1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Alvarez's potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockbox, Jul 7, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Pretty big. It would give Correa more of an opportunity and chance if runners are on with 2 outs. With how deep our lineup is 1-6 and then 1-7 if Alvarez was hitting, you want to take advantage at any opportunity to score.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Correa is 2 for his last 23 with 10 strikeouts. His homer was huge in extras but he hasn’t really hit well either of late.

The Astros haven’t given each other much protection in the line up because most the line up has struggled. The Rays have exceptionally talented pitchers. The Yankees have Tanaka (who is great in the post season) and 5 top notch relievers. So you add it all up and a lot of guys are struggling.

The good news is even going against really good pitching, the Astros have had bad luck and slumped and that won’t last forever.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Correa at least has been seeing the ball better and having good at bats. His plate appearances were so much better in game 2 than Yordans were. Yordan struck out flailing at a ball 3 feet off the plate in that game and then proceeded to break his bat.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

They are all small sample sizes honestly.

I’m not saying moving the order around is insane but I personally would leave it as it is. Alvarez was the better hitter this season by a large margin so I am not a big fan of small sample size changes; especially when Alvarez hit over 300 last series.

We will see what happens. Hopefully both get hot.

5. Jeremy Williams

Agreed on Correa. He hasn’t done anything to show he should be moved in front of Alvarez. In fact, since moving up a spot, Yuli hasn’t done anything in front of Alvarez either.

Also agreed on a small sample size. Alvarez has had 3 bad games at the plate. He hit .317 in the ALDS. Fans are just remembering he hasn’t homered since mid-September.

Our team as a whole is poorly hitting this postseason. Incredibly, our pitching has been good enough for us to win anyway. Hopefully the bats start hitting and the elite pitching continues. It would be awesome to see both at the same time in one of these high pressure series.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  6. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude has faced 20 different pitchers so far - that’s nuts

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Reminds me of a young Chris Carter.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

You should be banned for that comment.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sorry, get him out of there.

King1 likes this.
  10. The Real Shady

Sorry. I've dumped a decent sum of money on Yordan baseball cards during the season hoping to flip them after I expected him to put on a show in the playoffs. Losing a lot of money.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Got exposed in the playoffs.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m not sure if I should laugh or cry at how abysmal he’s been his first time around in the playoffs. My goodness it’s been bad. This isn’t any long term writing him off for me as a truly special hitter, and it’s not completely unexpected that he’d struggle, but man, I think you could pick a random single A player and he wouldn’t look any worse than Yordan has lately. Tough to watch.

BigShasta likes this.
  13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Mini-Bagwell. Regular season hero

14. The Real Shady

He was slumping a little going into the playoffs though.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He will learn. I was hoping he was like Cabrera was his first postseason in Florida.

UTSA2step likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Kid's a rookie. That's pretty much it.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well it's safe to say by now Correa is getting in a slight rhythm and at least getting contact and walks while Alverez is whiffing on on everything.

jcf likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

This happens to basically every rookie at some point: the League figures them out. It's obvious how everyone wants to pitch Yordan now, he just has to adjust to it. Can he? Sure. Will he? Who knows. Next year should be fun.

topfive and Blake like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. CrazyJoeDavola

So........

Losing DH for at least 2 games. No way newly crowned ALCS MVP, Uncle Mike or Tuck sit. So that leaves Tuck in CF for at least 2 games? Obviously subject to late inning defensive replacement, so we will lose at least one of the 3 bats late. Which one?