1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yelling At Cloud] Deleted All Social Media

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Sep 22, 2018.

1. MystikArkitect

Wife and I took a trip to Miami a few weeks back. She had a decent Instagram account with 3k or so followers. I had a Twitter account mainly for sports follows but also some political and business stuff. After being there and seeing *everyone* seemingly just cataloguing every single thing they were doing to broadcast on their social platform of choice we both got home and deleted them all. Feels weird at times but have felt so much more productive since doing it. You don’t realize that you not only spend a bunch of time pretending to be doing certain things, but it even becomes to dictate the things you do so that it looks good for Gram or FB.

Feels good man.

2. theimpossibles1

Definitely thought you were mad at 'the cloud' for deleting your data.

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Free yourself man!! We are willing digital slaves.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

deleted any social media i had (linked in doesn't count) mid mid-late 2000s. feels good, but my young wifu is still very much active so it's indirectly affecting me again.

curse you clouds! curse you to hell!

CCity Zero and theimpossibles1 like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

People who catalog nearly everything they do on social media make me want to vomit. Self-absorption at it's worst.

On social media (which for me is limited to Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIN), I'm a "stalker". I post nothing about myself but read about others.

(For anyone who hasn't watched the Black Mirror episode entitled "Nosedive", please do. It is somewhat related to the subject here).

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Don’t worry bout what the **** I be doin.

- Chris Tucker

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i have a high school friend who lives his entire life on facebook. i hide him from my timeline b/c he posts so much, but ill check his page and count how many posts he makes in a 24 hour peroid...he averages at least 20 posts/day. ive made a game out of it over the years and his record is 52 posts in a 24 hour period.

75% of his stuff is 3 things...food, kid or picture of vinyl he is currently listening to.

i kind of feel sorry for him b/c he seems lonely, but when you have one person taking up 20% of your newsfeed its just too much facebook!

Torn n Frayed and Snow Villiers like this.
  10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I know a guy like this but he just seems mad at everyone and is always b****in on there. Lol

11. theimpossibles1

Found this GIF of OP:

[​IMG]

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There are limitations. Moderation.

If one spends time "cataloging" then one isn't immersive in the moment. I see this all the time at live concerts. They video it, but don't just sit back/stand up and enjoy it.

So really, it is just about picking and choosing a few select events to snapshot and then move on.

Have to live life

13. theimpossibles1

So you feel sorry for your friend who "lives his entire life on FB," meanwhile you have made a game "over the years" of counting his daily posts. Might wanna look in the mirror. o_O

14. MystikArkitect

This is true in theory, but what I’ve witnessed is that this just isn’t the norm. There were girls on the beach spending *hours* photographing. Your phone needs to be ready and recording just in case a cool moment comes up that you’re gonna want to share.

Just yesterday I went out with a bud in Sugar Land to a bar. There was a table next to us with 4 women. They ordered a dish for them all to share. Like clockwork: out come all 4 phones to photograph the dish. It’s a damn appetizer.

Everything in moderation, but this literally has taken over our lives.

Torn n Frayed and arkoe like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No doubt. I shake my head at the thought that there are APPS to limit our time/usage on a phone. We can't internally do this? This says it all to me.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Got rid of FB long ago. Never had an instagram. Have a LinkedIn that I update when I'm looking for a job, and a twitter that I use to follow Woj and Shams and the like.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Social media is only a problem if you let it become a problem. If you don't have self control, thats on you. I only use Instagram for the most part but I find it very useful and enjoyable. Its a great way to find what you want to order at a restaurant, hear about events around town, see dope nature photos, checking out ski conditions in real time, find funny memes, butt models of course, etc. Plus all these things are easy to share with friends.

macalu likes this.
  18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Agreed. just b/c you have an account you don't need to look at it 8 hours a day. It's helped me keep in touch with people very easily. The ones I don't care for I just remove their feed.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I only have Instagram and I was using it regularly to post stuff onto my stories. Mostly food/dog/travel stuff.

Then I was like ...why? why am i broadcasting my life to people who I never even talk to. I have also noticed only about 20-30% of your followers "like" anything you post. The rest just look and scroll through.

So a few months back I stopped posting stories and I removed a good chunk of my followers.

According to screen time in iOS12, I use IG ~50 mins a day. I need to cut it down. It's mostly browsing the explore tab to see stupid memes and girls (for research purposes).

At the core of social media is our human instinct to validate our experiences with other people. hey! i am in spain!!! look at what i am looking at!. look at what i am eating! am i not cool!?!

The direct messaging is useful because I can send pics or short clips to people without taking up space on my phone. Other than that..waste of time.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've kept my social media accounts, but I just doing like using them (aside from cf.net obviously). It seems like the compunction to delete accounts is to enforce some self-control because in some way people like them. I go on Facebook and see whatever my friends are doing, eating, agreeing with, what their babies look like, or whatever and I am just bored. I quit pretty quickly. Even the friends who are real friends I love, I'd like to see their baby in real life but not on facebook. I culled my friends list to only people I'd actually want to hear from (my wife said I should hide them instead so I don't offend anyone by unfriending them, but I nuked them anyway), but it doesn't help. I only keep it around so I can put photos of the kids for my mother to see -- but I don't do that anymore either; it feels like I am compromising their digital safety in ways people don't even understand yet, which has sapped all the pleasure of that as well. I have twitter as well, but I only follow a couple of people, and I almost never check it either. It would actually be advantageous to my career to be present on twitter, but I just can't make myself do it.