1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Alvarez's potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockbox, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Nice thing about him is you can pretty much cross off half the teams in MLB as a potential destination...unless they change the DH rule.

2. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

That's now 2 home runs that I have never seen anyone else place a ball at. CF train tracks and then upper deck of RF foul pole. Glad to see both in person.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Didn’t Berkman hit a ball up there before?

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Projected out to 162 we're talking 52 HR and 164 RBI. OK, people miss games. Gotta give a slightly more conservative number

So per 650...48 HR and 152 RBI. That's officially the standard big fella. If it's too high that's your own damn fault. Frankly 70 and 200 should be expected with the experience under his belt, but I'm a reasonable man.

everyday eddie and tmacfor35 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Nope, unless it was in BP.

Kinda disappointed that Yordan pulled that one too much to break the video screen again.

whiskeyred likes this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

HR reminded me of the Canseco bomb back in the day. No way Yordan's was only 415 feet.

[​IMG]

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That swing on his second home run was beautiful. I know he has a sweet swing, but that one in particular was beautiful

everyday eddie, Tfor3 and whiskeyred like this.
  8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

During the broadcast, they mentioned the only other person to hit it there was Jeromy Burnitz, in 2000.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Did anyone ever give an estimated distance on the 2nd homerun last night. If that was 413 feet then Yao Ming was only 6 feet 2 inches

vince and Tfor3 like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It was initially projected at 416, but heard actual was 430 something. The distance of that second homer wasn't the impressive part...how high it landed in the stands was the impressive part. I'd guess Alvarez has hit some lasers that landed in a lower part of the stands that would have gone farther if the stands weren't there.

vince likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Would he get the MVP over Trout this season, had he hypothetically played all season and ended up with 50/145 315 average and 1.100 OPS? As a DH? I'm not so sure.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yep. On replay-slo-mo, it appeared to barely clear the rafters :eek:

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No. Only way a DH gets mvp is by hitting 70+ HR.

rockbox and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

That is what I think as well.

Maybe in a season where there is a lack of good candidates for MVP someone can sneak in, but in the current environment it isn't happening.

15. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I’ll take him just the way he is, offensive production is what it is. The lineup is scary when he is producing, I believe he should be batting 3rd or 4th all the time and he probably will next year. Hinch just doesn’t want to be disrespectful to the ones in front of now. They will all slump at times but I believe he is similar to Brantley with his contact ability with more power. Nook called it when he was in the minors about his potential and that he was the better hitter than Tucker. There’s a long way to go in both their careers but Álvarez appears to be superior.

everyday eddie and deb4rockets like this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Brantley: 61 strikeouts, 526 at-bats
    Yordan: 77 strikeouts, 263 at-bats

Gurriel, Bregman, and Altuve are also far superior at contact ability, and Springer is mildly better. I think it's doubtful Alvarez cracks the top 4 in the the lineup when all are healthy.

bigdaddy likes this.
  17. vator

vator Contributing Member

You make a solid point, but he walks a lot though. 41 walks in those at bats to only 47 for Brantley. His on base percentage is second only to Bregman at the moment and he leads the team in slugging by a wide margin. His OPS is the best on the team. Not to mention he has 72 RBIs in 71 games. Why would you move a guy producing numbers like that? It's unprecedented.

everyday eddie and vince like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

I think Yordan hitting where he is hitting is perfectly fine.

He has feasted on pitchers just fine, and he has the RBI’s to back it up; just like the Bregman, Brantley, and Gurriel.

Now with Tucker starting to hit his stride, and whom I think is going to have an awesome campaign next year, and will likely be hitting #7 or # 8....

Shoot with Correa, Springer, Altuve, Brantley, Alvarez, Bregman, Gurriel, and Tucker!!! Yikes...

Only bummer is that Garret Cole is probably going somewhere else for like the richest pitching contract in the history of the MLB.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Using @sealclubber1016's 650 PA projections, Alvarez would wind up with ~6.9-7.0 bWAR; Trout is already at 8.1 with 600 PAs. He'll end up near 9 (~8.8).

Hell, he'd STILL trail Bregman (7.4 right now) and Verlander (7.0 right now).

20. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

Gurriel benefits hitting after Alvarez I never said he was superior to the ones you mentioned that he was superior to the top 4, I said his ability is superior to Tucker. It’ll be a hard sell because of your points. I think he deserves to be in the conversation for 3 or 4 in the lineup, his production is off the charts.