1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would it be better to split the country?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 14, 2018.

?

Would it be best to split America into two separate countries and create an American Union (aka EU)

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

74.1%
  3. Not Sure / Undecided

3.7%
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

i know this is probably a tongue in cheek response because this is a really dumb thread to start with but I have to admit this post made me laugh a bit at the differences here. You have a conservative advocating for military takeover of the liberal states instead of just trying to create your own self-sustaining successful economy. makes sense

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What an absurd idea. I would like some serious electoral reform, though. Dump the Electoral college, which should have happened long ago, and I'm still debating whether to require a plurality to win, or having a runoff between the two top vote getters if there isn't a majority winner, with a 2nd round of voting in those cases. I would also place strong limits on campaign contributions and require all contributions to be public knowledge immediately. Add to that reform to prevent the sophisticated gerrymandering we are seeing today, perhaps with the boundaries decided by a bipartisan commission. One last thing - I would require all presidential and vice-presidential candidates (still debating whether to include congressional candidates in this) to completely divulge their tax returns.

That would all be a start. Splitting the country is nonsense.

4. biina

biina Member

Dont ask them to do the impossible. They can only live off the productivity of the liberals they hate so much

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]
    This whole thread is cringe worthy but this response is really funny.

8. biina

biina Member

it's as funny as the quality of life in those deep red states

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about fear or loathing but a reality that the values of two sides are so far apart that it's time to divorce and be friends. Just like a bad marriage, why force two people who fundamentally believe in the opposite on nearly every issue to be one nation?

Instead, let's be an American Union - where we share a commonality and commerce like an EU, with one currency, but can have different laws that align with the prevailing values.

This way abortion can be illegal in certain American nations and legal in others. We can have different immigration policies. Different gun laws. Different environmental laws. And a region could even decide to have its own trade agreements.

The benefits would be that the toxicity would disappear. The poison would be gone as each side would have what it wants and you might actually see a greater cultural bond that we've seen in 20 years.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think you are having an emotional response here but if you think about it more practically it actually would solve a lot of our political problems

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Sure NyC and State can keep their Trump then...

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sure but not as president.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe we shouldn't have had a civil war. I guess the south will rise again.

14. jcf

jcf Member

Aren't you really just advocating for increased power resting with the States and less with the federal government?

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm in favor. One country for you two (Koniuji Island, Alaska) and another for the rest of us.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ok.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No because it would eliminate the Supreme Court and Congress and replace it will with an EU style representations. We would be able to have different presidents and congressional representation and different courts.

This is Debate and Discussion - if you are so closed minded that you can't engage in a discussion about an idea without getting angry or emotional, stick to the GARM.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not really a geographical divide.

There are strong genetic and physiological underpinnings as to what makes us lean "conservative" or "liberal". iirc, those genetic factors have a ~40% correlation. Segregation throughout history is one of the more illiberal actions carried out in the name of peace.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There are no GENETIC underpinnings, it is 100percent environmental.

DD

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

LOL, I'm not angry or emotional. I was being sarcastic because the notion of splitting the country is unbelievably moronic.

It's an even stupider idea than Texas seceding and becoming it's own country.