1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Gerald Green much much better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Nov 15, 2018.

1. farhen

farhen Member

inconsistent through the years

2. macan

macan Member

GG has already reached his ceiling. he's on the wrong side of 30s. it's only gonna be downhill from here

3. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

As far as this season goes, I think he's simply just missing shots and does rely on the greatness of our superstars to help him get his rhythm. Because we started so terribly, he simply followed suit. He seemed to play better when our team overall does.

Overall for his career, I do think he lacks defensive awareness overall and is a bit on the thinner side to be physical enough to be present on defense. As far as offense, I do think he can hit incredibly tough, contested 3s due to his insane vertical/athleticism, but just doesn't excel at any other area to make him more of an offensive threat (handle, off-ball movement/cutting, postups, etc.).

I do think he's been a quality pick up thus far for such a modest price, and do expect him to elevate his game as the team holistically improves.

4. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I agree... But that's a far stretch from saying "He's just generally not good at the game of basketball."

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

His shooting form is inconsistent and that's because he's a little too focused on how his form looks aesthetically and underrates the importance of perfect repetition. You can see this in the fact that he's a consistently excellent FT shooter, but his seasonal 3pt% deviates from his average dramatically.

An improved shot would also give him more opportunity to attack the basket which would bring him an improved 2pt%, assist rate and/or FT rate.

On defense, he is playable now. He has a very mediocre wingspan for defense and often makes mistakes against clever opponents, but his effort and hustle make him decent.

Glad we have him. Wish we had given him way more shots off screens in Games 6 and 7 against the Warriors.

cbs1507 likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gerald is an amazing shooter when he is shooting open threes. The thing is, his supreme confidence has him taking some super tough ones at times.

The better our offense gets, the more efficient he will be. The NBA is in serious trouble If he gets heated up. He is a BAD man when he gets hot.

cbs1507 likes this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

im sorry :(

I love GG though, I hope he retires a Rocket.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why is Tyreke Evans not much better?

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I mentioned it before, but certain individuals ridiculed me for it. Green is simply not a good basketball player. He is a mediocre one at best. He has a ton of athleticism, a streaky shot, and a lot of heart and hustle. At the same time, he has poor handles, court vision, and BBIQ. That's why he's a terrible technical defender (gets by at times on heart and hustle, but never discipline), terrible shot selection, and a career jumping from one team to another. The Rockets just happen to fit perfectly with his strengths and covers his weaknesses brilliantly; Harden/CP3 chooses his shots for him and switching covers a lot of his 1 on 1 issues.

10. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Couldn't have said it better myself, particularly the last sentence. Heart and hustle and great for ESPN, posters, and fans who love emotion.

When it comes to basketball, dude barely has enough BBIQ to run a semi-decent pick and roll at this level, much less make the right pass or consistently create his own shot. He's not even a 3 and D guy, hes just a 3 guy - we put him in there for instant offense and that is about it - the system covers him bc our 2 superstar guards just happen to be ridiculous passers. Just sit outside, make the occasional cut, and run the floor - essentially uses his athleticism and our offensive system to earn himself a contract.

11. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Low BBIQ and can't give 30+ minutes with consistency IMO. I will say, when he's hot, Harden and Paul should run plays around him.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

In other words, he plays b-ball 1000 times better than you, but you don't enjoy his game. Is it fun being a "fan"?