1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I believe CP moved his family back to LA.

amaru likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Deuce likes this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Man, the words coming out of his mouth sound somewhat enthusiastic, but the look in his eyes says, "What the f$#k went so horribly awry to land me here at this point in my career?"

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Not enough places in Houston to spend 160 million dollars.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CP knows the business. My take is, he does not want to be there, BUT he needs to play well to make himself easier to trade. He knows he is just idling right now. And probably hopes to get to Miami or LA.

As a competitor and this late in his career, it has to suck being in the OKC situation. But they'll move him eventually.

malakas, Lawlruschang, amaru and 2 others like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He's always had that pouty look, though.

RKREBORN, malakas, RasaqBoi and 2 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

This.

He is ultimately going to go to a situation where he can compete for a title as a 6th man of as a starter with a smaller load. He has made it clear he doesn't want to retire without a title in college and in the NBA.

Let's hope he ends up in Miami because the last thing I want is him to be bought out and end up with the Lakers or the Clippers.

It became popular to criticize him, but it isn't a coincidence that the Rockets greatly improved once he joined the Rockets. While it is true he struggled to break players down off the dribble last year, he is still an elite defensive point guard that can switch as well as anyone, he is an elite passer and controls the tempo very well and if he is less injured, he is still a very good and efficient shooter. He can be the difference in a 7 game series for sure.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, it makes absolutely ZERO sense for them to hang on to him. He's not a big-enough star anymore to be a draw, even if he manages to stay healthy. But that contract. doe; even the Heat, who desperately want CP3 and could actually use him, want to be compensated for taking him on. Not sure what the Thunder can get in return, which sucks for them.

And for the record, I would have preferred a guaranteed-healthy CP3 who is on the same page as Harden over Westbrook. Especially because of continuity reasons. But that ship already sailed.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I would do it again.

The Rockets were an injury to Paul away from winning the title and won 65 games.

The Rockets also got Westbrook out of it as well.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't see any way he is bought out of that monster contract. Just too much money. The Miami path looks legit. It is all about haggling over the price of the trade. If CP3 is healthy and starts off the season well, that will really help.

amaru and topfive like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The question is how big a cut would Paul give if he does get moved early? Would he give up $20,000,000? Would the Thunder be willing to take the dead cap space if he gave up $25,000,000?

What if a dysfunctional franchise like the Knicks decide to jump in at the insistence of Dolan?

I agree the Heat situation is the most likely scenario but time will tell.

Lawlruschang and amaru like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CP, being the head of the players union, just strikes me as a guy that would not want to *give up cash.* If he thought he would ROT in OKC for 3 more years he *might* consider it...but probably knows a trade is more likely.

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this as well....... you have competing sentiments in his own head..... wants to keep his money and his ethics as head of the players union.... but also really really wants to win a title and be contributor and he knows that window is closing quickly. By the time his contract is up, I am not sure he contributes at all.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This. That was arguably the greatest Rockets team of all time. No I’m not ******** on Dream or our championship teams. But that 65 win team was phenomenal. Better refereeing or a healthy Paul and the city has another ring. You do that trade every single time.

16. amaru

amaru Member

In the type of role you described, CP3 can be an absolute force. If he's your back up PG, you have an elite PG rotation.

17. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Lol @ cp3 as a backup PG

18. amaru

amaru Member

With that contract, it's not happening. Ideally, you'd have a kick-ass back up guard and they would split time like Lowry and Brooks did back in the day.

Lawlruschang and Nook like this.
  19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The problem is that he is getting $40mill per year.

With the current CBA it is quite difficult to be a 6th man, or a starter who is carried. You're relying on a team having a star level player getting paid bench money.

Tough spot to be in!

Buyout is his best chance for a title.
    160 mill reasons not to take one!

Nook likes this.