1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will House be better than Ariza was in playoffs this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Apr 19, 2019.

?

Who was/will be better in playoffs?

1. Ariza is better defensively, can guard every position

49 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. House is a better shooter by a big margin.

56 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. This thread is too early.

46 vote(s)
    30.5%
  1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Ariza last year vs house this year playoffs

Ariza had a knack to make momentum changing plays.

#1 BigBum, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    bj3175 likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The fact is that House + Faried + Rivers >>> Ariza + Johnson + Anderson. (Moute wasn't capable in the playoffs).

What's debatable is what score you want to assign to each guy.

House and Ariza play different roles. Rivers has taken more of Ariza's perimeter traffic-funnel role, and House has improved the scoring. Both have improved handles.

Koperboy, Handles, Bo6 and 30 others like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ariza’s biggest contribution wasn’t found in the box score, he was the glue guy and gave the team a strong defensive identity

Bo6, saleem, BigBum and 2 others like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

House is a rotation player, Ariza was starter.

5. SemisolidSnake

Agreed. That 0-9 spot from three he put up in Game 7 last year and 20% behind the arc for the whole series certainly had effects on our momentum.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

And harden is better. Probably Clint too

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I told a poster the other day that id take House over Ariza this year - and going forward...

No disrespect to Ariza - i appreciate all he did for us in the past... but hes on the decline - and House is ready for lift off!

...jus sayin... ;)

Hmc415, IvanLCPM, Denovo and 7 others like this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Ariza spent all energy on defense, no energy for offense?

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

I hope so.

fallenphoenix and BigBum like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's what i think, Ariza at 33, after doing it for all the season, had to guard Butler, Mitchell and Durant in three consecutive rounds, in the series against the Warriors he played like 40 minutes per game cause we had literally 7/8 players available/playable, i mean, i don't think it's a coincidence his last three games were all bad, he probably gave everything he had if not something more, and at that point he was just completely gassed.

Koperboy, Bo6, IvanLCPM and 12 others like this.
  11. macan

macan Member

hell yeah

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I can't express my opinion in simple words, so I'll just describe it that way.

The full score is 10.

Trevor is 5

House is 3-7.

Trevor can make his contribution more steadily, even if he can't shoot in some games, he can still provide reliable defense.

House is a playoff virgin,He may lose himself in some games, maybe bricks. But we have Harden, CP3, EG, Clint, and a group of tough and excellent guys on the bench, which can improve our fault tolerance rate. He can give us energy, although he can not provide as reliable as Trevor's defense, but on the other hand, he has something Trevor can not do: change offense and attack the basket.His performance level will fluctuate within a controllable range.

For example, when we fight Warriors, he can attack the basket, he can make fouls and get free throws, he can shoot 3, he can provide good physical confrontation, he may get 15-20 points and so on.
    While Trevor often can only do a single 3D function against Warriors, he will do his best to defend KD KT SC, but it is well known that these three people can not be defended.
    The reason I said these words is to tell you a truth: to defeat the warriors, excellent defense can only do 50% of the work, the remaining 50% of the work depends on the high level of our players in the offensive side to match the warriors'offensive firepower. Warriors can throw all kinds of fantastic balls. If we want to win the warriors, we must do the same. Only in this way can we respond and have a chance to win.

Trevor's contribution is too engineered and stable, like an unknown office worker who goes to and from work on time every day. That's why I don't think he can provide an exciting variable for the team to beat the Warriors.

More importantly, Trevor is 34 years old.House is under 26

Generally, although I miss Trevor's contribution, I am more excited by the unpredictable positive contribution House may bring to the team.

#12 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Apr 19, 2019
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We are almost forgetting that EG has been really good defensively and a better shooter as a Starter than Ariza. EG and Ariza both have trash dribbles. Ariza is a better rebounder though.

14. alethios

alethios Member

At making 3s, driving to the basket, overall scoring? Yes! Defense? No, but he's not a serious deficiency on defense either.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ariza was a liability on offense last playoffs due to shooting sub-30% 3PT.

His workload was huge the entire season, so that deserves mention.

#15 Houstunna, Apr 19, 2019
    Denovo and alethios like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Ariza was the Captain of the 0-27 brigade.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Ariza was one of those annoyingly limited rockets players like Shane battier or Luther head who could shoot but zero handles or ability to drive to the hoop. Very frustrating to see 2s and 3s without these skill sets. Ariza was unbearable to watch in situations where he had to drive from the corner 3 or Wing. Ugh. Glad he’s gone.

Hmc415, Denovo, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hard to say, House shoots better but in close games he seems to turn it over a lot. He doesn't have playoff experience.

You compare a kid who is more talented on O but inexperienced as hell to a championship level veteran role player.

But yeah, his game suits Rockets more. We still have not seen the Rockets shoot 30% or under 40%.

I dunno what happens when suddenly those shots go short or rim out.

All I know is we can't be shooting 46-50+% every night.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Will he go better than 0-12 in a series deciding game?

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. HROZ

HROZ Member

So last year's rotation was

Capela Nene
    Tucker
    Ariza Green
    Harden Gordon
    Paul

(Before the injury)
    This year it is

Capela Faried
    Tucker
    Gordon House
    Harden Green
    Paul Rivers

House I don't think is as good as Ariza was last year. But I think Faried is an upgrade over Nene, just letting us play the style we prefer. And Rivers Green is an upgrade over just Green.

We are asking more of Gordon this year and his ability to play the 3 will go a long way towards our success.

RocketRed84 and waytookrzy079 like this.