1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Yahoo Sports] Houston is the front runner to land the San Jose Earthquakes...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

YAHOO SPORTS

Houston a contender to land MLS team

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
    November 16, 2005
    HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston is the front-runner to land Major League Soccer's San Jose Earthquakes if the franchise's owners decide to move it.

"This is the market they've got their sights set on," commissioner Don Garber said Wednesday before Mexico played a Bulgarian split squad in an exhibition game.

MLS said this week it had granted permission to the Earthquakes' owners -- the Anschutz Entertainment Group -- to relocate the team by next season. Garber said AEG had 30 days to make a decision.

Garber said even if the Earthquakes stay in California, the MLS will find a way to bring a club to Houston.

"We will have a team in Houston in due time," he said. "The question is whether we have one as early as 2006 as part of a move, or as an expansion team. We'll get a team here, there's no doubt in our mind."

San Jose is a charter member of the MLS and won the league's championship in 2001 and 2003. Despite the on-field success, the Earthquakes have been shaken by front-office turmoil and a dwindling attendance. AEG has wanted to sell the franchise, but has struggled to find a buyer.

Garber said the league would prefer to see the Earthquakes stay put. But he also said the league has had "preliminary discussions" with investors in Houston interested in the team. Garber would not identify the investors.

"We've had lots of discussions with people here," he said. "This is a market that we've got investor interest, we've got sponsor interest, we've got media interest. This is a market that's going to be terrific for us."

Garber said the team's owners are interested in using Robertson Stadium at the University of Houston or a high school stadium until a permanent home is built. Garber said the Earthquakes won't relocate to Houston unless the league is assured that plans for a new stadium are in the works.

"We need to get a small, soccer-themed facility here," he said. "It wouldn't make a lot of sense to move here without having that plan in place. But we're pretty confident we can get that done."

Garber said the league is mainly attracted to Houston because of its Hispanic population. Games involving the Mexican national team and other Latin American squads have drawn big crowds in recent years.

"You've got lots of Hispanics in this market. You've got lots of people playing soccer here who are not Hispanic," Garber said. "It's a market that we think has a very, very high potential for soccer in this country. They've had great success here over the years."

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I would love to have a team here, but it seems doubtful at this point that the Earthquakes will be moving here next season. They would basically have to find a location to play and have it renovated to be usable and set up their marketing/ticket sells in a very short time. The only place ready now is probably Relient Stadium which may be tough to get a deal worked out with. Other options would be Robertson Stadium at UH which needs work done to ge it ready or Delmar which HISD is renovating.

I think a team in 2007 through expansion or relocating San Jose or KC is most likely now.

Here's an article from the Chron about the possible move.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/soc/3464340

#2 DrLudicrous, Nov 17, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  3. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

There's a brand new sports complex being built out here in Cypress, not sure when it will be open though. If you're talking about HS stadiums, I'm sure it would work.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I guess you are talking about that place on Barker Cypress. That's Cy-Fair ISD's other football stadium, and new basketball facility. I am sure they are goin got make that field turf.

I think it's too far out there in the suburbs for a stadium.

You do have to consider that a lot of these soccer fans just may be hispanics, and you do want to consider the hispanic market. How many hispanic people would be willing to drive from the east end all the way up 290?

The location at Delmar is perfect. It's basically in the city, yet reachable by the suburban soccer fans.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's why they're giving themselves a 30 day deadline. everything i'm hearing sounds very good for the MLS to be playing in Houston in 2006.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

They do mention the new CyFair field as a possibilty in the Chron article, I guess them moving here comes down to what kind of deal they can get at one of the places in the next month.

7. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

why why why

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

with the first home in houston likely being a temporary solution...but making in-roads in the houston market, to be sure.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This is great. I love it. Now if we could get some more TV coverage for soccer... :(
    Gracias. You make so much f(*)$^*%&@)#^$ sense with that rhetorical question it's unbelievable. :)

How about we put the team in the barrio in the East End? ;)

jk. I would LOVE to have some soccer nearby Katy.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i was thinking of putting the stadium in acre homes or the fifth ward.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Wow

We'd go from one natural disaster to another.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Sounds good, they would only move if guaranteed a soccer only stadium, like the new Pizza Hut Park or Home Depot Center.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Houston will inevitably get a team whether through the san jose franchise or an expansion team. Its too big of a market to miss. Toronto is probably going to get the newest expansion team and if Houston doesn't get San Jose's team, they'll be next on the list for an expansion franchise. However, I'd hope we get San Jose's team because they are already established and are one of the best in the league so we can skip the crappy expansion team phase.

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I ain't paying for it.

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

No thanks. Golf on TV is bad enough. :p

16. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Hey a team shooting 30% in soccer would be pretty good! :( (twhy77_believes still)

17. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The Rockets are offering their "bricks' for free for the construction.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i was about to say, NO MORE EVACUEES

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I live right by Pizza Hut Park. It's one of the reasons I bought a house out here. I know squat about soccer but wouldn't mind attending some of these games. Hopefully Houston gets a team.

My dilemma will be who the heck would I cheer for? :(

20. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

How about they remove the paint from the windows on top of the Astrodome and grow grass in there again. The windows were painted because outfielders couldn't see fly balls. I don't think there would be the same issues with soccer.

The other option would be Roberston Stadium. Go in with the Cougars and expand the seating up to the once proposed 50,000.