1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Keuchel and McCullers return to form?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Aug 2, 2017.

?

How worried are you about our top 2 starters for the playoffs,

1. Very worried

59 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Kinda worried

51 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. We good breh

16 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Just throwing something out there, and I could be way off base here, but I think there is a chance when/if McCullers comes back, he ends up in the bullpen for the playoffs. Obviously, the situation with the rotation and bullpen's performance is pretty fluid. But if by chance Harris doesn't come back and others don't step up, AND if McHugh, Morton and Peacock keep performing well, AND if McCullers is not back in time to get any minor league rehab starts in before their seasons end...............................................

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think there is zero chance they move a guy who has dealt with injuries all along, into a different role heading into the playoffs

If he is healthy, he will start game 2

Anything can happen, especially with an offense like we have

But if Dallas and Lance don't start games 1 and 2 of a playoff series, and do so in top form, our chances of winning it all ain't great

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Im starting to get more optimistic. Just need to get them healthy and in the zone for the playoffs. Something tells me dallas will be fine and in the zone during the po's

Yall remember how dominant he was in the 2015 wild card game vs yankees?

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

There's absolute lately nothing that indicates keuchel is going to sniff the level he pitched earlier this year... he's downright terrible right now. Waiting for some miraculous turn around is a fool's errand for a team w World Series aspirations. Same thing w McCullers.

We're TOAST if this is what we can expect from him.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't disagree with what Keuchel said after the trade deadline...but I think he should maybe pull his own f***ing weight. He's been crap since he's been back, tonight included. Looks like 2016 Keuchel...just lobbing the ball up there in the zone at Little League speeds.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

His velocity has been down significantly...he doesn't even hit the 90s anymore. 87-88 mph are common. I think it's clear that he isn't healthy still, and that is what's most concerning to me.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Or maybe this is the new normal for Keuchel. It feels like he's been cursed ever since that article came out calling him more durable than the power aces.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Playoff rotation... McHugh, Peacock, Fiers, and Musgrove?

9. SemisolidSnake

My suggestions:

Keuchel shaves off his beard in shame.
    McCullers isn't allowed to see pregame movies or cut his hair.

Make them EARN their eccentricities and trademarks back.

This is the best I've got. I dunno know what to do with these two aside from getting them to better doctors and trainers.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  10. Malaya

Malaya Member

Put him on the DL again. Call up our minor league pitchers. Same results anyway for now--a probable loss. At least DK is able to rest and hopefully get healthy.

11. Malaya

Malaya Member

Do you think he's not trying? smh

It's his job, his future contract, a WS run at stake.

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Talk about posts that almost instantly aged poorly. Geez.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We wont know till the pos bruh. Dallas is still rusty. Geez

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's not what I said. I will grant that my post was written out of frustration at the moment. His 3rd outing against a team that's won 4 games since the All-Star break, theoretically, should've been the one where he showed he's ready for the stretch run and playoffs. Instead, it was 88 mph clunkers over the middle of the plate.

I don't doubt that he's trying. But there's something clearly still not right and if he's going to open his mouth, it had better be to the trainers NOW to help him get right...not to the press about the front office. If he didn't learn what not dealing with your arm issues early does last season, when will he? There is no World Series run without him being right.

DudeWah and chievous minniefield like this.
  15. AUstrofan

AUstrofan Member

Keuchel may be done as a top level starter. Everything just fell apart too quickly and isn't getting better over time. McCullers still has tools, but he's unreliable for what they count on him for. If the Astros truly want to be consistently in the post-season picture, this off season is going to need some hefty investment in pitching.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

ERA
    Italics (era <2.5)
    Normal (era 2.5-4.0)
    Bold (era > 4.0)

-------------APR---MAY----June----July---Aug
    DK---------1.21---2.88-----DL-----DL----11.00
    LMJ--------4.34---0.99----3.32----9.64---DL?
    McHugh----DL-----DL-----DL-----4.22---1.50 (one start)
    Morton----4.50---3.64----DL-----3.23---3.86
    Fiers--------5.12---4.86---2.32----2.89---7.30
    Peacock---0.79---3.21---3.33----2.42----RP

At least two starts for data. DL otherwise.

Kinda shows who-s done what by month. If the playoffs were tomorrow, id go with Peacock, McHugh, Morton. Since its not, based on what I am seeing, its going to end up being who is healthy and who is pitching best at the time. Peacock has by far been the most consistent followed by Morton. On McHugh, its too early. The rest of had sporadically bad months scattered among good/great ones.

edit: Just noticed LMJ has the cycle. One great month, one good one, one mediocre one, one terrible one, and found the DL twice.

#56 jim1961, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  17. Major

Major Member

"Over time" being 3 starts?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

The same could be said about Luhnow. If it's fair to criticize him for not performing, why not a player? Especially when the player complains about others not doing their jobs well.

DudeWah and chievous minniefield like this.
  19. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

To be fair, Keuchel has been falling apart for the better part of two seasons now.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  20. Malaya

Malaya Member

You again ...

What can DK do? His arm is not working ...

Different for Luhnow. He knew the weaknesses of the team (heck, fans like us knew) but blundered in not making an appropriate move.

If player cannot perform, you sit him out. He probably needs to recuperate.

If this year turns out to be a disaster, then rightly or wrongly Luhnow would get lion's share of the blame.