1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[X Files] Official: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rashmon, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Didn't see it posted. I really hope this happens...

Official: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes

Posted March 24 2015 — 12:00 PM EDT

The truth is right here, and it’s amazing: After 13 years off the air, The X-Files is officially returning to Fox as a limited series.

Stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are back on board, along with creator Chris Carter.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The only part of this huge news you might not like: There are only six episodes planned.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen and CEOs of Fox Television Group. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

The sci-fi procedural classic first premiered in 1993. It became one of Fox’s first major breakout hits and a pop-culture sensation that went on to last nine seasons and spawn two feature films. The show also earned 16 Emmys and helped pave the way for other prime-time sci-fi shows like ABC’s Lost and Fox’s Fringe. Once again, the series will follow FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases.

Carter’s “six stories” comment seems to suggest the series will embrace the show’s original format of focusing on stand-alone mysteries rather than delving into the serialized alien conspiracy mythology that dominated some of the show’s episodes and its first feature film (at least, that’s what I want to believe).

The move follows Fox reviving another one of its hits, 24, for a shortened run last year. The X-Files deal has been in the works since at least January when executives told reporters at the network’s press tour presentation that they were trying to revive the show.

The X-Files will start production this summer. There’s no premiere date yet, and no word if other cast members from the original series will return.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I just finished watching the whole series on Netflix last week. Coincidence?

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Was it good? Thinking of adding it to the list of binge watching

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude that's like 100 episodes

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I feel about this the same way I felt about "24" coming back and to a greater degree the same way I felt about sequels to "Anchorman", "Dumb and Dumber" and the upcoming "Zoolander sequel". Just let a good show or movie be.

No need to bring it back.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

X-Files had 202 episodes....

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

If you liked Breaking Bad, the X Files, although very different in that it's not an ongoing story per se, is very similar in structure. Vince Gilligan wrote about 20-25 episodes, and almost all of his begin with a cold open, twisted humor, etc.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

X-Files, especially the first few seasons, was a really great show. It wasn't just the mysteries and supernatural, unexplained stuff...but the characters were really great too.

It ran 2-3 seasons too long, and had some of the same issues that Lost had later...big build up, puny pay off in a lot of the long running conspiracies.

If they do it correctly, a six episode mini series could be excellent.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've never seen X-Files. It seemed like a scary show when I was growing up similar to Unsolved Mysteries. What is a good season to watch?

10. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

You have to watch from the first one. You can watch season 6 episode 19 to get started tho.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

First Calvin and Bill, back on the air together and now more x-files. I must have died and gone to nostalgia heaven.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Season 3. Even more specifically, season 3, episode 20, "Jose Chung's From Outer Space." Very mind-bending, David Lynch-esque episode.

13. conquistador#11

i'm not saying i'm a david and gillian only fan but I didn't finish watching when T2 was the agent. I can't believe this is happening! is this real life?

Jontro likes this.
  14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I sure hope it's better than that last movie they put out.

Scully should be looking pretty good at least, judging by "The Fall".

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I thought they already did this and called it Bones.

16. lalala902102001

My enthusiasm about an X-Files reunion died down a lot after the last movie. It was horrible.

<possible spoiler alert>

BTW nothing happened on 12/22/12. How are they going to explain that?! LOL.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

3 or 4. Or just individual episodes, really:

1. Triangle
    2. Paper Hearts
    3. The Post-Modern Prometheus
    4. Bad Blood
    5. Jose Chung...
    6. Home (but this is really the scariest - absolutely creepy)
    7. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
    8. The Host

Numerous others- Vince Gilligan wrote this one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9drs_xHbLB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I don't see how anyone can watch this more than once - disturbing is the right word:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q_uQBemr9S0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#17 dandorotik, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking about The Fall with Gillian Anderson. We ran across it and binge watched all the episodes a couple of weekends ago. It's really excellent (for those who haven't seen it, you should), and Gillian is amazingly hot for a 40-something chick. Before I saw her in that series, I would have been mildly interested in bringing X-Files back, but she was so damn good in it that I'm excited about seeing her in something/anything! (sorry for the Todd Rundgren reference - couldn't help myself) I'm glad you mentioned it.

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Scully was one of those actresses that looked better as the show aged. It was probably the style of 90s, big baggy suits, weird bob haircut.

Not expecting anything great from the extension. More or less excitement from pure nostalgia. I hope it's more serialized than episodic.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member