1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would it take for 3rd seed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Feb 14, 2019.

1. SRR21

SRR21 Member

If Rockets can reach the 3rd seed will not see GSW till WCF.

Can OKC DEN POR maintain their spots?

5th seed Rockets 33-24.
    25 games remain

I am thinking HOU needs help and will have to go at least
    21-4. Very doubtful.

2nd 3rd 6th 7th seeds don't see GSW till WCF.

Am I over thinking this?
    Would it be better to see GSW early maybe 2nd round?

2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

just get everyone healthy for the playoff

Alvin Choo, napalm06, ISOBall and 5 others like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think the Rockets can catch the 3rd seed. If they would have beaten OKC and Minn they would be 1.5 games back. Catchable. Now they are 4.5 games back with 25 to play.

OKC has a tough schedule. But they are RISING to the challenge and the Rockets are losing games vs lottery Minnesota.

Denver has been iffy. But they are SIX games ahead of Houston. Denver would have to go 11-14 in the last 25 and the Rockets would have to go 18-7. Each would have 50 wins. I can see the Rockets on that pace. But I don't see Denver going 11-14 during that stretch.

I am of the belief that seeding matters. And would like to be on the opposite side of the bracket from GSW. So right now it is not optimal.

D-rock, napalm06, malakas and 5 others like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Houston will go 20-5 give or take a game/two for the final 25 games. whatever that seed is, doesn't really matter as long as hou goes into the playoffs healthy by that time. @ me after the final 25 games and the rockets are rolling

cdxiong, hakeem94, BeBreezy and 2 others like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A time machine to go back and actually win the games we're supposed to win

malakas, slothy420, Riz and 3 others like this.
  6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Just take 4th of 5th to meet them in the second round where it's more likely for them to be complacent and us to be healthy. Making it to the WCF and losing to them there is a consolation prize we don't need.

rhee likes this.
  7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The nicest thing I can say about the situation is that if, fully loaded, we're good enough to beat the Warriors, then we're going to win enough games to catch the Thunder or Nuggets. And if those two teams win at a sufficient clip to avoid being caught despite the Rockets getting hot, then they've earned higher seeding.

My bet is that we're not good enough to catch them or to beat the Warriors. But if we do catch them, it's an encouraging sign that we're going to be a very tough out.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's funny. If you can get your players healthy for the playoffs, then all teams would do it, and the advantage is negated. That's not all; we are the oldest team so we have the least chance of entering healthy.

What we need to get 3rd seed is to sign Morris and House so we have protection against injuries and tactical options in the rotation, as well as playing top 5 defense from the All Star break onwards (we are #25 in the NBA right now). Real contenders plan for injuries, they don't cross their fingers. Right now we can't afford to lose a key role player, much less Harden.

I don't care when we face GS - in fact the sooner the better - nor do I care about finishing 3rd over 4th - I feel like the competition (Portland, Utah or OKC) would be the same. The only benefit I see here is the higher likelihood of having home court advantage in the 2nd round because I feel like we will need it.

ickaruto, Der Rabbi and cdxiong like this.
  9. tnluong84

tnluong84 Member

Call me a pessimist, but we're not going to get 3rd. Granted, our team has been plagued with injuries for the majority of the season. Last season even with CP3 and Capela out, we still won most of our games. But this season we've been playing like crap. We seem to struggle more against lottery teams than we do against above .500 teams. We're just not as clutch this season. So although we may have an easier schedule for the the remaining 25 games, I highly doubt that we'll be able to make up grounds against Denver/OKC.

vick likes this.
  10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

You mean a time machine to go back last year and sit CP3 with 2 min left in WCF game 5

alethios, chadyang and J Sizzle like this.
  11. smp

smp Member

That would be a great start.

Or sit Luc in that meaningless game?

Or tell Ryno to quit trying to dunk the ball?

slothy420 and BigShasta like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

there was actually less than a min left

13. TheSource

TheSource Member

The rockets will go 25-0 and then go 16-0 in the playoffs

Feedoffdoubt and BigShasta like this.
  14. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Oh great one Sourcadamus.
    We believe your foresight to come true.

15. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

When is Clint expected to return? Feels like its be ages since he went out.

16. smokieethabear

What would it take to be the 3rd seed? See below:

Having a better record than the 4th seed! ;)

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  17. rockets13champs

5 okc loses and rockets won 5 more than OKC

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Seed matters. Conference Finals is better than second round in everything now and in the future.

Going deep in the playoffs means owners can afford to pay more luxury tax in the future.

Second round exit means declining, championship hopeless (too old) in near future.

#18 BigBum, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Nuggets 17-8
    Rockets 23-2 (beat GS twice, beat Nugget, Raptors, 76ers, Celtics and Bucks), lose 2 games to bad teams.

unlikely.

20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This is all what matters...have to beat them regardless...so might as well get rid of them early. amirite?