1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats an easy vegetable to add into your diet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, May 25, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Awesome, this will get tried, for sure.

Have you ever done a smoked head of cabbage?

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no I should try it. do you prep the cabbage in any way?

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Baked sweet potato is a game changer.

R0ckets03 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Core out the cabbage, green cabbage but I guess you could do red, but don't cut it so much that it will fall apart (the stem side)
    Stick of butter (or less, if it's a smaller head) rolled in spice mix like onion/garlic powder, s/p, bit of chili powder, whatever
    Stuff stick of butter in cored-out hole in cabbage
    Wrap in foil
    Smoke for 3-4 hours or so, butter side up, as your meat is cooking, at 225-250

#24 Buck Turgidson, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. calcium

calcium Member

6. calcium

calcium Member

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Fry up a steak and you'll have something most veggies will go well with. I don't care for peas and carrots. So for veggie sides I usually do mashed swedes with butter, creamed spinach, and fresh cherry tomatoes.

Thinly sliced grilled aubergine is great on cheese toasties too.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Raw carrots are great. Cooked carrots are nasty (unless in a soup/stew). Same with celery.

9. body slam

body slam Member

Green beans and broccoli are my go to vegetables. Both are easy to make, can be made different ways, and taste good with just about anything.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Chopped garlic, sliced sweet onions and Balsamic Vinegar on cherry tomatoes are fantastic too.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know what the tastebuds are of a person who can't eat raw vegetables, raw broccoli is bomb, especially with ranch or hummus. Also, no salads breh??

Like others have said, steamed spinach with salt. Asian stir fry vegetables, I've been eating stir-fried asparagus and brussels sprouts in a spicy soy chili sauce lately and it's been delicious.

Roasted seaweed papers are also insanely good, much better then chips or fries IMO.

[​IMG]

My only concern is potential contamination from ocean pollution.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Those $1 packs of microwave steam veggies are great. Cheap, quick, and even my kids will eat them. I always get the mixed veggies so carrots, green beans, corn and peas.

Salad out of the box with a little lite vinaigrette. Kids like it with ranch.

Asparagus and broccoli are good as well.

My childhood horror was mustard or collard greens; slimy and tasted as bad they smelled ugh...

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Had been eating a lot of sauteed zucchini at lunch in the office. With extended WFH am starting to miss it, so threw some in my virtual shopping cart along with some yellow squash for the next time I do curbside from HEB. They would be good roasting as well.

How much of a fight do Swedes put up when you try to mash them?

I'm basically the opposite. Don't like carrots/celery raw at all, but do like them cooked in soups/stew/stuffing/Cajun food.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Vegetables were wiped out with the 2043 fluffy rabbit pandemic.

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

although technically a legume, beans are pretty easy to add and as long as you don't eat them refried they are very healthy and packed with protein. Steamed broccoli is very good, roasted cauliflower with olive oil, salt, and pepper is a good snack. Cauliflower rice is a game-changer, and it's not hard to make.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

A quick and easy side from someone who used to hate vegetables - take about 2 cups of fresh broccoli and 2 cups fresh cauliflower and throw them in a bowl - add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a ton of Montreal chicken or Montreal steak seasoning (I mean a whole lot) mix it well and spread it on a cookie sheet and bake it on 350 for about 12-15 minutes. When baked, cauliflower and broccoli take on the flavor of the seasoning and they taste a ton better than the steamed versions.

vlaurelio likes this.
  17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

for me, the easiest two to cook are the following.

broccoli - boil some water in a small pot - drop the broc in there, cover and let it boil for 30 seconds - pour out almost all of the water - keep the cover on and let it sit and steam for 5 minutes.

kale - heat up a pan with some olive oil - fry up the kale with a tomato and garlic for 10-15 minutes.

18. Buck Turgidson

Is is made of people?

Ottomaton likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Oh hell, greens are great if you cook 'em right. Stinks your kitchen up though.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Forgot I had a spaghetti squash sitting on the counter. Just popped it in the oven.

That's my biggest concern with cooking broccoli. I don't bake broccoli often, last time I did was in one of the HEB premade oven meals, due to the lingering broccoli smell haven't bought one with broccoli since.