1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Cobra Kai (true Karate Kid sequel!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

‘Cobra Kai’ Teaser Trailer Reunites ‘The Karate Kid’ with His High School Bully
    Posted on Thursday, February 15th, 2018 by Ethan Anderton

[​IMG]

At the end of last summer, we learned YouTube Red had picked up a new series called Cobra Kai that would see Ralph Macchio and William Zabka reprising their famous roles as Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence from The Karate Kid. Now we finally have our first look at the show.

Cobra Kai takes place in present day, where the former karate championship opponents are now adults struggling to find balance in their lives. In the first Cobra Kai teaser trailer, Johnny (Zabka) reopens the Cobra Kai dojo in a last ditch effort to make something of himself. This inevitably leads to a confrontation with Daniel (Macchio) and the return of the old rivalry between them.

Watch the Cobra Kai Teaser Trailer

This has a much more serious tone than I was expecting, but that’s not surprising since YouTube Global Head of Original Content Susanne Daniels told us earlier this year that it was more of a dramedy. At the time, she said, “I think it leans into the tone of the movies in that there are dramatic moments throughout. I think it’s very faithful really in some ways to what the movie set about doing, the lessons imparted in the movie if you will. It’s next generation Karate Kid.”

What Is Cobra Kai About?
    Not too long ago, we found out that the series finds Johnny as a septic tank cleaner whose life has become rather depressing, so much that he’s even mistaken for a homeless person. We’re not sure how a guy like that has the money or resources to reopen a karate dojo, but we’ll go along for the ride.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Johnny has a son named Robby (Tanner Buchanan) who is determined to prove himself to be nothing like his father, which probably doesn’t feel all that great. That’s likely why he takes a bullied convenience store clerk named Miguel (Xolo Maridueña) under his wing. Meanwhile, Ed Asner plays Johnny’s step-father Sid Weinberg.

As for Daniel’s family, Courtney Henggeler (Mom) will play his wife and business partner Amanda, and Mary Mouser(Freakish) plays their daughter, Samantha, who is described as a firecracker.

For some reason, the reopening of the Cobra Kai dojo doesn’t sit well with Daniel, even if Johnny is using it to help a bullied kid. Maybe Daniel’s seemingly perfect life as a car salesman with a family isn’t as perfect as it seems. As you can see in the trailer above, Daniel and Johnny are at odds, but they will likely end up working together as some new bullies come into the picture: a wrestler named Kyler and his thug brothers who see karate as a joke.

Honestly, this series looks better than I anticipated, though admittedly this is a pretty short teaser. However, from the quick footage glimpsed in it, there might be some interesting angles to explore in the series. In fact, it looks like there’s flashback to when Johnny first discovered the Cobra Kai dojo. Origin stories be damned – maybe it will provide some redemption for The Karate Kid bully.

Josh Heald (Hot Tub Time Machine) wrote Cobra Kai with Harold & Kumar franchise creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg and they’re all executive producing the series with Susan Ekins, Will Smith, James Lassiter, and Caleeb Pinkett.

Cobra Kai debuts on YouTube Red sometime this year, but there’s no release date yet.

seclusion likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Without Pat Morita they just shouldn't bother. He's the reason it was a great movie, otherwise it was just another bad 80's movie.

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

I dunno. William Zabka really embraced his A-Hole mystique in the 80s, and he's done a good job reprising it recently.

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

And to those who haven't seen this.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The demon sorcerer. That was good.

Surfguy, Zboy and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

You forgot "child batterer."

CometsWin likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

The Zabka returns.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Gonna be so bad that it will be so good.

10. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I really want this to be good, but the trailers have been leading me otherwise

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. PhiSlammaJamma

My aunt and uncle invested in the original movie. So I've always had an affinity for it.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm interested. But I think they missed an opportunity. There were several great moments in the original like the wax on and wax off reveal, but one additional moment that resonated was when Johnny finally accepted the Karate Kid as the best at the end of the movie. Nobody really saw that respect coming. So think the story to be told here is a redemption story for Johnny. We'd all likely root for him.

One thing they touched on in the trailer that is probably a bitter truth for many, is when your rival is on television everyday having outdone you. That has got to suck. Maybe they got your girl. Maybe they got your job. Maybe they got your money or trophies. Has to suck.

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This trailer makes it look a lot more promising. Will def watch

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I've seen several trailers so far, and is this supposed to be a comedy, a drama, or something in between? The tone seems to switch from scene to scene in all of the trailers so far.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I missed this official trailer until now- thanks for posting it, C.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Anyone watching? Karate is back baby!!! 80s is the best!!! NO MERCY!!! MIYAGI!!!!

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I caught a few episodes.
    it is entertaining

Rocket River

19. SuraGotMadHops

I watched the first two episodes which are free on YouTube right now. I really like what they're doing. Zabka's performance in particular has been really impressive.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I felt the same.
    Not as bad as I suspectwe

Rocket River