1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Rookie player is going to the D-League first?

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by zzpot, Sep 6, 2012.

1. zzpot

zzpot Member

knowing past history and that the Rockets use the D-league Vipers to give players minutes, Who is going first?

#1.. Donatas Motiejunas: I say no way he goes down to the Vipers.

#2.. Royce Alexander White: There is way too much X factor in this guy... He will not go to the Vipers first! But I think he could spend a stint there just for playing time and work. Who knows he may be first and play P/SF. Or is P/F. Point forward?

#3.. Terrence Jones: He should go down and play. Jones needs the time and he needs the minutes. He is NBA body ready. Jones is a superstar in the works..dude is a PF and C with mad handles but needs to grow NBA smarts, and fast.

#4.. Scott Machado: He is going down to the Vipers.. But who will go with him, and team up with him?

#5.. Jeremy Lamb: Is he the first or the last to see Viper time? Rigth now we have vets that play well over Lamb. Kevin Martin...Carlos Delfino.. Lamb and Jones could be a combo to play snake bite first for he Vipers.

What do you say?

List your player or players that will be first to the Vipers and why!!

Have some fun people... make a trade or 2..3..5 while your at it... get stupid.

zzpot:cool:

2. catch22

catch22 Member

you missed Lin, still a possibility

3. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I think Royce White will be 1st. I don't think T.Jones or Dmo is going. Lamb may go.

4. jocar

jocar Member

None, unless you wanna start the power dancers.

5. zzpot

zzpot Member

Nice try.. but Lin is in

LOL

zzpot

6. zzpot

zzpot Member

There is always a first for a power dancer... But can you name a year when someone did not go down to the Vipers?

zzpot.

7. zzpot

zzpot Member

I agree about D-Mo.. He is a Pro and is ready to play.

TJ is body NBA ready but not sure he is mind set to play.

Royce White is ready.. mind ..body ..and just grow as hell... Why send him down??

zzpot

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Which ever one talks too much.

9. zzpot

zzpot Member

fixed.

10. zzpot

zzpot Member

???:confused::confused:

Right now it is just speculation on the rookies going to the D-League..(Vipers)

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If they are really rebuilding, i don't think any of them will be sent down.

12. zzpot

zzpot Member

I know you are wrong BadLee... And you know you are wrong... Every year a player... (and now we have many rookie Players)... goes to the Vipers!

just list your pick or pickes!!

or don't list.. it's up to you.

zzpot:)

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You also have to look at the way they all came together in summer league. Chemistry like that in a short period of time is a pretty good sign.
    Besides, it would be a waste of time to send any of the rookies to the Vipers since, like many here say, we don't have a chance at the playoffs. It makes much more sense to give the rookies as much minutes as possible.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-If Scott Machado makes the final 15 man roster cut, I would be shocked if he ends up also winning the backup PG spot. He seems to play too wild and out of control to be relied on already to have that responsibility. Im pretty certain he's going to end up at RGV for most of the season barring injuries.

-Royce White might have the highest upside of any of the Rookies coming in, but he might struggle to find his way into a role right away. Might be similar situation to that of Marcus Morris where the player less highly regarded ends up leapfrogging him in training camp because he can do things that translate to helping the team win early in his career. Hopefully Royce figures it out much quicker than Morris did, but people on this board should be aware of the possibility that White might struggle to make an impact in his rookie season.

-Motiejunas will have his ups and downs in his rookie season, but my biggest concern isnt D-League or NBA rotation. Its staying healthy given his style of play. D-Mo loves to get banged around in the post, and does not shy away from contact. Thats great, but I noticed in Summer league that he is way too in love with falling on the court for a big man, especially on the defensive end when he trys to draw charges.

Yao Ming learned this early in his career that in the NBA as a big man, that fall from the charge can do more damage than it can benefit the team if it puts you on the sideline with an injury. This is something he's gonna have to learn when the likes of a Lebron James and Dwight Howard come flying in the lane.

-Jeremy Lamb's scoring ability seems to be much more advanced than his peers. I think in a few years players at his level will catch up to him, but that ability will keep him on the floor early in his career. That being said, If Kevin Martin is back to normal this season, and doesn't get traded, the front office might want to get him some more PT in the D-League anyways. That being said, I still think he's going to spend all of next season in the rotation.

-TJones- I think this kid has the ability to contribute right away. He's a Swiss Army knife. Wouldn't be shocked if he's the first big off the bench this season.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

AUSTIN VIPERS FTW!

definitely White I say, his skillset need to be tested, and they are not gona do it in real game first.

16. onreego

onreego Member

To be honest, I could see Morris seeing his way back down there. Just seems like the new guys will out-tween him.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I believe Royce White will be the first. He has a lot of work to do on his shot and on finishing.

I believe Jones may go as well, because his shot is not NBA quality yet.

I don't think anyone else will go except maybe Machado.

18. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

The rookie that was undrafted.

19. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

He (Royce) can't shoot very well and currently has some degree of trouble getting his shot off against NBA talent. Send him down for a few weeks or so to work on these areas. He's competing against guys that don't have these problems. Having said that, he may still not go. I just think he's most likely to be sent down.

Terrence was consistently good in Summer-league and performed well in match-ups against his peers before the draft. The comments from the Rockets staff about Terrence have been very positive. I think he finished in the top ten of best summer league players (according to nba.com). As you've stated, he already has an nba body. He also has a solid and fairly developed skill-set. I think he's going to be the starting 4. We'll see. Perhaps Ppat, or Dmo, will rise to the occasion.

20. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Are you rating Terrence's shot based upon what he did in college? He shot 50% in SL. Not sure about 3P%. If he's going to be a post player, I'd prefer that he doesn't jack up 3's anyway. Can anyone comment on his mid-range game in SL or post college?