1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. basketballholic

Yeah............there's NOBODY ELSE out there that can set a pick, dive to the rim, catch the ball in air, and cram it down.....

GIVE>ME>A>BREAK

2. basketballholic

One game does not define a series. Anybody can beat anybody in the NBA in a single game. Does not equate to best of 4. More stupidity on your part. Get back to me when the Clippers upset the Warriors in the series. Otherwise...don't.

#742 basketballholic, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. basketballholic

No, I'm not kidding you. Iggy was not off the bench in the playoffs. He was the starter and would have been starting those games against us. He was/is very important to them defensively. You haven't even figured out that the Warriors conserve their regular season minutes and hide their playoff schemes by running out multiple bigs in the regular season. And then in the playoffs they run out single big and small ball lineups. You need to catch up. That's only been going on for several years now.

4. spark06

spark06 Member

I never said he was retired for two. I said Holic's logic would suggest both Rocket championships are linked to the fact that Jordan retired for a full season. He's on some butterfly effect gibberish. Lol.

He's wrong about the Cavaliers championship being tainted. It literally goes down as one of the greatest of all-time.

5. basketballholic

I didn't say it was unjust. I said it tainted the series, changed it completely. And the point was in regards to Tristan not being a shooting center and them still winning the championship.

I did not even mention that that was BEFORE KD. K?

You have to have a 3-point shooting center to beat this bunch if they are healthy. You have to occupy their defenders on the perimeter and then repeatedly iso up Curry (and KD) and make him work defensively WITHOUT HELP because the help has to be occupied faceguarding deadly shooters. That's how you beat these guys.

6. basketballholic

And I said that your twisted logic is not my logic. Very clear on that point.

I happen to believe we would've have beaten the Bulls with MJ anyways. I think those two teams were spectacular.

7. spark06

spark06 Member

So lemme get this straight, the Rockets' first championship isn't tainted because of a season-long Michael Jordan absence, yet the Cavs championship is tainted because of a single game Draymond Green absence? LOLLLL.

#747 spark06, Apr 16, 2019
    Patience, RudyTBag and topfive like this.
  8. basketballholic

Yes, that was in season, in the series. MJ was never a part of those teams. And like I said I personally think we would've beaten them anyways. So I don't view our championships as tainted. Guys getting hurt during the season......corrupt officiating.....key disqualifications....during the series...those are things that taint victories and championships. I listed them above.

You're choosing to attempt to pick me apart on minutia. It's not working. And won't work. I've been very clear answering this crap.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay, what about last year? The Rockets, without a 3-point shooting center, were poised to take down the Warriors. I doubt you'd find anyone outside of the Bay Area who thinks the Rockets wouldn't have finished the job had CP3 not tweaked his hammy. We were legitimately the better team in that series.

And of course you'll say, "But the Warriors won the series, didn't they? Do your homework! Make a spreadsheet!" But if you discount CP3's injury in explaining why the Warriors won, then you have to give up on your inane claim that Draymond's one-game suspension handed a title to the Cavs.

ElDobleK, YOLO and spark06 like this.
  10. spark06

spark06 Member

So the Rockets would've beaten the Bulls with or without Jordan, but the Cavs could never beat the Warriors if they had Draymond!....Oh wait! LOL!!!! Do you realize how stupid this sounds? Jordan isn't the X factor....but Draymond was! You are reaching so hard its cringeworthy.

#750 spark06, Apr 16, 2019
    topfive likes this.
  11. basketballholic

I've already answered this repeatedly.

We had the formula. We proved the formula. The formula is a small ball 4/5 combination that can both defend switches and shoot the 3. That's how we were beating them. We were not beating them running Capela out there. We were beating them when he sat down in favor of PJ/Trevor at the 4/5.

So this season, we took the formula, threw it in the trashcan, and we're determined to win this thing WITHOUT a center that shoots 3's. But also WITHOUT a center that can effectively switch onto their playmakers over a 7-game series. Our bigs may survive a possession...or a few possessions defending their playmakers. But they WILL NOT survive a 7-game series. And unfortunately we did not replace either Trevor or Luc. And we really needed to add a third 4/5 shooting switch defender alongside the two others we had to go with PJ for depth reasons.

Do your own spreadsheet. I've already done them and analyzed the series. All it did was reprove what I already knew at that time. Just remember when you do your spreadsheet DO NOT DISCOUNT Iggy being gone from them either.

So you could make a case that their win was tainted. But it's not a set case. Because they were also without Iggy. And he was very important to their defensive scheme against us. It's a matter of we'll never know. Because it didn't happen. But it's not tainted one way.

12. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude you know that's not all he does and that it is not as easy as it sounds.

If it was that easy Morey would not have resigned him.

the fact that you cannot even acknowledge that's kind has a very high basketball IQ shows how biased you are to prove a point, it's the difference between Noel signing for 2 million on Capela getting 90 million.

topfive, YOLO and spark06 like this.
  13. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

14. basketballholic

What he does is not rebound effectively when he's switched onto the perimeter. K? We had to modify our defense for that reason this whole durn season. That is not going to work against the Warriors. They're going to kill us with 3's if we don't switch. And then they're gonna kill us on the boards when we do switch. Capela is slower than last year and he wasn't quick enough then to match up with the Warriors over a 7-game series. And we've lost our 4/5 supplants to use our own death ball lineups. Our only shot against them is for one of their primary guys (not Cuz) to go down with injury.

15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YOU>ARE>A>CLOWN
    NOBODY>RESPECTS>YOUR>TAKES
    STOP>POSTING>SO>MUCH

lnchan, biff17, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  16. Voltik

Voltik Member

Capela isn’t or was ever the problem on our team against GSW or any other team. Capela has always been at least decent on the perimeter and our best shot blocker and rebounder. The real problem we have had this year is the lack of length when losing Ariza and Luc for rebounding and switching. In our switch heavy defense it is the full team responsibility to rebound, as it was even last year. Instead of blaming Capela, blame everyone else who doesn’t box out their man. Game 1 the team was focused on this and outrebounded the bigger Jazz team. You have to mitigate weaknesss in every system or philosophy, even the Warriors have to mitigate weaknesses with us.

17. basketballholic

Capela is not the problem nor the solution. He's the third (or fourth since he didn't meet his incentives) highest player on the roster and he's not a difference-maker. He has to sit for us to beat the Warriors. I'm not saying he's a negative on the roster. I'm not saying he isn't deserving of plenty of regular season minutes. I'm not saying he shouldn't play at all against the Warriors. I am saying he can't be in the top 6 in the rotation and us beat the Warriors. I am saying he's a luxury, a minute-eater, and we are paying a luxury salary to have him on the roster as a luxury when we have other needs to fill.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

What does any of that have to do with the fact you are claiming all Capela does is screen and dunk and totally ignore the fact that not anyone can do it as well as he does or the fact that not anyone has his high basketball IQ.

And then you claim what he can't do but don't acknowledge there is no player in the NBA that can do what you claim we need him to do.

Once again you make no sense.

spark06 likes this.
  19. basketballholic

No. I don't acknowledge that. It's not reality. There's plenty of guys in the NBA that can screen and dunk as well or better than Capela. And if on our roster playing alongside Harden/Paul they'd prove that to you. But you're so linear you can't possibly consider anything besides a typed number.

Capela has an average basketball iq. He does not have a high basketball iq. He would make a great soldier though. Because he's very good at following orders/directions. Just don't ask him to process on the fly. Won't work. He has his limitations.

20. Voltik

Voltik Member

When GSW ran small ball lineups last year, we had Capela playing the 5 against Green. We screen with another player with Harden and now it’s Green vs Harden/Capela for lobs or floaters or rebounds. Capela can still have positive impact both offensively and defensively with their small ball lineups by taking Green away from perimeter switches and forcing him to guard Capela and Harden near the rim. Albeit, Green is very good in gaurding both guys, it’s still very difficult.

On the defensive end, Capela is decent at worst on an island with Curry. Capela on Draymond is also either positive or neutral while providing defensive rebounding and shot blocking.