1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Sep 5, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

You can assume any reasonable number you wish, but 12 pitchers is normally carried into the playoffs. To save repetition I think most of us can assume, barring injury or legal problems, that the following pitchers are locks: Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Charlie Morton, Dallas Keuchel, Lance McCullers, Collin McHugh, Ryan Pressly, Hector Rondon and Roberto Osuna.

That leaves 3 spots for eight possible contenders.

Tony Sipp has been a pleasant surprise this year, but since 8/17 he has a 10.13 ERA and a 6.75 FIP. More concerning is his recent control issues, 6.75 walks/9 during this time.

Perhaps the Impressive rookie, Framber Valdez, is a better LOOGY, or another hot prospect, Cionel Perez.

Joe Smith left a very bad first impression in Houston, with a 9.64 ERA in April. Since then it is 1.44, and 3.18 for the season. Can you leave him off?

There are four other righties: Will Harris, ERA 3.93, Brad Peacock, 3.03 ERA, Chris Devenski, 3.98 ERA, and the young flame thrower Josh James, he of 101 MPH fame.

Peacock has the lowest ERA, but he also has given up 10 home runs in 59 innings and has been inconsistent at times, allowing 2,73 BB/9

Devenski recently allowed 8 earned runs without getting an out, and since returning from the DL has only pitched once, 2 innings allowing 3 hits.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Smith, Peacock and Valdez.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think it's 11 locks. I would be shocked if Peacock or Smith were left off.

I also doubt they go into the postseason without a single LHP aside from DK. Tony Sipp's "recent control issues" consist of a grand total of 12 batters faced with 2 BB's. It's more than a little ridiculous to provide rates for such a small and cherry picked sample size. He has dominated lefties this year, and performed very well in the 2015 playoffs. Unless he struggles the rest of the way, no reason he shouldn't be on the roster.

Devo and Harris are gonna have to show a lot the rest of the way to even make it a competition. James could be a factor, not enough evidence yet.

#3 sealclubber1016, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    SS0101, kaleidosky and No Worries like this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

Smith, Peacock, and Sipp or Valez. Harris and Devo have lost their spots.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I still say it's only 11 pitchers for the ALDS series. They will go 14 position players. Marwin, in this scenario is starting LF. Gattis is not rostered, or if on the roster than he's there as the 3rd emergency catcher, but I'd lean to not on the roster.

SO

McCann
    Yuli
    Altuve
    Correa
    Bregman
    White- DH
    Marwin
    Springer
    Reddick

Bench
    Marisnick, Kemp, Fisher, Machette, Stassi

Rotation
    JV, Cole, Keuchel, Morton
    Bullpen
    Osuna, Rondon, Pressley, McHugh, Peacock, Smith, LMJ

Next 2 rounds with best of 7 then they will add a pitcher and the final roster spot will be between Kemp and Fisher, with my guess, if everyone is healthy, that Fisher gets the nod over Kemp as there isn't really a role for Kemp in PH as much as there is for Fisher in PR. Kemp is unplayable defensively in a playoff series, whereas Marsinick is valuable as a late inning substitute (replacing Marwin on the basepaths and in the field after Marwin's AB in the 6th, 7th or 8th depending upon the score of the game.

Who would you have Kemp PH for? He's not as fast as Fisher or as a good a baserunner as Marisnick. If you think Hinch is going to play Kemp as a starter over Marwin in the playoffs in LF I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

The only guy you would PH for is the catcher (also PR there of course late). Straight defensive replacement of McCann for Machete if Machete doesn't start. You want Stassi around as an emergency situation or so we can PR for Machette or MCCann in a game 5 type scenario of the WS (which we did- and that's why we had a 3rd catcher on the roster in the WS).

My guess is Sipp as the added pitcher in ALCS and WS if it gets to it. But, I could see an argument for James. Either way, I find it unlikely that oustide of extra innings anyone in the bullpen other than Osuna, Rodon, Pressley and LMJ get much in the way of high leverage run.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Fisher or Marisnick is used as PR, Kemp would PH for whoever pinch runs. Also, Kemp is insurance in case someone gets hurt and Marwin has to switch positions.

edwardc likes this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Peacock is a lock.

Smith is pretty much as well. I think Harris is also in. For all the Harris sucks that goes around, he is allowing .237/.291/.332 line. His FIP, xFIP, & SIERA are all great.

Devenski hasn't looked good since June.

8. HTown2017Champs

Can't see Fisher on the roster. Nothing special, can't see what he adds that Kemp/Marisnick don't. I think it will be Davis instead, then he gets removed for the ALCS.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Worst case scenario... one-game playoff... 15 positions players, 10 pitchers

Position players (Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Gurriel, Gonzalez, Marisnick, Kemp, White, Springer, Reddick, McCann, Gattis, Stassi, Maldonado, Fisher)
    Pitchers (Verlander, 2 of Keuchel/Morton/Cole, Pressly, Osuna, Rondon, Sipp, McHugh, Peacock, Smith)

10. Major

Major Member

Until McCullers shows he's healthy, I'm not sure why he'd be a lock.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

he did step up for hou in the ny series. game 7 and gets the last 12 outs. need players like him, who live for the big moments

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Fishers speed tool is better than any tool davis has. It’s not about finding the best 25 players for a short series it’s certain skills for roster construction.
    I should also note I’m not saying this is my preference in saying this is what I think the FO will do based upon past behavior.
    Maybe it’s not fisher it’s straw.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Sure - but at this point, we have no idea when he'll even step on a mound again. They already had to pause his rehab once, and it's not like the Astros' estimates of previous injuries have proven remotely accurate.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It does preface it by saying barring injury, so this is assuming health. If he can't pitch he obviously won't be on the roster.

Last season he can back from injury very late with 2 poor outings and had basically been terrible whenever he pitched for the entire 2nd half of the season, and he still was on the postseason roster. His arm is just too powerful to leave off unless he really can't go.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Peacock and Smith are in, barring a slump over the next few weeks. The last spot will simply come down to whomever is the hottest going in. I like the idea of James. I think you gotta have some power arms like that.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

if he's able to pitch, he should bring plenty of value to be on the playoff roster. I would certainly want him as an option in that pen

17. Major

Major Member

Certainly true, but last year's pitching staff didn't have the depth of this one. We were lacking both starters and relievers, so it's not like we had better alternatives to throw out there. If McCullers comes back in late September and pitches terribly like last year, I'm not sure it makes sense to have him on the ALDS roster with all the options they have this time around.

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think Astros carry 12 pitchers.

GM1 Verlander
    GM2 Keuchel
    GM3 Cole
    GM4* Morton
    GM5* Verlander

Bullpen:
    Osuna
    Rondon
    McHugh
    Smith
    Peacock
    Pressly
    Sipp should be locks.

Devenski is probably the favorite for the last spot but he’s still got to earn it over McCullers (if he returns and pitches well now that he’s been moved to the pen for 2018.) Perez, Valdez, Harris are probably in the theoretical mix for a 13th spot with Lance.

Position Players: McCann, Maldonado, Yuli, Altuve, Bregman, Correa, White, Reddick, Springer, Marwin, Kemp, Marisnick. Gattis probably gets the last spot unless Davis comes up and just rakes the Red Sox

19. HTown2017Champs

Jake has speed too, and waaaay better defense. Davis would be a RH pinch hitting option, and emergency corner infielder.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I have Jake on the team. I might be wrong. I’m also not advocating for that position it’s just what I think they will do