1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WILD FINISH Celtics beat lakers! 109-108

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TroyBaros, Feb 20, 2002.

1. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Wild finish with the Celtics and Lakers but clearly the shot clock over the backboard shows 00 and kobe still has the ball in hand
    Good call by the refs for a change.
    The shot clock that was shown on the tv in your far right corner is the overhead clock.

Needless to say wild finish and very good game Celtics win
    109-108
    Lakers have lost 3 in a row first time in Phils tenure as a Laker coach they have lost 3 in a row.:confused:

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

OOooooh I just saw the highlite. I cant believe these refs actually had the guts to make that call in LA.

Freakin Kobe!!!!!! Could he try to be anymore like Mike. With his freakin fist pumping and crap, thinking he made that shot. He is nothing without Shaq.

God I wish he would be without Shaq for an extended period of time!!!!! :mad:

3. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

I was one a naysayer of Kobe as well but the kid is a superstar no doubt. He is by no means a Michael Jordan but he is a first team NBAer.....

4. JJ

JJ Member

That was the first thing I though of when I saw the game last night.
    I was practically asleep, when all of a sudden the Celtics are only down by 4! Then Walker hits that crazy 3 ptr. I woke up and was like Whoa! After that I couldn't sleep for another hour, awesome game last night.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did anyone read the quote in the paper the other day when he was talking about Ruben Patterson. Kobe had just been shut down by Ruben, yet he was still saying how great he was and how he would kick Ruben's ass on a playground court, but with 5 on 5 it is easier for Ruben to play him well.

I mean, I try not to hate Kobe, but he cant even give a player congratulations for playing tough defense on him. Superstar or not, he presents an overall attitude that I just dont like.

EDIT: Here is the quote from this article.

But Bryant clearly struggled down the stretch, missing a pair of rushed jumpers, getting blocked from behind by Scottie Pippen on a layup attempt and throwing away a pass for a turnover.

Because of Patterson's defense?

"Who?" said Bryant.

"He's a good defender," Bryant said, "him, Scottie and the other guys they played well defensively. But (affect) me personally, not much."

Bryant wasn't done.

"If we bumped into each other in a gym and we played one-on-one, I will demolish him," he said. " But playing five-on-five, obviously it's a different mind state."

#5 JayZ750, Feb 20, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2002
  6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree on the attitude. I haven't liked him since he came into the spotlight as an NBA superstar.

7. BTM

BTM Member

I thought he got the shot off in time. But oh well.

That's why I love guys like Vince or Steve. They wanna be their own player.

8. R0ckets03

No doubt he is a superstar. But he is overrated regardless. He is not the single best player in the league. If he played for Detroit without a dominant big guy I highly doubt he would ranked as high as he is today.

Plus this sob has no style of his own. Everything he does he copies Jordan. Pumping his fists, sticking out his tongue, walking, every freakin thing!

Carter atleast has his own style.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What exactly is that style?

Choking in big games? Not wanting to take the final shot?

Carter can't hold Kobe's jock, no matter how cool you think his style may be.

10. BTM

BTM Member

IGNORANCE ALERT.

Holy ****, Carter is a huge big game player. You must've missed the 7-8 game winners he's hit over the past 2 years.

-Game winning dunk over Hakeem
    -2 Game winning treys against Denver
    -Buzzer beating trey against Boston
    -Layup w/ 3 seconds left against Phoenix
    -Game winning trey vs. Clippers
    -Game winning layup against NJ

Averaging 32ppg against Philly in the 2nd round last year. kidrock, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything. He's about as clutch as clutch gets in the NBA. Saying he doesn't want to take the last shot is just pure ignorance. Wow, really really out of touch with reality.

You're just remembering the one miss against Philly. Everyone misses big shots now and then. Michael's missed them. Kobe's missed them. Ivy's missed them. Steve's missed them.

11. R0ckets03

Thank you. I aint no big fan of Carter either. Actually I dont even like the guy. But atleast he doesnt copy Jordan in every facet of his life and game. Kobe is better defensively, but thats about it.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm not even sure if Kobe's all that much better defensively. Remember, he has the luxury of playing his man very tight, because who cares if the guard gets by him? He has Shaq behind him to swat it away. Put Carter on a team with a defensive enforcer like Shaq, and you'd be surprised how much better he'd look on defense.

13. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Regardless Lakers are not the team they were who won 2 rings and if they do not step up and get in gear they will be 2nd round exits!
    Regardless of who can hold whos jock the game last night should have never have gone down to the final buzzer beater.
    Lakers team depends on too much of bryant and shaq in crunch time when they too themselves should be stepping up.
    Fair call and took lots of guts to make the call on the lakers home court but the time keeper clearly .5 tenths of a second did not start the clock on time and I believe the refs knew this as well.

It goes back to the time when shaq put in a layup at the final buzzer the refs allowed it but clearly after seeing the play he still had the points of his fingers on the ball.

Bottom line is Love in Lakerville is not all harmony right now I would not put it past them to make some small trade to show the other players your not entirely untouchable.:cool: