1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Sep 5, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

So JD Davis is getting the start for Game 1?

HTown2017Champs, Tomstro and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

JD Davis can watch the game from home like everyone else.

Maybe Buck can invite JD and Mick Fry over to his property for a pig roast on game day. Buck can let us know if JD's head really is perfectly shaped like a block.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If someone like McHugh can't make the roster...Wow! Astros need bats and McCullers to get healthy, but besides that, this is a dominant team.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Peacock fills that role as well. And I’m presuming LMJ is going to make the roster. His post-season credentials certifies his big game pitching ability.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

if he's healthy you almost have to include LMJ... his performance out of the pen last postseason were pretty fantastic. i'd venture to guess if they had to choose between mchugh and peacock it'd probably be mchugh given his body of work this season but he has seen some regression of late.

either way it's a great problem to have but a problem nonetheless.

6. Jeremy Williams

Here's what I do:

C: McCann
    IF: Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Gurriel
    OF: Springer, Reddick, Kemp
    DH: White
    BN: Marisnick, Marwin, Gattis, Maldonado, Stassi (I take Stassi over JD Davis for the catching depth)
    SP: Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, Morton
    RP: Osuna, Rondon, Pressly, McHugh, Smith, Peacock, James (I leave off Sipp because I only see him as a situational LOOGY and I see more spot relief value out of James; I'm leaving McCullers off unless he can demonstrate his ability to regain elite form.)

7. HTown2017Champs

Stassi fans, you all do know that outside of his astronomical May, his numbers have been beyond atrocious? And, with him getting so few starts since trading for Maldonado, and NONE since McCann returned from the DL (only making occasional appearances as a late-game D-sub), I think it's clear that our starters do NOT like pitching to him. I think next offseason, he's traded. Davis>Stassi for that last spot (just me), and I do think we put one lefty reliever, but that's me. Anyway, for the ALCS (if we make it), I do think we swap one bench player for another bullpen arm.

8. Jeremy Williams

It isn't his bat I'd be after in the playoffs. It's the depth. If we need to take out Maldonado and/or McCann in order to get a key pinch hitter/runner in place in the late innings, I'd like to have the option to use Stassi.

9. HTown2017Champs

Please shed more light on this if you can, but someone talked about a 26th man rule, allowing a playoff team to add an extra catcher should one of theirs be hurt, and there's only one other on the roster. I do believe, however, that the commissioner must approve, and that's where it gets kind of gray, so I guess AJ doesn't want to risk running down that road.

Edit: Oh and someone on the Crawfish Boxes posted yesterday that we need to put Stassi on the playoff roster because he's our "best hitting cather". LOL, that guy probably hasn't been watching the Astros for months. That's why I put the bat comments in the original post.

10. Jeremy Williams

I believe if a player lands on the DL during the series, another player can be called up.

No Worries and HTown2017Champs like this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Okay, thanks.
    Also, the part about Stassi hitting was done to send a message if those guys from TCB happen to be reading this.

12. Jeremy Williams

No personal offense taken, of course. I just see the Stassi question more about his value as a backup catcher.

13. vince

vince Member

No doubt about it, some well deserving players will be left of the playoff roster. But so is the case with a team this deep. D-vo, Stassi, Harris, are likely going to find themselves on the outside looking in.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Devo's only current playoff value is if he miraculously begins shutting down LHH.

Bullpen is too stacked. Harris isn't even a legitimate candidate.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If I had to make a guess right now...

Osuna, Rondon, Smith, McHugh, Pressly are locks. It's down to the last 2 spots and I'd go with James for the power arm and Sipp for the lefty. You'll also have the game 2 starter available out of the pen for game 5.

16. HTown2017Champs

Yep, this is definitely true, as the format of the ALDS actually allows the manager to go with the Game 2 starter for Game 5 instead if he wants to. That's why I'd go with JV/Cole/Keuchel/Morton, instead of flipping the 2 and 3 like many suggest. I'd much rather have Cole be the one available out of the pen for obvious reasons (Keuchel just is not suited for the bullpen). But obviously, we hope that not only will it not come down to that, but also that we won't need a Game 5. Not sure how the Indians go, but
    Verlander vs Kluber
    Cole vs Bauer
    Keuchel vs Carrasco
    Morton vs Clevinger
    is what I predict, and how I'd want it (Astros perspective). I don't want Keuchel matched against Kluber or especially Tyler at all.

17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

James not getting any burn lately. Wonder if he's on the outside of the playoff roster now.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

McHugh's stock is falling.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they’re being cautious with him. Multi-inning roles on multi-days rest only. He’s going to be a borderline call anyway.

20. Buck Turgidson

He's a bit over his career high in IP too. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he's the Peacock/McHugh next year, if he's not the 5th starter.