1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Women run over and killed by Self Driving Uber car

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 19, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The tech is obviously flawed if it didn't even attempt to break (Which it didn't). The car was also going faster than the posted speed mind you, a computer breaking the law.

I heard that Uber's tech is not as good as Google's but this is going to set back testing for at least a year.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What's that self rotating piston on the roof?

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

shitty dashcams don't have nearly the dynamic range a human eye does. You cannot judge what a person can see. The "driver" wasn't even looking at the road. If it is true the car never hit the brakes and was speeding there is some serious culpability on the car.

The cyclist had no lights I can see but the criticism about not at a crosswalk is bogus as there was no crosswalk in 100 feet I can see. So in Texas she wouldn't be jaywalking. Walking a bike as a pedestrian is actually a safer move.

Just changing the speed of the car and if the brakes were hit the cyclist could have lived.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

this is true... we can't really tell what was actual the lighting environment with just the dashcams video

as far as speeding, I'm guessing that's under human control... I don't think there is a system that limit speed to the posted limit at this time, though it could (there is a danger in that also)

5. Buck Turgidson

I was talking to fighter pilot flyboy cousin yesterday, and he agreed with me, all we are waiting on is an electric engine with enough oooomph and torque to haul proper trailers. We're all in and we're ready, just waiting.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I am confused: is that a fat woman or a fat man?

Am I supposed to be confused; isn’t that the point?

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

fat tranny

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The pedestrian exercised very poor judgment. However, the car's LIDAR should have definitely detected that pedestrian in time for the car to either avoid her or slow down enough to greatly reduce the risk of death. Perhaps it did, and the other sensors/tech responsible for actually applying the brakes or steering out of the way didn't do their job. In any case, there's a clear software and/or hardware engineering defect here. The criticism directed at Uber is warranted.

I think it would have been very difficult for a human driver to avoid that collision.

I'm in favor of self-driving cars and believe that eventually they'll dramatically reduce injuries and fatalities. However, I have concerns about Uber being in that business...given the company's shady track record. It wouldn't surprise me if they cut a few corners safety-wise.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is cause for concern why the car couldn't see her, but I don't think the car or driver are at fault, despite both of them not working ideally.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

In what way.