1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Paul George traded to Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Jul 6, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

But what about Steven Adams trades?

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Get rid of the max contract, while keeping the cap and tax. Allow teams to void contracts in the event of malfeasance like Kawhi's 'injury' in San Antonio. Public shaming....I'm sure people can come up with other ideas.

A big problem is that the league doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Is this a joke? I so hope this is real.
    Will have to create a hastily made OKC tourism video.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It is a massive win for OKC. Their return is enormous. They were not winning anything with George and Westbrook. Now they can move Adams and Westbrook for good returns as well.

5. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Sometimes you gotta know when to cash out

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So how does the Clippers cap situation look like? Do they still have room to sign players or is it just min guys to round out the roster?

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it’s a serious return, but I’d personally prefer what the Pels got for Davis. Butler and co in a weakened East should keep the Miami pick from being a high lotto pick, and PG and Kawhi should keep the Clippers in the playoffs even with injuries throughout the draft pick term... as opposed to the Lakers and an aging LeBron.

roslolian likes this.
  8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Poor Shai. from LA to OKC. Have fun with all the...corn?

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Seattle still salty

Jake Tower, buffalobills!!! and B-Bob like this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

First things first... I suppose we all have to get used to the NBA reality that stars are free agents even when they’re not. It is what it is.

As a person, PG was good to OKC (most notably, his generosity with the youth of our community). (1/3)

Being a fan is nothing but a collection of memories, and as a player, PG gave us some great ones (47 pts against Brooklyn, the Utah 25-pt playoff comeback, the Philly 4-pt play all come to mind). My inclination right now is to wish him well & move on. (2/3)

The team obviously moves into a new chapter, & PG may ultimately be our Herschel Walker (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade …). In the meantime, I’m Thunder till I die & you cannot pummel out of me the gratitude I will always have that OKC gets to be a part of this wild ride. (3/3) #ThunderUp

buffalobills!!! and B-Bob like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It is just awful for the NBA that guys can demand trades 1 year into a long term deal.

“Player empowerment” is just so beyond stupid at this point

Gray_Jay and buffalobills!!! like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

OKC didn't have to trade him, however this is one of those perfect storm cases. OKC has been paying tax for a couple of years and has nothing to show for it. I think ownership has finally realized that having WB around is not going to get them anywhere and they are selling extremely high on their assets.

I'm sure OKC would rather keep trying to compete, but ownership is probably ready to blow it up.

buffalobills!!! and roslolian like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, forget Kyrie/Durant "Hey, we're gonna be free agents in 2019. What are you thinkin'? Wanna team up? New York? Knicks or Nets?"
    LerBon/Rich Paul got AD out with 2 years remaining
    Kawhi got PG out with 3 years remaining (a year removed from signing max deal)

But both Pelicans/Thunder got a haul so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jake Tower and B-Bob like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...sure. They got a good haul. That’s fine and good.

But they didn’t want to trade him. He demanded a trade. He had zero leverage and they said “ok Paul sounds good”. It’s just bad for the NBA. You can’t build a team anymore. You just have to hope that players decide you’re worthy. Obviously players deserve some sort of leverage, but I think it’s swung wayyyyyy out of balance now.

Gray_Jay and buffalobills!!! like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

OKC ok'd it. If they were serious about keeping PG they could have done it as he is just 1 yr into his deal. OKC is just making PG into a scapegoat they probably got tired of paying all that tax.

At least Houston is upfront about LTS. OKC apparently cant handle Luxury Tax but pretended they can which is ridiculous considering how high their attendance is.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cmon bruh PG has no leverage even if he demanded a trade with just 1 yr on his deal what can he really do if OKC doesnt trade him? Will he sulk for 3 years and destroy his stock and endorsements? Nike wont sponsor him and OKC can withhold his salary if he refuses to play.

OKC wanted him gone otherwise it wouldnt have happened.

adoo and buffalobills!!! like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

B-Bob likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paul George Had 'Little Bit Of Buyer's Remorse' Over Decision To Re-Sign With Thunder

Paul George had "a little bit of buyer's remorse from the deal he signed last year" with the Oklahoma City Thunder, reports Shams Charania.

George re-signed with the Thunder on a four-year, $137 million deal with a player option for Year 4. George didn't take any free agency meetings last offseason.

While George had been linked with the Los Angeles Lakers both in 2017 and 2018, he didn't grant a meeting with them in free agency.

This offseason, George approached the Thunder about a trade to the Los Angeles Clippers following a recruitment pitch from Kawhi Leonard.