1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Wojbomb) Rockets talking to several Eastern conference teams about Capela trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 2, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zach Lowe:

• Our Adrian Wojnarowski blew the doors off the Clint Capela situation just before halftime of the Super Bowl. Houston's on-again, off-again, usually-on willingness to part with Capela is fascinating. The Rockets are 15th in points allowed per possession and 22nd in defensive rebounding. They appear to need a rim-protecting center.

As Woj reported, they have telegraphed a desire for another wing -- either directly for Capela, or using assets they get for him.

The Hawks are among the teams who have expressed interest in Capela, per Woj. They have talked to several teams about centers. Some of those teams have inquired about John Collins, sources say, thinking the Hawks might be worried about extension talks with Collins in the offseason.

Even if those teams are right, the Hawks have shown no interest in dealing Collins on any of the general terms bandied about, sources say. It will be interesting to see how Collins' game evolves if Atlanta really commits to a paint-bound center. (They of course have paired Collins with such players a lot over his career, but none considered potential long-term pillars.) He has extended his range and rounded out his game, but still looks most comfortable on offense as Trae Young's rim-rattling pick-and-roll partner.

Anyway, I assume Houston has an in on a center somewhere. Non-shooting centers are not hard to find.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Then why does he never get on the court?

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If we trade CC to Atlanta without Hunter and or Collins being involved even if it's to a third team, this was completely about saving money. I understand why others say CC isn't worth that. The Hawks are bad. I don't give a damn about their overvalued players on a team with 13 wins. They haven't proven anything and apparently they think Trae Young is a star. If he's a star every other player on that roster must be TERRIBLE. So give them up for a center who started on a team that won 65 games.

everyday eddie and J Sizzle like this.
  4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

yep n i keep telling this story. when i had a feeling was as early as game one of last year when tillman gave harden his mvp trophy n he was like yea we gonna win 65 or have a better season...alll this ****. thats after losing ariza n luc n not replacing them. on everything i turnt to my brother at tge game n wqs like damn im getting bad vibes from tillman. i was prayering it was just a rookie owner not knowing how hard winning was. but now i know for sure he gonna be a bad owner smh. we still could win. like the cowboys with jerry jones. but its gonna be hard with his meddling

everyday eddie, jacoby and Imanimal like this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That is the only guarantee. We will save some money while losing our only legit tall player. Fun times for these Rockets.

6. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

A trade has to happen, Clint knows and he a sensitive guy i bet lol

BigShasta likes this.
  7. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Take with a grain of salt FWIW. I have an insider in the Wizards org and he says we are trading Capela for Bertans and Thomas Bryant

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If a deal isn't made for some of Atlanta's top talent (Hunter, Huerter, Collins, etc)

I would definitely turn my attention to the Wizards... this type of deal may (or should) take draft picks from our end to theirs in order to make sense, but I don't see how it doesn't benefit both teams.

upload_2020-2-3_9-22-19.png

upload_2020-2-3_9-29-44.png

Trade for Luke Kornet with the Chriss Trade Exception and we should be pretty solid for our playoff run. We're already leaning toward a more all offense / no defense contender so why not just become the full blown 2006 Phoenix Suns roster.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Makes sense. I support this trade even with Bryant out with a foot injury.

10. steddinotayto

We're not getting Rui. We have a better shot at Troy Brown than Rui.

11. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

They are trying to trade the wrong guy. Should be trying to get 3 good players for James Harden.
    We don’t have a rim protector now I hate the small ball line up.

mastan likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Gross. Give me Rui or give me death.

joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

My preference obviously would be Rui over Bryant but I could live with having either.

Rui may be a long shot, I agree, but it's worth it to start high and work your way down with the Wiz.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Capela is worth the 9th pick of the 2019 draft. I don't like this mindset. He's averaging 14-14 with 2 Blocks and shines on a defense on a team that refuses to pay a defensive coordinator that is above average. Elston Turner sucks, he's literally useless but BZD hurt tilman's feelings.

15. steddinotayto

If that's the case we should start with Beal lol jk jk. I understand the reasoning behind Rui but if we can finagle a package of Bryant/Bertans/Brown for a center with offensive limitations and a tendency to shrink at the worst possible of times I'm all for it. That gives us a starting center that's shooting 34% from 3, a backup PF that can hit like 50% of his 3s and another defensive wing player.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Collins was suspended & the Hawks were 4-21 without him. They have 5 guys 22 or younger playing 25+ mins a game & outside of that the roster is horrible. No quality veterans on that team.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Capela really has plantar fasciitis like Iko says, that is gonna make it tough to really get value for Clint.

joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To keep other teams' interest on Capela and not on Hartenstein. Post-trade, Hartenstein gets more PT?

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Makes sense.

Most importantly, it saves Tilman money.

But it also gives us a shooter and a cheaper Capela replacement.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Exactly. Bertans is going to get overpaid. If we give up CC for him, don't expect him to be here long term. This is a terrible trade.

Rudyc281 likes this.