1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

^Patient apparently came from Solano County, which includes Vallejo/Vacaville and is part of greater San Fran/Oakland area.

2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

the test availability and delay is concerning

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I need to read the last two still, but on the first one regarding reinfection - I remember reading this one and am hoping meds were last resort - per heart issue, just bad though

malakas likes this.
  4. rimrocker

What's just as concerning is the patient was at a previous hospital before transferring to UC Davis. We'll see how many infections will come from that hospital.

5. rimrocker

Add Estonia and Denmark to the list.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jontro likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I asked and will get back when she does.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

For anyone following this little story, the doctors have now confirmed that he will be blind for the rest of his life. We're all still reeling with the ramifications, but it's confirmed now.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is pretty sad news. Sorry.

Heard Diabetes was one of the causes for blindness for people over 60.

Thoughts go to your family.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

sorry to hear that breh. my father in law died of diabetes last year. total kidney failure and his vision went away very quick the last year of his life. who is taking care of your fil?

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very sorry to hear this, I have been in a similar situation for a family member and it's very hard to say the least. I still remember the Dr saying "it's just", like it was suddenly a better diagnosis, I mean sure it's better to other situations but losing your vision is awful. And it changes everything, you just have to be strong for them (fortunately it was possible to be there directly, so this sounds really difficult for you and your family).

I know you mentioned he's in a tough situation (not in the states etc./limited Dr's due to this), is there any chance they could still allow him to keep some vision? I'm just saying that, because if there's any chance for a 2nd opinion it might be worth it if he's going to lose his vision regardless. I know you mentioned one eye being very blurry but even something is better if possible. And again very sorry for the news.

Other than his wife, did he have more family there? I am just stating that because there is a huge adjustment regardless, and make sure when you talk to him you try to remain strong. Again, very sorry to see this update.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Damn man, sorry to hear that as well, that's awful.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

16. Miracle

Miracle Member

I'm very very sorry to hear that. Have you tried to reach to other doctors for a second opinion, just in case there is still something that could be done?

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that happened. I worry about this with my moms glaucoma too

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  18. Pringles

Pringles Member

Just thinking out loud here; but since health care is cost-prohibitive here in the U.S., does this make us less adequate to handle these types of situations even if our hospitals are well equipped?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

On Coronavirus, some thoughts from the largest data set out of China.

0.9% mortality for people without pre-existing conditions (like heart disease or diabetes or cancer).

0.2% mortality for people 40 and younger (so should reassure most of y'all here. More iffy for me at about 50.) So if you're under 40, this really is a lot like a bad influenza.

More deadly for men (2.6%) than women overall (1.7%), if I'm recalling the numbers correctly. All these numbers are inflated by those over 70 years old who really have fairly high mortality rate when catching this virus.

I think all we can do is slow it down, which helps the medical system prepare. I keep thinking that the 1918 spanish flu (in a much less travel-happy world) infected over 98% of the world's population. We know that via genetics, b/c you can see evidence of antibody development in humans today. (Or that's my understanding.)

So it's getting loose and hopefully we can slow it down and protect the most vulnerable (sick and elderly) for as long as possible. Washing hands and thinking carefully about what you touch are the biggest factors, medical folks say. I just treating myself to buying a coffee drink out. So barista prepares drink. Then I think about the half-and-half container, and so on, and so on. Thinking maybe I can just stick to the coffee I brew at home.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hadn't thought about this. If roughly 20% of those who catch this might need hospitalization, I was thinking we just won't have room for everyone. I never thought about how many bankruptcies it could cause. Yikes. Lot of people will probably just stay home and do their best, especially if the hospitals get really crowded.

robbie380 likes this.