1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the NBA world turned upside down, Thank God for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 29, 2001.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If anyone would have told me ten years ago that out of the first four players in the NBA draft none would come from the NCAA I would have laughed proclaimed them to be total idiots. My how things change.

No longer do we see teams draft and keep the same players until the end of their careers. Super Stars are now passed around like trading cards. The World Champion L.A. Lakers are a team full of players drafted by other teams including their MVP Shaq. We have just recently seen Jason Kidd sent to his third home in New Jersey. His replacement in Phoenix, Stephon Marbury is on his third home. Jason Williams was just traded for Mike Bibby, Shareef Abdul Raheem was traded for a draft pick and Elton Brand was traded for a high school kid all in the same week! The top free agent in the league Chris Webber is expected to find his way to a fourth home sometimes next month. Certainly there has been big name players move to new cities in the past but nothing like we are seeing today. Kareem Abdul Jabar was traded from the Bucks to the Lakers. A few years later Elvan Hayes was traded from the Rockets to the Bullets and back to the Rockets. In the early 80s Moses Malone packed his bags and went to Philly but these were blockbuster trades that happened over a period of years. Rarely have we seen such a mass of top line talents move from one team to another in such a short period of time.

Hopefully the Rockets have a core of top line young talent that will remain in Houston for the rest of the decade. Three players that have wore nothing but Rockets colors and a fourth that was acquired at a very early age. Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobely, Eddie Griffin and Mo Taylor make up what is one of the youngest and one of the most exiting quadruplets of talent in the NBA.

It appears that Les, Rudy and CD have every intention of keeping this group together for the long haul and allowing them to mature together. Imagine living in Chicago, Phoenix or New Jersey and not knowing who you were going to cheer for from one season to the next. In today’s NBA they appear to be a rare breed.

I for one am excited knowing that I will get a chance to watch these four grow into a perennial play-off team and someday a champion. The journey is the reward and for many teams trying for the quick fix they miss out on the journey and almost never become champions. Makes me glad to be a Rocket fan.

Just my 2 cents

------------------

2. ScreamingRocketJet

Great post!

I agree 100%...

------------------

3. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Yes, we are very lucky indeed.

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I like loyalty in the money-hungry business of pro-sports. I think that what the Rockets have done in showing loyalty to their high profile players over the years serves to provide assurances to the young core!

------------------

5. PhiSlammaJamma

And at the same time we are orchestrating one of the great experiments in the history of basketball. We have collected a Clipper, a Net, and a Grizzlie... and will be trying to win the West with all three of them. How strange is it to think of that....and we may just get it done.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

....and a Rocket.

We must not forget Mobley.

------------------
    Keep Mo Ta & now we have Ta Mo

7. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Great Post. That is exactly why I think the rockets need to resign Dream for the final 2 years of his career.

------------------
    One of the newest members of the New Jersey Nets fan club.

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

That is BS. MoT did play for the Clips but Steve and Griff are Rockets. They never laced it up for the Grizz or NETS. oH, And we will win the West.

------------------
    "How close were you to her? Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left son." - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS