1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

That was great to see. Awesome of you to do that.

In today's NBA, Zhou looks like he could play PF right now. He's 7'2 and not lumbering at all - he's probably going to rebound and block shots just as well as any of the other backup big men currently in the league. Combine that with his shooting touch and I think you have a strong rotation player.

Why are people comparing his CBA stats to Yao's CBA stats? Yao was the first pick in the draft, would routinely outplay Shaq and Dwight, and is in the Hall of Fame. This guy is a 2nd round pick. He looks really good for 2nd rounder. They need to get him out of China pronto and send him to the D-league. He will never develop in China.

2. ballgame

ballgame Member

Looks like he's been watching Harden at the 2:19 mark. But he looks fluid, moves very well for his size. He just need to add muscle.

We need him next yr. Morey and MDA is going overboard on Small Ball.....we need size

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

On another note, the player who fouled Zhou was Carlos Boozer. I thought the guy up and retired...didn't realize he was still playing ball.

4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Good point on the competition. I hope Pelton is right about Qi. No doubt Morey knows how to evaluate potential. Mostly I was posting Yao's number to show how much of a beast he really was in the CBA. Granted Yao went 1st overall so expectations were high and for the most part he delivered. when Qi was drafted most thought it was a Le$ ploy. I saw it as taking a chance on youth, size, and future shooting touch.

The video scolandry 1 dropped from game 1 was interesting, he is very mobile for 7'2.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is really weak, but there is time for him to grow.

DD

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Just won CBA final game 3, but Zhou was playing with injured finger.

7. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Congratulations on Zhou Qi's CBA championship! He did it at about same age as Yao, and is led by Yao's CBA head coach.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What age is he, btw? Isn't he like 25? Still, I love his skill level. If anyone can make it work, it's D'Antoni.

#228 RudyTBag, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  9. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

He's 21. He's been followed by media since 15 years old, and his growth is well documented in China. Yi's age is questionable since there're conflicting documents found there.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I hope you are right. If he is 21, that's pretty damn impressive.

11. basketballholic

Sign him and bring him over. Waive Bobby Brown.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowtzki are pretty good skinny guys. When we had Yao, I never liked Yao's legs, it is too bulky for his frame. Look at Mutombo, look how long he played with his sticks. The only question for Zhou is does he have the mentality to survive in the NBA.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We need to bring his ass over. Letting him play internationally was fine this year, but now with the designated D-league player(s) etc .. there is no excuse not to control his development as precisely as possible.

He needs to be exposed to NBA summer league and D-league all while working on his body in the states where he can eat some Mc'Donalds to fatten his scrawny ass up ( but not too much )

Between Dekker, Harrell, Clint, Onuaku , and Qi the rockets have a stable of young guys all with physical talent and skills for the Modern NBA.

rocketsmetalspd likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Weird. I found Yao's legs to be the best part of his frame.

15. rocketsmetalspd

The guy needs to bulk up. Get him down here to RGV he will bulk up eating botanas guaranteed.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If you consider his feet a part of his legs then no way. I have bigger feet than him and I am over a foot shorter. His legs led to his early retirement.

17. Fantasma Negro

Looking good Joey, he plays a lot tougher after getting choked out

18. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

GOD! This kid is so trash ‍♂️

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Needs to gain a lot of strength. If you hit him, the contact is enough to completely change his trajectory. He's going to need to finish at the rim.

He's got some game for sure, but any NBA longevity is going to require him to build some muscle. Hard to judge his defense from these clips, but bonus points for stuffing Carlos Boozer.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chairman of Basketball Operations