1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Keuchel and McCullers return to form?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Aug 2, 2017.

?

How worried are you about our top 2 starters for the playoffs,

1. Very worried

59 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Kinda worried

51 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. We good breh

16 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Lance in the rotation likely means Peacock isn't. I don't know how they have that conversation with Brad considering the season he's had. He's more than earned it. IMO, McCullers doesn't make the ALDS roster, Morton and Peacock are 3/4 and McHugh out of the pen. Though, what I think is actually going to happen is Peacock out of the pen with McHugh and Morton the 3/4, They can leave Lance out for the ALDS and have him spend the next 2 weeks prepping as a reliever for the ALCS.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Peacock is 3rd starter. McCullers only has a shot at starting 4th game. Even then, whether he starts or not won't matter much as Hinch probably leaves him in 3 at the most.

Daddy Long Legs and DudeWah like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I certainly have no insight to what the brass will do, but it seems to me that the playoffs has to be about winning games above all else. That said, how many times have I heard that guys like consistent roles? If Peacock is going to the pen, they should have eased him back into that role weeks ago.

As far as LMJ goes, I wouldn't start him in the playoffs, period. Its been too long since he has shown he can thrive there.

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

exactly. the 4th spot is the only one in question right now. Pretty sure the first 3 in the rotation are 1 verlander 2 keuchel 3 peacock.

ultimately I do think we go with lance over morton or mccugh

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So since McHugh, Morton, and LMJ have been used as starters lately, two of the three should be left off playoff roster? While I agree Peacock will start, Astros just aren't going to leave a starter off the roster because his role will change (i.e. Astros will value better pitcher more than keeping a pitcher in the same role). Peacock will start because he's the better pitcher.

Whichever starters come in relief will be allowed time to warm up like a starter and start at a the beginning of an inning. If need be, Astros will use a disposable reliever to give relief starter time to warm up after game starter.

#105 Joe Joe, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Astros go all out in games 1-3. As such, I'm thinking at least one of Morton and McHugh (if not both) will not be available for Game 4 (if needed).

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Who said McHugh and Morton shouldn't be on the roster?

8. Buck Turgidson

I would be really tempted to start Morton in Game 3 with Peacock (since he has experience at this) ready to go if trouble surfaces.. Tandem-style. I'd do the same with the Micks the first time you needed it.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

So lance is not returning to form this year

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seems complicated.

Right now, Peacock and Morton are better starters than either of LMJ or McHugh.

They should get games 3/4 with the others available if one of them gets rocked early.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For clarity, you are in favor of Morton in gm4 over Verlander on short rest?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn’t say that.

Series stipulations should always dictate if you have to throw a pitcher on short rest.

Only situation I see that happening is being down 1-2.

If they’re up 2-1, I would be fine with Morton game 4 and full rest Verlander for game 5 if needed.

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

It doesn't matter who is #4 when we're winning in 3.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At least one a them has.

No clue how his arm will hold up next season, or if he will be an Astro beyond that, but the guy we are seeing right now is the Cy Young winner. Dude is a postseason stud, and you can't possibly put enough value on that.

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

#game4 #believdat

16. Daddy Long Legs

Im on board 100%

This team inspires so much trust. Something special is happening in houston sports right now. These astros man...

mikol13 likes this.
  17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Hey, no need to slander the Irish like that! :D

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Dallas Keuchel is the first pitcher since atleast 1912 to go 4-0 with a sub 1.00 era in his first 4 postseason starts. Needless to say this is beyond Andy Pettitte postseason greatness

19. AvocadosToast

AvocadosToast Member

[​IMG]

NOT ENOUGH TOAST

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

[​IMG]