1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who does Morey want as Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 30, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anyone got any ideas?

Rocket River

2. BreakYoSelfFool

Carmelo Notd'antoni

BigggReddd, RyanB and BigShasta like this.
  3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

phil jackson?

Ramo$e and matchesmalone like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

another puppet coach that plays fraudball.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6. macan

macan Member

can we get that coach who was coaching the dream team. Mike krazytaiga something like that

Highlyrated and RyanB like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Shane Battier?

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey has been secretly working on an AI coaching project all these years, ready to roll out this coming season

hajkov, Highlyrated, Bids9 and 12 others like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

no idea if he has any coaching experience, but would love to add him to the staff in some capacity.

I still think Lionel Hollins would be a great replacement for Jeff BizD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Morey probably wants who he wanted last time:

1) Lue
    2) Silas
    3) JVG

#10 smoothie, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Now i'm not sure i remember well but i think there were rumors about him not having interest in coaching after he retired, if that's actually true/right, i wonder if he changed his mind...regardless, would love to bring back Shane to work with the organization.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would have wanted him to join a Party and become President or a Mayor.

Vivi likes this.
  13. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Messina according to cyberx. Which would be amazing.

14. sheb

sheb Member

Rudy T
    ISO ball

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Assistant (fired in time)

MarGrave

Nook likes this.
  16. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

He wants the genius Chris Finch

RyanB and J.R. like this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Erik Spoelstra, Ime Udoka, Ettore Messina, Becky Hammon (though I don't see Fertitta as being secure enough to consider her), Adrian Griffin, Darvin Ham.

Rationale:

MDA is a coach who is willing to do fast/slow pace, extremely limited mid range, heavy PnR, never under utilizing players (i.e. the reason we tell players to shoot till they hit 36% from 3 while fans think that's an unwitting mistake).

I don't see Morey as wanted to go away from any of those strategies (and thank god). Those strategies have proven capable of extracting overachievement from virtually every roster we've ever had under Morey. We always seem to over perform and the past 2 teams have only been beatable by a dynasty. We have never lost a title we were favored to win. At the same time, we have not been able to overproduce enough to take down the dynasty.

The only strategy that some forward-thinking and winning organizations employ that we don't is more ball movement. We are one of the last teams in the NBA to continue to funnel entire offenses through floor generals. I'm sure you've noticed the trend of PG assists falling dramatically in the NBA. Our use of this strategy creates a bottle neck at which it is easy to suffocate us since we don't have second or third weapons to hold up our production when a statistically inevitable offensive drought shows up. On the Warriors, if ball movement with elite off ball players stops working, they go to the lite ISO game with Durant. If the ISO game with Durant is not working, they go to the 3-headed ball movement offense which runs through 2 varied sources (Curry and Draymond). It's obviously impossible to mimic that diversity of options without the components necessary to do it. Nor has any NBA team been able to show themselves as so significantly better than the Warriors on defense that it neutralizes that offensive war machine. Raptors might be the first team to be able to show they are significantly better than the Warriors on defense.

So the most likely scenario in my eyes is we are going to look for someone who does exactly what MDA does but with some ball movement. They are clearly aware that this tweak alone is not significant enough for us to overcome the same Warriors, which is why they have made public that everyone but Harden is up for grabs. This team is a talent upgrade and a coaching tweak away from being considered equal odds with NBA champions. It's not one or the other.

With all that in mind, my prediction is we will get someone who is just going to listen to Morey more than MDA. That person will be suitable for running more ball/player/transition action, but still agree that MDA/Bzdelik's system is the core of this team.

Highlyrated likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I really want Matt Bullard as a Coach, a player that has been Coached by Rudy, knows how to play in a uptempo system.

Won 2 Championships, He could be the next Rick Carlisle (He won with Larry Bird Celtics as a player)

He always talks about giving young players a chance to flourish, he saw firsthand a 2nd yr Robert Horry, a Rookie Sam Cassell can do in the playoffs, clutch 3s. As long as the rookie is confident and hungry, smart.

Mike DAntoni hates and never believes in Rookies, Rookie Montrezl Harrell never played in the Spurs 2015 series.
    When the Rockets had no energy.

Mike DAntoni 7 man Rotation, Stubborn Old Man

Rudy T - 10 man Rotation if somebody is injured etc, a hot hand shooting, playing great, he plays.

Ramo$e likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Matt Bullard - never actually coached a game at any level in his entire life

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Holllins is NOT a fan of their offensive style. To the extent I think he’d pass on a defensive assistant job.