1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Nancy Pelosi Have A Sexism Problem Running For President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 12, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I personally think Elizabeth Warren is whinny. I don't think that about Hillary Clinton. Does that mke me sexist? There are male politicians I feel are whinny. People think Buttigieg is too polished and squirmy for lack of a better term. What's the difference between having a bias a personality issue with a woman?

Pelosi couldn't win a national election because of politics. I don't think many have personality issues with her other than the usual associated with liberals.

Hilary won the popular vote, I think the sexism issue this go round is largely exaggerated

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

All women have a sexism problem.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sexism would be the least of Pelosi's concerns .... She's hated by independents just as much as she is hated by the GOP.

Her comments on ACA alone would sink her campaign - We have to sign it to know what's in it.

King1 likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So Mrs Clinton had a sexism four years ago?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nancy has a sexy problem.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There will be a woman VP after this year's elections, regardless of who wins, so I don't think we have a problem. I guess we'll see how they're received. My guess is better than Pence.

7. JuanValdez

Doubters talk about it like it's a thing, a force unto itself that can have measurable (if hard to actually measure) impacts. Like you can say sexism is the thing that caused a politician to lose. I'd say it's not a thing unto itself, it's an environment, an atmosphere. It's a dynamic that interacts with everything else. It's like home court advantage -- the home team has got a little edge, but it's hard to say who specifically, in what way, and how much. And, it's not that you can't go win a road game, teams do it all the time, but you have to overcome the home court advantage. Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, and every other woman runs as the visiting team. If they score more points than their opponent, they win, but it's incrementally harder to score the points.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's fair. That being said there is a limit on what can be done. There are very few people who are gonna stand up and say I'm never voting for a woman, black, jew, etc. There are some who probably don't realize they are biased andwould never vote for people for these reasons, but I feel we are at a limit of actions to change this.

The problem I have with the Elizabeth Warren analysis is that some are extrapolating sexism from people's personality dislikes about her

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

She would have dumbassism.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yes she did.

FranchiseBlade and FrontRunner like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

She won the popular vote. Hindsight she was a bad candidate.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The largest problem isn't people saying "I won't vote for a woman" and it isn't people that dislike women...... it is people that have a bias that colors their opinions and views and are not aware of it. There is a lot of research on the issue and gender discrimination is likely the largest and most pervasive bias in society and still isn't close to being adequately addressed in large part because it is so incredibly ingrained and pervasive.

jiggyfly, FranchiseBlade and subtomic like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think it's ridiculous that people think likability is a dog whistle

Pat Buchanan isn't likeable. Newton Gingrich isn't likeable. They embody lot of what people like about Trump but they never did well in presidential politics because people don't like them

14. Nook

Nook Member

So? She won the popular vote over a man that was arguably the worst candidate in 30-40 years or more.

Winning the popular vote does not mean that she did not and does not face discrimination.

https://www.pe.com/2019/02/22/study...-to-face-bias-based-on-leadership-looks-more/

“The effect of the sex of a president on approval is very dramatic,” Miguel Carreras, an assistant professor of political science at UCR, said in a news release. “As researchers, we weren’t necessarily expecting such a large effect.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51751915

Around 39% of people in the US, which is yet to have a female president, thought men made better leaders.

https://www.usnews.com/news/electio...omen-still-face-hurdles-in-running-for-office

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I used to believe that as well......... but not anymore. We all are influenced by bias and in my opinion women suffer greatly, especially in the area of power and the social dynamics around it. It is better than it was 30 years ago, but it is far from equal.

https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/Women_in_Politics.pdf

16. JuanValdez

I'm not a woman, but I'm not asking anything at all be done about it. I would just like for people to be humble and introspective, and recognize and admit that the way they perceive the world is colored by biases of all kinds. That's it, at least insofar as elections go. It's just frustrating to have to argue whether sexism even exists or not just because some people are afraid there might be implications to admitting that it does.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Are you buying into the notion that Trump will dump Pence for Nikki Haley ? - Regardless of who wins ?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Nook

The reason I mentioned Pelosi is because I think people consider her tough and people who are in tune with her politics would not criticize her for not being leader like because she is a woman

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think the implicit bias is rapidly disappearing since Hillary was nominated...MAYBE since Palin was chosen as a running mate but she was a nut job. But yeah people were frustrated because they wanted the “right” woman to be the next president, not just any. So while Hillary lost I think she was a competent enough figure to make future candidates a little more comfortable.

I was a full-blown Amy supporter but I disliked Warren’s personality, FWIW

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Buttigieg breaks a lot of gay Male stereotypes. That being said a man who is considered feminine would probably have just as much of problem as women do in terms of leadership qualities