1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(x likes)

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by JuanValdez, Apr 11, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I see now in the list of threads, after the author and posting time, it gives a count of the number of likes the original post has in parentheses. I'm not complaining, but I'm trying to figure out what use I can put this information to. If the OP has a lot of likes, does that mean the thread is more worthwhile? Should I give extra consideration to the OP and whether or not I want to like it, taking into account all the ramifications it might have for the reading habits of others? o_O

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is this a Likes thread?

Sold

Jontro, ThatBoyNick and KingCheetah like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

just came to ask about this, too.

Seems like a suitable replacement for the 1-5 meter that the previous bbs had, but much more subtle and not so in your face. plus, the 1-5 meter thingy really didn't work that well for suggesting threads that might be quality. this is better.

4. split41

split41 Member

I'm asking about this too, if this is the case, would a feature like sorting recent threads by like counts maybe implemented? Like a top posts kind of thing.

Also if this does indicate a higher quality thread, I'll start liking the OP in thread topics that are worthwhile to discuss even if I disagree, it'll kind of change my "like" habit.

That being said I am much less conservative throwing around "likes" then I was when we had rep bars. Reps were sacred. When I was new to the board those with Hakeem status had immediate respect ;)

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It only shows the quality of the OP. It does not guarantee the thread not having degenerated into a bad thread. The old 5-star system rates the thread, not the opening post.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I think in general even the 5 star system rated the OP in majority of the cases.

napalm06, Clutch and heypartner like this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think a star rating and in parentheses a count for the number of 5-stars given would be a better way of quantifying thread quality.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The 5 Star rating also tended to rate the "news" in the thread, rather than the thread quality.

For example, a very insightful discussion in a thread about "Durant chooses not to sign with Houston" would be rated 2 stars.

Meanwhile an abomination of a Jeremy Lin thread could be 5 stars if the OP was a gif by Rodman23.

9. JuanValdez

I see the presentation is now different. Instead of "(x likes)", it shows "+x" over on the right. There is nothing to indicate what it is supposed to mean. I'd have been clueless if it wasn't for the previous syntax. Clutch, I suggest a fly-over to explain what the "+x" signifies.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It looks like it means the number of likes for the first post.

11. JuanValdez

Random though on likes. In the "Likes You've Received" area, it'd be interesting to be able to sort your likes various ways. I went there wondering which inane post of mine has gotten the most Likes. But there isn't any good way to tell.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keep an open mind. Some new posters aint bad.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I usually like my own posts to get the ball rolling.

14. JuanValdez

By OP, I meant Original Post, not Original Poster, if that caused any confusion. Sometimes, when I find a thread has a good discussion, I'll scroll back to the opening post and like it (whether it is good or not) as a way to grade or endorse the whole thread.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's not a measure of 'quality' necessarily... but I guess it is a measure of enjoyability?

Someone could just post something funny/irrelevant, or post a hot take that ends up being completely bogus, but get a hundred likes.

Meanwhile a boring, factual update about something could get 2-3 likes.

Then again, the 1-5 star thing suffered from the same problem. Plus people rated a thread low just because they didn't like the topic (Patrick Beverley Traded To The Jazz) even though the discussion was 5 star.

Now I'm just rambling. OK, bye.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

In for the likes.

Jontro and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

let's get this likes party started yawls!

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

Likes seem less human than what we had before. You can't even leave a comment on why you liked it.

Jontro likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, you can always reply to the post. :)

Jontro and heypartner like this.
  20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

x (likes) gon' give it to ya.

DudeWah and Jontro like this.