Pelicans ownership saying just thanking Zion and a bunch of nonsense of looking into it. Then you have the Bucks owners who are only simply matching Giannis's 100k which is garbage in its own way.

Fefo likes this.
  10. Fefo

Fefo Member

This guys are billonaires, and only want to win more money. I dont really get it, sometimes when things happen, and you are in a position to help, especially your own employees, you should always extend them a hand.
    Its disgusting how cheap they are.