1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your opinion of Steve Kerr

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Mar 28, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Alright, I just want to get into this, because to me Kerr as a coach is not the person that we've come to know as a commentator. Throughout his stint with the Warriors he's been very vocal, on the sidelines and in the media and has had his moments of doing something odd / genius / out of the regular - a bit Pop style - which has been funny. Even when he's a bit arrogant, having fun with the media, being a bit cocky, but this season he's become the leader of the crybabies. He comes across as smug, constantly talks about refereeing - seemingly very self-involved and with a sense of entitlement - even about other teams and Harden in particular and the media treats him like Pop (like he's a god) and like he speaks for his whole generation.

He's very knowledgeable and I get why people listen to what he has to say, he seems very approachable, but somehow I'm still not sure if Kerr is playing his coach role so 'well' or just reveals a part of himself he's been able to hide since he didn't get the media attention he gets now. I'm wondering how others feel about him. Has he always been like this a player, commentator, coach or has it been more and more and do you agree he's come across as smug, cocky and self-entitled? With the comments about Harden and everything, you think it's just a tactic to get referees to watch him and call him differently - kind of like what the Mavs did behind closed doors with Yao? Is Kerr really clever somehow and just all acting maybe?

I still think he's a smart guy who's not some horrible coach who lucked into the right situation, though I don't view him as some kind of genius coach who the Warriors need to be successful, but just think if he continues this way that it's going to be hard for me or anyone not to turn on him for his attitude as a coach at least.

RiceRockets, ipaman and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

let's be real here. without the moving picks being ignored by the league 3-4 consecutive years and without getting gifted KD, his success wouldn't be anywhere what it's been. that being said, he's a fuking tool.

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I feel like there’s a reason that Jordan punched him/smashed his head into a locker or whatever else he did to him. The guy seems to have an ‘I’m better than you’ complex.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Steve Kerr is a fraud & it's too bad he didn't take that Knicks job to show the world how much of a fraud he is. ;)

And his Pop shtick, stop it. You are not Pop.

5. Roxs-Redemption

Rudy T, Phil Jackson, Popovich, Mike D'A, Monty Williams, Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle, Chuck Daly, Erik Spoelstra, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach
    >>>
    Doc Rivers
    >
    Steve Kerr
    >
    Thibbs

Edit:
    This can't be good for his blood pressure!

#5 Roxs-Redemption, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    don grahamleone likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Smug *******

Fulgore, RiceRockets and jevjnd like this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

cheese dick

jevjnd likes this.
  8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I think it's fine that coaches are speaking up about whatever's going on. Obviously some will be more outspoken and some will be given the chance more than others.

I think Kerr is fine, quite a good reputation among former players. Only this year he's been a bit irritating especially if you're a Rocket's fan. But I chalk it as just psychological games in time for the playoffs. That crap about letting his players coach themselves for that one game was weird. Should probably piss the other team off.

Exiled and joeson332 like this.
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Kerr is a good coach. It's easy to forget, but the Warriors blew the doors off of the league during his first year despite being nearly the same roster as the one that Mark Jackson struggled with. Something Kerr did worked.

His good fortune in having Durant go to Golden State obscures his coaching ability (anyone could win 50-60 games per with this team), but I think he's top-tier. People throw around "players coach" like it's an epithet, but there's real skill in keeping egos in check and getting guys to buy in. Look at coaches like Thibs who are dinosaurs that run their players into the ground. I'd take Kerr 10 times out of 10 over a guy like Thibs.

10. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

I'm excited Michael Jordan clocked him in the face

jevjnd, D-rock and J.R. like this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He wishes he was pop.

He is also more arrogant than Pop and it comes off as forced.

12. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

13. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I don't think this is Pop behavior. He learned this from his old coach and mentor Phil Jackson. No one was better at the media, ref, and league manipulation than Phil when he had a good team. I could find a billion examples, but check this one out from 2010 (You could change the names in here and you wouldn't know it wasn't Kerr talking about James and the Rockets):

"EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- When the Los Angeles Lakers clinched a berth in the Western Conference finals on Monday, Lakers coach Phil Jackson had nothing but praise for his team's upcoming opponent, the Phoenix Suns, saying that the Suns are playing their best basketball of the season.

On Friday, Jackson retreated from praise and started posturing when asked if it was difficult to simulate the Suns and their star point guard Steve Nash in practice during the long layoff before Game 1.

"Yeah, because you can't carry the ball like he does in practice," Jackson said, smiling as he moved his arm and turned over his palm, the symbol for an illegal carry in the unofficial sign language of basketball. "You can't pick that ball up and run with it."

The 36-year-old Nash is averaging 17.8 points and 9.0 assists per game in the postseason after averaging 13.8 points and 9.0 assists in four regular-season games against L.A."

(from http://www.espn.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5189958)

Phil did this nonstop. Praise, praise, praise, ref-baiting criticism, praise, praise, praise.

RayRay10 and RocketWalta like this.
  14. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

jkjk. TBH I don't have a strong opinion on Steve Kerr. I don't really think about him.

If I were forced to give an opinion... based on the assumption he has similar world views as Pop, I like him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think he unleashed the potential of his squad to the fullest. He created the perfect system for the talented team he has. But even when he was gone, Luke Walton still went almost undefeated with them so I don't know how much his coaching is actually worth.

If you gave him a different roster would his system be as effective, Steph Curry and Klay don't grow on trees

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely comes off as smug and a prick. But he's a pretty good coach, def top 5 in the league I'd say. At this point he doesn't have to do too much coaching tho when his guys are healthy.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My opinion of Steve Kerr is that he's a good guy, extremely approachable and friendly outside when the game is being played, competitive in game as one may expect, understandably confident in the abilities of his players, and unafraid to experiment as a coach.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't have a problem with him. But, it would be fun to see him coach a team like maybe the Sacramento Kings.

jevjnd likes this.
  19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yes I was thinking this, Phil Jackson type stuff! Good call

glenadyll likes this.
  20. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

I don't think he's some genius coach.. if hes so great based off of the success of the warriors, then both Luke and Gentry who took his place for a short time with tons of success should be put on that list. Maybe I'm being a hater but I really think of him as a snake to answer the op..

don grahamleone likes this.