1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where will Kevin Sumlin end up?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Air Langhi, Dec 2, 2011.

?

where

1. atm

38.8%
  2. asu

11.3%
  3. uh

46.3%
  4. other

3.8%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

From the radio it sounds like a+m has made some secret deal with sumlin. But who knows. It just seemed like the timing of the firing was weird .

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He'll end up happy

3. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

And rich...er

4. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

odds on him bailing like a punk b**** before the bowl game?

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

It would be a BCS bowl game. If he pulled something like that before (arguably) the most important football game played in UH history, then good riddance.

It would speak volumes about his character and, frankly, should worry wherever he'd be leaving to.

6. plates300

plates300 Member

eh I said this in the other thread - Coaches that are currently going to coach in a bowl game, whether BCS or not, should not be contacted about job openings. Period. It messes up the dynamics of everything - see Brian Kelley doing Cinncinati dirty and leaving them for Notre Dame.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Meyer stayed for Utah and people question his character...I wont judge him

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and yet...if he takes this job, i don't see how he could avoid it. A&M desperately needs some stability heading into the SEC. they need someone to reassure recruits. i can't imagine sumlin would take the job with A&M and continue coaching for UH.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sumlin stayed with OU through their BCS game before coming to UH. In fact, that was one of the caveats he demanded. I suspect he would insist upon the same for whereever he goes next. This would be the crowning achievement of his career so far, I doubt he would throw it away.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahhh..i didn't realize that. thanks.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Regardless of what he's done in the past, i think not finishing what you started is an incredibly scummy thing to do. Goodness gracious, it's a BCS bowl, not the friggin Armed Forces Bowl!

On one level, regardless of what happens in the BCS game, he has everything to gain (if he wins -> awesome hire; if he loses -> UH was overrated and outmatched anyway). So, for his sake, he'd be stupid not to coach.

On another level, by not finishing the season he would be basically saying, "screw you guys and everything I have done here, I'm getting PAID."

Looking at everything he has done, said and stands for, I expect him to finish off the season/ his time at UH in the right manner.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Agreed. The timing of the firing did seem a bit odd. Everyone was so certain that Sherman was staying and now in the span of a few hours, he is gone for good. I find it hard to believe that Sherman's firing and Sumlin's interest in ASU happening at about the same were coincidental.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He will formally accept an offer in a few days and not coach UH in their bowl game.

14. droopy421

droopy421 Member

:confused:

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sumlin is a goner and UH will not let him coach the BCS game. Not sure that he'd want to. Once he accepts the big money at A&M or ASU, he needs to give them his full attention. Just like whoever coaches UH's bowl game owes them his undivided attention.

16. RedNews

RedNews Member

On the other hand, if he leaves before UH (likely) gets crushed in the BCS game, it doesn't tarnish his record.

I just heard that if UH wins tomorrow and gets the bid, every referee in CUSA will get a million dollars. It will be interesting to see how biased the officials are tomorrow.

17. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Do you have some special info, or is just your best guess. (Not that it's a bad guess)

18. droopy421

droopy421 Member

If he leaves which is a BIG possibility, he will still stay for the bowl game. No reason to not play in the bowl game when you make it this far in the season. As a coog I don't want him to go, but understand if he does. Money talks.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cincinnati kept Kelly for the bowl game right? That's actually not the norm.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My best guess.