1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Cobra Kai (true Karate Kid sequel!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2018.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've watched the 1st 2 episodes and I'm pleasantly surprised. But then again, I'm a Karate Kid superfan. Probably seen the movie 100 times and still watch it whenever I see it on TV.

I always thought Johnny's character was more interesting that Daniel's character. I'm glad this series seems to be focusing more on him (so far).

Full disclosure: I may or may not have a small man-crush on William Zabka. He's a handsome man.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its actually surprisingly... not bad.

Plenty of flashbacks to the original movie. Elizabeth shue in her early prime.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Just finished binge watching this and thought it was AMAZING! :eek:
    Definitely recommend for fans of the original.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. Caught the final 2 episodes tonight and it was damn good.

My only concern is whether or not people who weren't familiar with the original movie will have any interest in this at all. It doesn't really stand without that back-story, hence why they constantly have to flashback and show the parallels.

Did like how season 2 is already going to be set up.... but that's also often times the season that makes or breaks a series.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it was clever the way they called back to the original but then inverted the roles and points of view

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A quick YouTube question. Do you have to subscribe to YouTube Red to watch the series? I want to see it but I'm not really interested in subscribing. It's why I haven't bothered watching the new Star Trek series as I have no interest in subscribing to CBS's pay service.

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

You could try the one month free trial and binge the 10 episodes. You still have to sign up but you don't have to pay. I believe you can do the same for CBS too.

8. VanityHalfBlack

1984, simpler times man. I've yet to see the 4th one with Hilary Swank. You know what? I'll take a chance and watch it tonight. 80s will always be the best. ever.

9. Asian Sensation

You forgot the no homo at the end. Kidding.

I watched the first 2 episodes also. I too am a Karate Kid superfan as well so I’m hooked. Very good so far!

Ps Karate Kid is on Prime Video so you can watch anytime.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

I can’t imagine too many people watching this not being familiar with the original movie whether they watched it dozens of times or once recently as a prerequisite. I mean... it’s a classic and if there’s some unbeknown reason (90’s babies?) why one hasn’t seen it... it’s like 2 hrs to get acquainted.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I watched the first 2 episodes as well. It's pretty great.

12. Asian Sensation

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Most people I know under 30 are only familiar with the Jaden Smith version of Karate Kid.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. Asian Sensation

Millennials smh.

15. Asian Sensation

Just got done binging the whole season in one sitting. So good. Where’s season 2 at doe?

[​IMG]

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I watched the first two episodes that can be watched without subscribing and very good. I like how it is showing the relationship between Johnny and Danny as being very complex and both are characters with a lot of depth. During the trailers I thought it was going to be more of a comedic remake with the twist of Johnny now being the sympathetic sad sack loser and Danny now a rich *******. They are portrayed as much deeper and both are relatable and strike me as being very real characters. In just the two 1/2 hour episodes I feel I have much more understanding and sympathy for them than in three Karate Kid movies.
    Also on a personal side as a Martial Arts instructor in my late 40's I personally see a lot of parallels in my own life. I wish I could say I'm as successful as LaRusso but I can see more of myself in Johnny..

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

why would I use youtube red when I can just use redtube?

@Snow Villiers

18. Buck Turgidson

Shame on all these white people appropriating the glorious martial arts culture of such Asian icons as David Carradine, Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal.

Based on yall's reviews I will definitely be checking this out.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Another thought I was thinking about with Cobra Kai was the idea how one event can so drastically change what happens in the rest of life. You really get the feeling that if Danny hadn't won the 1984 all Valley championship things would've turned out much differently for both him and Johnny. This is has been used a lot in story plots a lot but I think is really well done here and very believable.

As a Sensei myself though I really like the idea of how much affect a teacher has on the student. As much as Danny was changed by Miyagi he is very haunted by his loss. Johnny was also greatly changed and haunted by Kreese. One of the main points of this show does seem to be how both men redeem the legacy of their teachers.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

they have to get Elizabeth Shue back somehow