1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Sep 5, 2018.

1. HTown2017Champs

Delete

#41 HTown2017Champs, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. HTown2017Champs

3. Malaya

Malaya Member

Hinch has said he's focused on division race and glad someone else will make the decisions. They will carry 4 starters and 7 relief pitchers.

Osuna, Rondon, Pressly, Smith are locks. Three spots left

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Sipp is a lock as well

5. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

6. Buck Turgidson

This guy is the wildcard (b****es):

#46 Buck Turgidson, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    No Worries likes this.
  7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

If LMJ is healthy he will be included leaving one more. Gotta make room for McHugh.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Certainly, the picture will get a little clearer as the regular season nears its end. I suppose what it will come down to in the end is "what you have you done lately" vs "what have you done in the past".

While its tempting to consider a guy like Josh James, would we put him ahead of someone like Devo? Valdez vs McCullers? Glad I dont have to make these choices.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they carry 11 again (for the ALDS), you've got four starters: Verlander, Cole, Keuchel, Morton. That leaves 7 for the pen. Osuna, Rondon, Pressly, McHugh, Sipp & Smith are locks.

That leaves one spot between: Peacock, Harris, Devo, possibly James. And we're not including the X-Factor: Lance McCullers, who almost certainly gets the final spot if he's healthy.

The question is keep asking: would they view a 12th pitcher > 14th batter? I suspect they might. If so, McCullers (or, if not healthy, Peacock) + Harris is my best guess.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tony Sipp is allowing a .802 OPS in the 2nd half. WHIP of 1.438. I think he will be in.

For me, Brad Peacock should be a lock. He was vital last postseason and has had a great year. The hard part is at least 1, probably 2 should be locks aren't making the roster.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the "what you have you done lately" vs "what have you done in the past", it depends on health, pitch quality. If a guy has a couple of bad games, but it was likely random luck, he's likely in if he has done it in the past. If a guy has a couple of bad games due to blisters or having trouble with a pitch, he may miss playoff roster even if he's likely a better pitcher most of the time than someone healthy.

On James, he looks great. Not sure if he will have enough time to prove he'll look the same way consistently. He's ahead of Devo, though at the moment. I expect Astros will try James as a starter next year, but he looks like he would be dominant in the pen.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

And McHugh.

Still think Astros carry 12 pitchers, there’s not a 14th position player who’s stepped up and deemed himself worthy of taking that extra spot from a reliever. And it’s a wasted spot in my opinion. Five in the outfield. Marwin, White, Kemp (2B) are essentially reserve infielders if need be. Kemp can fill the pinch hit/pinch run role and Marisnick can fill the pinch run/defense upgrade late role. It’s highly probable they sit on the pine the whole series.

Osuna, Rondon, McHugh, Smith, Pressly, Sipp are six I feel have proven themselves.

Right now I think Harris & Peacock are the best two options for the final spots. McCullers (on his game) would bump Peacock out of the mix. Devo is going to have to show all-star type stuff again to get back.

13. Buck Turgidson

You need to discern between the Series, you know they can change the roster after each one, right?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I agree with every word of your post, minus these 9 quoted above.... the Astros have made it *very* clear that they don't believe Tony Kemp is suited for a MLB infield. They're not going to suddenly reverse course on that in the playoffs.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Starting Pitchers -
    Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Charlie Morton, Dallas Keuchel

Relief Pitchers
    Framber Valdez, Collin McHugh, Lance McCullers Jr, Ryan Presley, Josh James, Hector Rondon, Roberto Osuna

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Forrest Whitley, Chris Devenski have health issues. Will Harris, Tony Sipp, Joe Smith I don't trust any of the 3 Veterans.
    Will Harris and Tony Sipp blew a 2015 Postseason Game vs KC Royals. Whenever they come in you have a bad feeling that will blow the game with a loss.
    Brad Peacock and Chris Devenski are not having a great season

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Framber has been too wild. I wouldn't be surprised if LMJ is left off until the ALCS (please let us make it there first). Sipp has been solid. Joe Smith, post-April has been great. I have a hard time imagining Devenski, Peacock, Harris off but... yeah. Just hope everyone stays healthy first.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unless you’re expecting one of your starters to get hurt, get rocked very early, or a game to go to extra innings... i’m Not sure that McHugh would be guaranteed a spot.

It’s just the unfortunate nature of being a bridge guy.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You need at least one multi-inning guy considering LMJ is not there yet. And I know each playoffs are independent events, but considering the Astros history in extra-inning playoff games... just hope the next 15+ inning game happens in a clinching game.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It is going to be interesting to see what happens.

I have been told the decisions are going to be very specific as to the opponent and little weight given to performance during the season.